Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difficulty adjusting to Resmed ASV machine
Difficulty adjusting to Resmed ASV machine
I have been using the Resmed Airsense ASV machine now for two weeks and I am having a little difficulty adjusting to it.  I previously had a Resmed Airsense Auto and was okay but was apparently experiencing too many centrals.  It seems that with the ASV machine, if I stop breathing for just 2 seconds it kicks in.  I get it but is there a way to adjust the machine so that it kicks in when I stop breating for say 5 seconds instead of a shorter 2 seonds.  There are times when I natrually will stop breathing for a very short period of time and bang the machine does what it suppose to do.   In fact I initiated the ramp up to overcome this problem to better fall asleep.   I am sure there are ASV users out there that might be able to give me a few pointers to better assist me in adjusting to the machine.  It seems like I was sleeping better with the Auto machine instead.
RE: Difficulty adjusting to Resmed ASV machine
G'day ckingzzzs.

Can you confirm which machine you're using, as your profile indicates it's a VAuto which is not an ASV machine. Likewise your pressure settings don't look appropriate for an ASV.
We're going to need a rundown on your settings.  The easiest way is to post a chart but a list of settings you are using would at least give us a clue where to start FWIW, this is what I said to you in December before Christmas.

Sleeprider
ckingzzzs, be aware that you are currently in an insurance mandated progression, that first tried CPAP/APAP, and will now try the next level, BiPAP to resolve your AHI that is predominately central or complex in nature. Bilevel will be more comfortable for you, and it may help, but it's unlikely to resolve the problem because it still relies on your spontaneous initiation of a breath. If you continue to see high levels of central apnea, you should shortcut your doctor's recommendation of a 3-month trial, and get to the ASV therapy you probably need.

Best of luck, and hope it works for you. Don't hesitate to ask questions, or to question your doctor if you fail to see positive results from bilevel alone. BiPAP is a trademark of Respironics, and VPAP is the term used for bilevel at Resmed. You will get either an Aircurve 10 Vauto or the 10S version which is not auto adjusting. You will probably end up with the Aircurve 10 ASV unless you for some reason respond to bilevel. Also, with an AHI less than 15, insurance may not allow the ASV level since it is about twice as expensive as VAuto.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Hi ckingzzzs,

At the top of the page is a link to your UserCP which takes you to your User Control Panel. At lower left of your User Control Panel will be a link for updating your profile.

ResMed ASV machines do not have an adjustment for how soon the ASV algorithm kicks in. The setup manual (clinical guide) explains all settings. You can request a copy be emailed to you. The link is at the top of the forum in the Important Threads section.

We need to learn to breathe at our own desired rate. When I stop breathing even a short while to swallow or turn over, the ASV algorithm kicks in very soon, but I just ignore it and breathe at my own rate.

You'll get used to it. Also, can use the Ramp function to delay start of ASV algorithm.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Ckingzzz has another thread on this topic here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ASV--17711

To keep things tidy I'll close this thread - please direct all responses to the other one.

Thanks
Paul

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,757 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 293 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,347 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Need help adjusting settings cokepi 1 130 03-08-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Are the ResMed Aircurve 10 S and ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto the "exact same machine"? kkjacks 3 267 02-20-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Help with reading OSCAR and adjusting settings deirdrepen 2 237 01-24-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.