Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Disappointed in my sleep Doc
RE: Disappointed in my sleep Doc
This is just a bit of a rant! Below are the latest offerings, I seem to be all over the map. I went to the Doc and was told my numbers are good and the therapy was working. Yeah working like when the surgery is a success and the patient dies! I'm slowly backsliding to the way I felt before I started using the CPAP. When I said this I just got a blank stare. The headaches are back, I feel achy, though not as bad, and am back to taking naps every day for a couple of hours in the afternoon. No energy and tired all the time. This just sucks! We shouldn't have to fight this hard to get our MD's to LISTEN to us. This is going to ruin my holidays that I was so looking forward to that I was finally going to have the energy to participate in and enjoy this year. been a while since that's been the case.

As my Gramma used to say "I'm so mad I could just say a wirty dord"! I miss her a lot.  Haven't lost my sense of humor yet LOL.

[attachment=9305][attachment=9306][attachment=9307]
Post Reply Post Reply
I know it's been mentioned before but have you tried a soft cervical collar to see you can control some of the positional issues? I'd highly recommend giving it a try. It'll only cost you $15 dollars at the local drug store and could be an easy fix.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2018, 08:32 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'd agree with bonjour. Even with an AHI under 5, if the therapy is not giving you rest, is causing other issues, then convey them to the Doc. That is how I moved from CPAP to BPAP, in part because I stated I could not get used to single pressure, and I could not breathe out easily enough to meet compliance. Doc finally relented and had me try the BPAP.

Oh dear, I've already stated how I don't have a problem with the machine. I'm very comfortable with it actually. I've been questioned on that because the pressure is relatively high 14. I did have a bit of a problem with using the EPR, but now that has gone away, so saying I can't use the thing is out of the question I believe. It's just back to being ineffective and because of my numbers I keep getting told it's working.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2018, 07:19 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I know it's been mentioned before but have you tried a soft cervical collar to see you can control some of the positional issues? I'd highly recommend giving it a try. It'll only cost you $15 dollars at the local drug store and could be an easy fix.

Actually I had forgotten about the cervical collar. Bonjour mentioned it. Could that solve the issues I'm having or just lesson them? Bonjour mentioned that he hated to make my numbers better because he and Sleeprider both thought I would do better with a bilevel. I'm kinda torn about the situation. Work and make this thing just bearable or shoot for something that will solve the problem. I'm not sure and I'm not getting a lot of guidance from my Doc.

I'm not sure my energy level is up to the fight this time. Last time I spent 3 yrs getting scoped at both ends, and every test on the digestive system you can think of. All the while suffering from Gall Bladder attacks almost on a daily basis. Everything seemed to trigger them. Docs kept telling me, kindly mind you, that it was basically in my head. One night after an attack that had been lasting pretty much for about 10 hrs I finally went to the ER and had my Gallbladder out. Quit taking all the meds that weren't doing anything but messing me up anyways. Thanks a lot to the Docs that said I had IBS, ulcers, and everything else. I feel the same thing happening all over again.

Sorry, just a bad day and I feel like crap.
Post Reply Post Reply
The issues now are the same as we discussed on page one. You have clusters of obstructive apnea that may benefit from a soft cervical collar,or bilevel pressure, or both. Fixed pressure at 14, with or without EPR does not clear the problem. Your choices are limited to increasing pressure, getting a collar to correct the positional apnea, or accepting your current therapy as-is.

I think bilevel pressure would help a lot, and the Autoset is just too limited in providing that. I also think you should try a soft cervical collar. Your positional apnea signature is classic.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2018, 11:05 AM)bonjour Wrote: Ip agree 100% with Sleeprider's suggested settings and the soft cervical collar but I would rather wait to implement them and see what your Dr does.  I do not want to drive your numbers to under 5 AHI which will "say" that you are treated satisfactorily with this machine. Which BTW is the best for common obstructive apnea.

My goal is to help you get the right machine and then do exactly what SR suggests

Fred

(12-05-2018, 08:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The issues now are the same as we discussed on page one.  You have clusters of obstructive apnea that may benefit from a soft cervical collar,or bilevel pressure, or both.  Fixed pressure at 14, with or without EPR does not clear the problem.  Your choices are limited to increasing pressure, getting a collar to correct the positional apnea, or accepting your current therapy as-is.

I think bilevel pressure would help a lot, and the Autoset is just too limited in providing that.  I also think you should try a soft cervical collar.  Your positional apnea signature is classic.

Ok, getting mixed messages here. Do I get the collar and improve my numbers and probably blow the chance of getting the bilevel that there is a good chance I need?

One of the comments made at my last Dr visit is that I'm a shallow breather, which to me makes sense the I probably am a good candidate for UARS. Am I completely wrong in doing everything I can to get my doc to prescribe me a bilevel? Or should I just deal with what I have?
Post Reply Post Reply
Try the collar and see how you feel after a night or two. If you don't see and feel the improvement stop using it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2018, 09:18 PM)Sleepstarved Wrote:
(11-21-2018, 11:05 AM)bonjour Wrote: Ip agree 100% with Sleeprider's suggested settings and the soft cervical collar but I would rather wait to implement them and see what your Dr does.  I do not want to drive your numbers to under 5 AHI which will "say" that you are treated satisfactorily with this machine. Which BTW is the best for common obstructive apnea.

My goal is to help you get the right machine and then do exactly what SR suggests

Fred

(12-05-2018, 08:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The issues now are the same as we discussed on page one.  You have clusters of obstructive apnea that may benefit from a soft cervical collar,or bilevel pressure, or both.  Fixed pressure at 14, with or without EPR does not clear the problem.  Your choices are limited to increasing pressure, getting a collar to correct the positional apnea, or accepting your current therapy as-is.

I think bilevel pressure would help a lot, and the Autoset is just too limited in providing that.  I also think you should try a soft cervical collar.  Your positional apnea signature is classic.

Ok, getting mixed messages here. Do I get the collar and improve my numbers and probably blow the chance of getting the bilevel that there is a good chance I need?

One of the comments made at my last Dr visit is that I'm a shallow breather, which to me makes sense the I probably am a good candidate for UARS. Am I completely wrong in doing everything I can to get my doc to prescribe me a bilevel? Or should I just deal with what I have?

I forgot we may be trying for the bilevel machine, and my knee jerk reaction is to try to solve the problem.  We are sometimes so good at reducing events, that you may drop below the threshold where you may qualify for a more advanced therapy.  Bilevel has the promise of improving your tidal volume.  I think bilevel is part of the solution for you, but I think it is worth while to see what positional therapy can accomplish.  Whether you keep using it or not once you know, is a discussion we can have once we see the results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,012 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 684 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  disappointed in airsense 11 after 12 years with S9 Rejackson 4 2,209 04-06-2022, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.