Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difficulty Falling Asleep though Mask is Comfortable
RE: Difficulty Falling Asleep though Mask is Comfortable
(01-28-2016, 04:57 AM)holden4th Wrote: The Seatec premium model chin strap arrived today. I'm going to try it on my head tonight without the CPAP to see what happens. I'll add the CPAP this weekend.

A mixed nights sleep but mask and chinstrap taken off after 5-6 hours. I don't have a dry mouth so does this mean that the chin strap worked?

The one plus is that i find the combination of mask and strap to be bearable. I think I had some leaks but I believe that I had the mask too tight so there was little flexibility.

Post Reply Post Reply
A further update.

Last night I had my first whole night on the CPAP. While it took me a bit of time to get to sleep once I was under I carried on until about 12:30 am when I got up to go to the bathroom. My alarm woke me at 4:30 am and I think I had a good nights sleep - around 7 hours
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you still using the DreamWear mask? I switched from the cervical collar back to the c-shaped travel neck pillow I previously used for awhile. I think it is more comfortable--I tuck one end under my chin so it doesn't drop down. I had trouble sleeping--or getting to sleep--before starting the PAP routine. I put a blue light filter on my computers as I am usually on them until bedtime--not good. My PCP told me to take Melatonin--I take 5 mg in a tablet that dissolves on my tongue just before going to bed. Something worked--I sleep much better. It took at least a month before I got to sleep in less than an hour before trying these two things.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamwear mask is working fine and I don't think I've got any leaks. The idea of the C shaped travel pillow is interesting and I'd love some more information. Do you wear it as normal or reversed? Could I wear it normally in place of my current pillows? Will this make mask leaks even less likely?

BTW had another full night of CPAP and I think it's starting to work. I can't be fully sure as I've got a virus at the moment which is obviously going to leave some feelings of fatigue.
Post Reply Post Reply
I put the travel pillow on normally, then pull one end under my chin. I use a contoured foam pillow--I usually sleep mostly on the pillow with the travel pillow on it--kind of drop my head into the "valley" be the higher front and rear of the contour pillow. Sounds weird but is pretty comfortable. I need to keep my chin up--I can have awake apnea if I lie on my back and drop my chin, then breath deeply through my nose--blocks the exhale. At the moment I'm having a terrible time with the DreamWear leaking--i just started with a new cushion and I almost think it is defective. It always leaks in the same place.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a Philips Respironics chin strap underneath my Dreamwear, and have good success with using both. Not a huge fan of full face masks, or nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 144 2 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 268 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 832 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,869 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.