Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difficulty with f30 mask
RE: Difficulty with f30 mask
Also, my nose always itches just as I finally get the F20 to stop leaking.

Ain't that the truth! I'm learning to just ignore it.  Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2019, 10:56 AM)ragtopcircus Wrote: I did try enlarging the nostril holes slightly. I did it seeking more air, because the best position for leaks and the best position for airflow were not the same with my crooked nose. While it wasn’t my purpose, a side-effect is that it is more comfortable.

This is just a hack job. I was experimenting with snipping off a little at a time with scissors that were too big for the job. The next one will be better ....

Instead of using scissors, see if you can find an old-school paper hole punch for a single hole.  The tool might have a "throat" (for lack of better term) long enough to straddle the edge of the F30 without damaging it, and you could get the tool's "business end" up where you need it and just nibble small crescent shaped slivers away until you have what you want.

I guess I'm lucky in the sense that the medium F30 seems to fit my face as perfectly as one could hope.  But it took me a year to finally find "the perfect" mask.  The F20 was certainly a good mask for me, but my face measures squarely between medium and large.  And both had very distinct problems with fit and leakage problems.

Daves677 mentioned the Dr. Dakota Collar collar.  I think I'm going to get one, but for the purpose of keeping my mouth closed, so as to not dry out my mouth.  Something like this might also help AMF1 to keep the F30/F20 lower seal off your dental implants too.  I think it is cheap enough to try.  The Eliminator has also been mentioned in a few discussions, but the pictures on Amazon make it look huge as compared to the "now unavailable" Dr. Dakota.  I have tried a small-ish soft cervical collar but it seemed to be too thick and uncomfortable - couldn't get to sleep and it actually hurt my neck to use.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2019, 11:48 AM)ragtopcircus Wrote: I can breathe much better through my nose with the F30, even unaltered, than I can with the F20.

I do find it easier to breathe through my mouth with the F20. Maybe because it allows a little more movement of the jaw, or maybe because I feel less of a blast of air on my lip.

I sleep better if I breathe through my nose though.

Also, my nose always itches just as I finally get the F20 to stop leaking.

That is the main problem with the Resmed F20 the itchy nose, and trying to scatch it by forcing your finger under the memory foam to get to it, I am now trying the Resmed F30i with the nasal pillows, but have to use a chin strap even though I'm a nose breather my mouth is openning when asleep
Post Reply Post Reply
Wonder if there's a market then for a specialized tool you slide under the mask seal to scratch your nose. It would need to be thin enough not to break the seal you just got settled.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 12:03 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Wonder if there's a market then for a specialized tool you slide under the mask seal to scratch your nose. It would need to be thin enough not to break the seal you just got settled.

How about one of those wooden coffee stirring/lolly sticks
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 03:43 PM)jaswilliams Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 12:03 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Wonder if there's a market then for a specialized tool you slide under the mask seal to scratch your nose. It would need to be thin enough not to break the seal you just got settled.

How about one of those wooden coffee stirring/lolly sticks

Good try but probably not. 1) I'd rather use it to stir coffee and 2) someone would poke an eye out, we'd be sued for endangering the public, and issuing dangerous weapons without background checks.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's your lucky day! I just came across this the other night - the Phillips Amara View headgear is your solution! Just for emphasis - all you need is the headgear - it fits the F30 perfectly. It's on amazon for like $25. The straps are much more user friendly and allow for various positions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 04:13 PM)mike291068 Wrote: It's your lucky day! I just came across this the other night - the Phillips Amara View headgear is your solution! Just for emphasis - all you need is the headgear - it fits the F30 perfectly. It's on amazon for like $25. The straps are much more user friendly and allow for various positions.

Hey, thanks for the great tip Mike.

I just placed my order.  One thing I like the looks of, is the convergence panel at the back of the head is much larger than the ResMed headgear.  And all that concentration of pressure in a small area seems to give me a headache.  It's been much better since switching from the F20 to F30, but I'm looking forward to giving this a try.  Also, it looks like they have a bit more velcro on each adjustment point too.

Thanks
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
my pleasure! yes the F30 not only jammed my ears but sat right on the tip of my quickly receding hairline and was uncomfortable as hell! You will love the new straps. It's like night and day - so many different ways to adjust it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I saw that response on a different site and I also ordered the amara view headgear.  I did not find it much different, the straps still dig into my ears.  
As I said when this thread started my biggest problem is the redness and irritation I get on my nasal septum when I use the F30.  Still won’t give up and will continue to try and tweak things.  
Thanks for all who responded and if anyone else has ideas please let me know.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,752 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 804 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  [Treatment] Difficulty with TECSA and Hypopneas jjl468 7 1,031 08-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: jjl468
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,523 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,204 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  anyone else have difficulty clearing throat? martyedb 10 1,488 04-29-2022, 03:50 AM
Last Post: Mso43
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,747 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.