Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dirty humidifier water
Dirty humidifier water
My wife's PR 560 has a humidifier where the water gets dirty/cloudy/floaties in it after a night, even though both filters are in place.

I'm guessing there must be a suction leak somewhere, but have no idea where to look.

Is this fixable, or just time to replace the machine? It's at least 4 years old, maybe 5.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dirty humidifier water
Not too familiar with the machine but sounds like maybe the gasket/seals are starting to deteriorate.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 02:12 PM)Terry Wrote: My wife's PR 560 has a humidifier where the water gets dirty/cloudy/floaties in it after a night, even though both filters are in place.

I'm guessing there must be a suction leak somewhere, but have no idea where to look.

Is this fixable, or just time to replace the machine? It's at least 4 years old, maybe 5.

Most likely it's simply time for a new machine; however you can always contact the manufacturer to see if they have any suggestions or replacement parts available. That does not sound like a trivial problem

I would absolutely NOT use this machine any longer, though. Who knows what your wife is inhaling if the water is that dirty after a night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried a tank replacement?
Post Reply Post Reply
I doubt you need a new machine. The PRS1 560 has what is called a "dry box" that is outfitted with silicon seals that are critical to the proper sealing and operation of the unit. The Dry Box seals and humidifier lid seal are very inexpensive and can be acquired from Supplier #1. Be absolutely certain that the humidifier tank is completely clean and disinfected. There are so many small crevices in that tank it can be very hard to clean. Contamination from a culture in the tank could cause the water to become cloudy in a single night.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 04:05 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I doubt you need a new machine. The PRS1 560 has what is called a "dry box" that is outfitted with silicon seals that are critical to the proper sealing and operation of the unit. The Dry Box seals and humidifier lid seal are very inexpensive and can be acquired from Supplier #1. Be absolutely certain that the humidifier tank is completely clean and disinfected. There are so many small crevices in that tank it can be very hard to clean. Contamination from a culture in the tank could cause the water to become cloudy in a single night.

That's interesting. I'll have to take a look tonight.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 03:36 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Have you tried a tank replacement?

Nope. There didn't seem to be anything wrong with the tank.

I'll have to give it a closer look.

I'm not sure what could be growing in there even if it did have something in it, since it's filled with distilled water and there wouldn't be any nutrients or light.

I might take it apart tonight and see if anything is broken/cracked inside. I seem to remember that it hit the floor at one point, although that could have been the prior machine. Since it's picking up actual "stuff" like animal hair, I'm thinking it much be some sort of suction leak, which would be on the "intake" side of the blower.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you're the least bit handy that machine can be completely disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. You'll need a torx driver for some of the screws. The turbine blade assembly stays attached to the motor, but you can soak the turbine blades in a solution of cleaner such as rubbing alcohol, and then clean with a small brush. Just make sure the cleaning solution level is low enough that the solution can't get into the motor.

The thing is, though, all of that stuff is downstream of the humidifier tank!

Oh! I just realized what it might be. The tanks themselves are disposable. The replacement schedule is 6 months. I had one fall apart on me as I was carrying it from the sink to the machine. The seals failed where the metal heat plate meets the plastic.

Those tanks are put to shame by the ResMed S9 tanks. Anybody who's used both will tell you that.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If its pulling stuff as big as hair, or anything actually either there are no filters, they are falling out at nite, or the case is cracked on the intake side of the fan.
Everything from that point on is positive pressure and bad seals etc will just be leaking air, not sucking in anything.
Other words problem is in the blower unit not the humidifier unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 10:08 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: If its pulling stuff as big as hair, or anything actually either there are no filters, they are falling out at nite, or the case is cracked on the intake side of the fan.
Everything from that point on is positive pressure and bad seals etc will just be leaking air, not sucking in anything.
Other words problem is in the blower unit not the humidifier unit.

That's what I was thinking.

I looked at the service manual and about the only thing it can be is the adapter that connects the blower to the filter, or possibly the outer edge of the blower housing, since everything else is pressurized. It's not clear if that's a separate part, but I'll find out soon enough. 8-)

I'll have to make some time and take it apart tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 94 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,810 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,374 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.