Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difficulty Falling Asleep
RE: Difficulty Falling Asleep
I use a hose hanger that is located above and slightly behind my head. I don't even know that I have a hose attached.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find that the Dreamwear makes noise if something is near the vent. There is a vent under the nose and one on top of the head. (I don't know why.) If the top of my head is near the headboard, I get noise. If I move down a few inches, it is much quieter.

Ambien helped me get used to cpap. A lot of sources say it should only be a temporary solution. It can be addictive. After a month or so it will be less effective. A few months will affect short term memory and can cause daytime sleepiness. I started out with 10 mg. After a couple months, I switched to 5 mg. A couple of months later, I recognized the memory loss issues. I switched to 2.5 mg. A year after I started, I take 2.5 mg 2 or 3 times a week.

Some people say melatonin helps, but I don't think so.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2019, 01:51 PM)Vfrayer Wrote: I have read previous posts and threads concerning this issue, my difficulty is the Darth Vader-like sound that the rushing air creates in my head. I've tried to mask it with white noise via headphones, meditation, and relaxation routines. Prior to my cpap machine my breathing was very quiet and I fell asleep quickly. Now I must be completely exhausted before I turn on the machine and then it usually takes an hour to fall asleep. I'm averaging less than 6 hours a night and now have begun having morning headaches again. Sleep deprivation is equally as bad as apnea and is affecting the quality of my life. Does anyone take sleep medication? If so, are there unwanted side effects? I have had my machine for almost a year and have faithfully used it. I'm sure it has helped in some way, breathing is a good thing!
Thanks for reading, and I look forward to feedback.

I take zolpidem(ambien) 5mg, i take one before sleep, one in the middle of the night when I wake up, and sometimes one in the evening to nap for an hour or two. No side effects, I have been running this for months now, before I took Doxepin and it's effects lasted for 24h so it was not suitable. Zolpidem lasts for up to 2h so by the time I wake up it's already gone.

As for it being addictive? The way I see it, if you take something and you spiral out of control and end up homeless, that's an addiction. Can't sleep and you need that 1 little push to have a good nights sleep? That's not. I'm happily going to take this pill for the rest of my life if I can get good sleep on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been taking Diphenhydramine HCI (50 mg.) Soft-Gel Caplets for a few years now. I buy them over-the-counter @ Walmart. Bottle of 100 for $9.87.

For me, they work well. There are times if I go w/o, I simply cannot fall asleep. Even though they are intended to be a single dose, I take two. 

I've tried other sleep aids in the past, and these seem to do the job for me. I don't particularly like taking a medication to fall to sleep, but the alternative of not sleeping is far worse. I never had an issue when I was younger with sleeping. But, as you grow older, things do change and it's not always a positive one at that. 

Now, if I could just figure out a way so that I didn't have to get up so many times during the night to use the john.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Go to bed dehydrated.  I drink little after my three or four vats of tee in the morning, maybe another two glasses of liquid. I might have a snack before bed, and that involves a glass of milk....supposed to help sleep.  But, by the time I go to bed I don't have to pee again until morning.  Hey, it works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 9 88 1 hour ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 46 2,146 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Improvement after adjustments - still can't stay asleep DKane 0 75 04-12-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: DKane
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,116 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 10 358 04-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: DKane
  Predicting overnight minimum SP02 before falling asleep dfunk 0 111 04-02-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfunk
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 999 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.