Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difficulty breathing after taking mask off in morning.
Difficulty breathing after taking mask off in morning.
After using cpap over night, when I remove my mask, Phillips under the nose, I feel like someone is sitting on my chest and it is hard to breathe. Usually this only lasts for 5 or 10 minutes....but yesterday this lasted for about 6 hours. I am wondering if I might be allergic to the silicone mask.....has anyone else had this problem?

Of course I am going to call my doctor on monday.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Difficulty breathing after taking mask off in morning.
Any sort of under-nose mask is going to open the sinuses. The air inside your nose is at CPAP pressure, while the air outside your nose is at atmospheric pressure. This works the same way that it does in your throat. When you remove that pressure, your nose will shrink back to the normal size.

This is a big deal for me with a badly deviated septum - I depend on that effect to help me breathe at night.

It might be worth turning your humidity up a bit though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2019, 09:14 AM)ragtopcircus Wrote: Any sort of under-nose mask is going to open the sinuses. The air inside your nose is at CPAP pressure, while the air outside your nose is at atmospheric pressure. This works the same way that it does in your throat. When you remove that pressure, your nose will shrink back to the normal size.

This is a big deal for me with a badly deviated septum - I depend on that effect to help me breathe at night.

It might be worth turning your humidity up a bit though.

Thanks for the info...will ask my doc about doing that and see what he says. At this point I don't want to go through another 6 hours of difficulty breathing...I am off of CPAP until talking to my doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2019, 08:49 AM)Randarino Wrote: After using cpap over night, when I remove my mask, Phillips under the nose, I feel like someone is sitting on my chest and it is hard to breathe. Usually this only lasts for 5 or 10 minutes....but yesterday this lasted for about 6 hours. I am wondering if I might be allergic to the silicone mask.....has anyone else had this problem?

Randarino,
It could be just because your new to this. Sometimes, we concentrate too much on our breathing and put extra effort into it, which in turn causes muscle aches around the diaphragm area.

I experienced this when I first started, but the “elephant sitting on your chest feeling” disappeared once I learned to trust my machine and breath normally. Your breathing with a mask on shouldn’t require more effort than normal.

I don’t know about a reaction to silicone causing that type of sensation in your chest, but could be possible. Call your doctor if it continues.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks....OpelRose....that sounds reasonable to me. I may try wearing the mask during the day for short periods of time and see if I catch myself over-breathing.

Hope you are right.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you have some spine issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2019, 09:56 AM)Randarino Wrote: Thanks....OpelRose....that sounds reasonable to me. I may try wearing the mask during the day for short periods of time and see if I catch myself over-breathing.

Hope you are right.

Good idea. I had to wear my mask as a newbie to get comfortable with the mask and the pressure. Hope it helps, and sincere welcome to Apnea Board.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2019, 11:20 AM)crowtor Wrote: Sounds like you have some spine issues.

WHAT?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2019, 12:21 PM)Randarino Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 11:20 AM)crowtor Wrote: Sounds like you have some spine issues.

WHAT?

Quote:sitting on my chest and it is hard to breathe; lasts for 5 or 10 minutes

This sounds like a heart attack, but since last time it lasted 6h its a spine issue most likely. Now alot of people get pain in their chest from having the muscles and ligaments not used to internal pressure, but you also say you have difficulty breathing, which should not happen, unless you're exaggerating.

It's not uncommon to have spine issue together with chest issues, its all interconnected. You're issue sounds like something went out of alignment, but I'd advice against going to a chiropractic unless its a gonstead chiro, and only a gonstead.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2019, 08:49 AM)Randarino Wrote: After using cpap over night, when I remove my mask, Phillips under the nose, I feel like someone is sitting on my chest and it is hard to breathe. Usually this only lasts for 5 or 10 minutes....but yesterday this lasted for about 6 hours. I am wondering if I might be allergic to the silicone mask.....has anyone else had this problem?

It would be great to see an OSCAR chart of your night and see what is going on.  CPAP opens the respiratory passages and it can take a few nights to become adjusted to it.  CPAP does provide respiratory assist, although bilevel does this more noticeably, and you mayjust feel the extra effort of breathing without the pressure. I would advise to continue therapy rather than hold off for your doctor's advise, simply because you are in a compliance period for insurance to pay off the equipment. 

I understand where Crowter is coming from, but I think it is necessarily alarming in the extreme, and should probably be disregarded.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,174 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Jorgo
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,781 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 118 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 123 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 175 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  ENT / Morning Sleep r4robin 4 206 03-07-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: r4robin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.