Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Guidance please
Guidance please
K

I am ready to think about my next step. I could be feeling better. My current pressure is set at 13-20. Here are my options, I think.

1. Do nothing. I am averaging an ahi of 5. Give it more time.
2. Keep slowly raising my lower pressure.
3. Try straight cpap. If so, what pressure do I try?
4. Send my data to my doctor and see what she says.

To the best of my knowledge I am not sleeping on my back. (Wearing backpack). What I do not understand is if I have centrals misposted as oa's. RobySue saw
some evidence of this in an earlier post.

Thanks for your help.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Guidance please
(07-31-2014, 11:31 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: I am ready to think about my next step. I could be feeling better. My current pressure is set at 13-20. Here are my options, I think.

I'd go see your doc.

I have no idea if your machine is mis-intpreting anything as anything else, but it's running at it's maximum pressure quite a bit of the time, so there isn't much more it can do to fix whatever you have going on.

If you want how you feel to change, you'll have to find out what's actually going on and fix it (might need a different machine or something else).

Terry
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's look at that daily data:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=976]
On this night, you're maxing out your pressures and there's significant flow limitations going on. Unlike the earlier data, the clusters of OAs are not as long and persistent. So these OAs appear to my patient's eyes to be much less likely to be mis-scored CAs than what I was seeing in the earlier data. Indeed most of the OAs and Hs are "isolated" from each other by at least 2 minutes. And that means most of the pressure increases are due to the flow limitations: There's a lot of activity in that flow limitation graph.

Your data also indicates the machine is spending a significant amount of time maxed out at 20cm, and that the flow limitations being scored at 20cm are still significant. And that raises the question of whether you might meet the criteria for being switched to a bilevel machine that can deliver up to 25cm of pressure.

You asked what to do:
(07-31-2014, 11:31 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: I am ready to think about my next step. I could be feeling better. My current pressure is set at 13-20. Here are my options, I think.

1. Do nothing. I am averaging an ahi of 5. Give it more time.
2. Keep slowly raising my lower pressure.
3. Try straight cpap. If so, what pressure do I try?
4. Send my data to my doctor and see what she says.
My advice is a combination of these:

If this were my data, I would send the data to the doc and ask her for her opinion. She may just say "do nothing" or she may make a suggestion of either raising the min pressure setting or if she notices how much time you are spending at 20cm, she may recommend a switch to bilevel. If she recommends a pressure change or a switch to bilevel, I'd follow her instructions.

If the doc says "Do nothing and give it more time", I would give some serious thought about continuing to slowly raise the minimum pressure setting. I'd raise it 0.5 to 1.0 cm at a time and I'd leave it at the new setting for 5-7 days before doing another pressure increase. You may very well find your sweet spot with some patience and careful monitoring of your data. But I'd stop the pressure increases if any of the following happens:
  • A significant increase in aerophagia that leads to discomfort and/or pain
  • A significant increase in bothersome leaks or in leaks that are above the 24 L/min threshold for Large Leak on the Resmed S9 AutoSet.
  • A significant increase in mouth breathing issues. Obviously mouth breathing can lead to increased leaks when you are using a nasal interface. But mouth breathing can lalso ead to an increase in problems with dry mouth regardless of whether you're using a FFM or a nasal mask. And mouth breathing with dry mouth symptoms can be an issues even when the leaks remain below the 24 L/min RedLine when you are using a nasal interface.
  • An increase in the CAI that persists for several days.
  • An increase in the OAI or HI that persists for several days, particularly if the clusters start to lengthen to where they are lasting 30+ minutes at a time
  • A noticeable decrease in sleep quality that persists for several days at the new setting.

I'd stop increasing the pressure if any of these things started to become a problem because they are all more likely to be issues when the pressure is higher than you can comfortably tolerate. And trying to obtain a super low AHI by making it impossible to sleep comfortably with the machine is counterproductive.

I don't think I'd be inclined to try straight CPAP at this point: It looks as though your 95% pressure level is pretty close to 20cm, and that would normally indicate that the "starting guess" for straight CPAP would be 20cm. And changing from APAP with a range of 10-20 to straight CPAP = 20 seems like too big of a change to make.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, RobySue.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed adamant their machines can tell central apnea when it see one but we don,t know if you were asleep at the time or those events are pressure induced centrals

I don't think would make much difference whether to increase minimum pressure above 10 or not, median pressure over 17. As shown in the graph pressure start at 10 and keep climbing and does not fall below 15 for the entire night. The best part of the night when aliens were not looking, between 1.40 and 3.00, pressure around 15 and no flow limitation at all. You say you,re not sleeping on your back and wear backpack, you need to make sure the backpack filled with something hard so its so uncomfortable to roll on your back

Definitely see the doctor and discuss the results and options.

You asked "Try straight cpap. If so, what pressure do I try?"
I would give 15 a trial and see what tiding brings or maybe take an afternoon nap as trail and see if it feel comfortable at straight 15
Nothing set in stones and no two nights are alike, matter of trial and errors and keeping watchful eye

EPR level need some experimenting to find the sweet spot

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Zonk.

2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 274 33 minutes ago
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Looking for some pressure guidance lavenderlate 1 133 03-11-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 167 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,377 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 6 495 01-17-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  [Treatment] UARS With BiPAP - Looking for Some Guidance Sleepy541 2 412 01-07-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepy541
  Programme change guidance to eliminate apneas FijiFarmer 1 244 01-01-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.