Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difficulty Falling Asleep
Difficulty Falling Asleep
I have read previous posts and threads concerning this issue, my difficulty is the Darth Vader-like sound that the rushing air creates in my head. I've tried to mask it with white noise via headphones, meditation, and relaxation routines. Prior to my cpap machine my breathing was very quiet and I fell asleep quickly. Now I must be completely exhausted before I turn on the machine and then it usually takes an hour to fall asleep. I'm averaging less than 6 hours a night and now have begun having morning headaches again. Sleep deprivation is equally as bad as apnea and is affecting the quality of my life. Does anyone take sleep medication? If so, are there unwanted side effects? I have had my machine for almost a year and have faithfully used it. I'm sure it has helped in some way, breathing is a good thing!
Thanks for reading, and I look forward to feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Difficulty Falling Asleep
I had a lot of trouble getting to sleep with the various gadgets I tried before accepting that I needed CPAP.

I did have a little trouble with the noise from an N30i, which has a hollow Dreamwear-like frame and front vents with no diffuser. Earplugs helped a lot (I used HearOs from a local music store). With anything else, it's not so bad. Instead of trying to block out the noise, I focus on it and on making my breathing slow, smooth, and even. I'm really focusing as much or more more on the breathing, with the wind-like noise from the machine as feedback for how I'm doing. I'm really falling asleep much faster with CPAP than I did without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wife and I slept apart for a few years until she begged me to come back.  Not 'begged', but asked very nicely...she missed me nearby.  So (sigh), I relented.  We both took to wearing earplugs so that if one of us began to run the diesel at night, the other would probably, hopefully, ideally.....stay asleep.

That was a few years ago, and I'm happy to relate this experience, but more-so to point out that wearing earplugs is an integral part of my own sleep success now that I am using a PAP machine.  It's not particularly noisy, neither mask nor machine, but little things get in the way of my sleep.  My wife now uses a collar and snores much less (WHEW!!!).  I'm the only one who uses a machine, and find that wearing earplugs really helps to dull things down.

I have used rubber ribbed earplugs, over-the-ears headphone hearing protectors, foam inserts for the ears....and the very best by a country mile are the silicone moldable ones that come in a clear hard plastic four-pack at your pharmacy.  They're amazing.  They can be used for a week or more, so it's not like you wear them once and discard them.  Often a single plug, one meant for each ear, can be pinched in half and used, a half-of-one in each ear.  It depends on your need and your ears, but mine seal well at half-size.  So, a pack can be stretched even further that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate your replies, however, it seems I have not communicated my issue accurately. My machine is not noisy it is the sound of the air blowing INSIDE my head that causes my difficulty. Earplugs won't mitigate this sound. I will try becoming "one" with the sound, unless I find that some medication will help in drifting off!
Post Reply Post Reply
Deleted ramblings ....
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2019, 03:51 PM)Vfrayer Wrote: My machine is not noisy it is the sound of the air blowing INSIDE my head that causes my difficulty. Earplugs won't mitigate this sound. 

Have you tried them (you mentioned white-noise headphones, meditation and relaxation, but not earplugs).  I was similarly annoyed by the sound of my exhalation, and didn't really think earplugs would do anything, but I wear earplugs all the time as a motorcyclist, so I had plenty around to try.  And guess what: they worked for me!  They don't completely knock out the sound of the air, and if I listen really carefully, I can just make out the variable fan sound of my CPAP machine, but it reduces the din substantially, and that's enough to let me go to sleep.

So, for the price of a pair of disposable foamies, I'd give it a try.  It won't be any worse than what you have going on now.
Post Reply Post Reply
What the Wrench just said.

...and I had hoped to bolster the original suggestion that the proper type of earplugs, worn properly, CAN substantially reduce noise that apparently is running through your jaw, pharyngeal tissue, and eustachian tubes.  I had hoped to make it clear that, even though my own machine and its emissions are relatively quiet, I still NEED EARPLUGS in order to reduce intrusive noises from all sources.  And, that it works for me.  Like the Wrench, I had intended to convey that earplugs will quite possibly, if you locate ones that work best for you, help to reduce the intrusive noises.

Just as a tip, and I do think it's worth a try, after pinching the large puck in two, I use my thumb and forefinger to roll a small point of the material which I will then insert into the ear canal.  It must be thin enough not to jam, and not so long that it impinges on your eardrum.  When the tip is inserted, mash the rest of the mass against your ear opening so that you know by the change of sounds that you have achieved a solid seal.

It may not work.  It may.  For the $2.00 outlay, it's worth a shot....no?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't hear air blowing inside my head, but if I shake my head fast enough, I do get a rattling sound.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Vfrayer,
I too have/had problems with the noise of the air turbulence in the Dreamwear mask.  I don't use it anymore.  I've found the F&P Brevida and the Resmed P10 to be more acceptable, if for no other reason than the noise.  In case you are unfamiliar with these two masks, they both are nasal pillow type designs without the air supply routed up around your head.

I hope you find an acceptable mask.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, interesting, I didn't think the noise might be from the Dreamwear head loop (which is also what I use). I thought the loop was a pretty good way of connecting the air supply to an out-of-the-way location; I can't imagine trying to sleep with a hose coming off my nose (like some of the pictures on the front page of the ApneaBoard website).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 46 2,117 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Improvement after adjustments - still can't stay asleep DKane 0 65 04-12-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: DKane
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,065 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 10 337 04-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: DKane
  Predicting overnight minimum SP02 before falling asleep dfunk 0 102 04-02-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfunk
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 370 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 991 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.