Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Disappointed
RE: Disappointed
the pressure is so low that I don't really need the ramp. I set it to 5 min and really I don't even need that. It's amazing how far i have come after starting this whole thing on July 7. Back then, I needed the ramp set to 45 min, and a Xanax to boot. Just a few nights of the Xanax, however, and I've not needed the med since.

repeating my question from above; not sure it was seen:

Last night I slept better/longer, but my AHI was 11. How long do I give this current pressure before I ask the doc for something higher? It seems like --- if the pressure is not correct, one night will tell me that, or just a couple of nights, anyway. No point waiting around for a week or more?
Post Reply Post Reply
If it were me, I'd either set the machine to Auto and see where it wanted to go (but my situation isn't as complicated as yours - I use an APAP machine, so there are only a couple of adjustments to make - VPAPs are much more complicated) or make an appointment with the doctor after just a few nights with those AHI's.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will your doctor allow you to run the machine in Auto mode?
The VPAP Auto can run as a fixed S mode Bilevel, or a CPAP, or a Bilevel Auto.
When set to auto, with a wide enough pressure window, it can seek the best pressure to lower your AHI.

I have the same machine. I run in Auto. Last night's AHI was 1.5

A mask is a very personal choice... we all have different faces. I do best with a full face.
My leaks are well controlled even when my machine raises pressure to 20.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Clem, I think I'd go one more night to give the doc a little more data and give your body a little more time to adjust to the current pressure. I would not expect the ahi to come down much if any, but it's a good idea for your body to get used to something before you give it something else to think about.

Then tomorrow, early because it's Friday and the doc probably won't be available much beyond breakfast, call em up and ask to go up another point. You're at 11? (I forgot already) Go to 12.

As a matter of fact call today because tomorrow will probably be a great golf day and you will not be able to reach anyone until Monday. So forget everything I already said, and ask the doc to up the pressure another notch.

Post Reply Post Reply
There is a reason the machine has an auto mode. I would think it is the most appropriate way to determine the proper pressure, especially if things change during the night. Many people change position, right side, back, left side. Many people have different pressure Ned's in different sleep stages, especially REM. In many situations the machine may be a better judge and much more responsive than the doctor. Although the machine seldom thinks it is GOD.

I use an ASV machine a step up from yours. I run it in auto mode, per my sleep study recommendation. After 9 months I am just starting to decipher what the settings mean and why I might want to change them.
I used an S9 Autoset for 3 years and was very comfortable changing my own settings on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2014, 11:08 AM)retired_guy Wrote: ...Then tomorrow, early because it's Friday and the doc probably won't be available much beyond breakfast, call em up and ask to go up another point. You're at 11? (I forgot already)...
Today is Wednesday!

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2014, 11:28 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(07-30-2014, 11:08 AM)retired_guy Wrote: ...Then tomorrow, early because it's Friday and the doc probably won't be available much beyond breakfast, call em up and ask to go up another point. You're at 11? (I forgot already)...
Today is Wednesday!

You're right! What happened to Tuesday?
Post Reply Post Reply
LOL. Well, I will give it one more night. I do move around a lot. I just want to get this pressure thing figured out and get the AHIs down where they are supposed to be. And I will ask the doc about the auto mode.
Also going to the DME to try a nasal mask.

ETA: Here's a thought, and maybe it's not a real smart thought---
I don't use the humidifer right now since it is summer and it is somewhat humid --
that wouldn't affect the AHIs, right?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2014, 12:24 PM)Clementine Wrote: ETA: Here's a thought, and maybe it's not a real smart thought---
I don't use the humidifer right now since it is summer and it is somewhat humid --
that wouldn't affect the AHIs, right?

Shouldn't matter. Humidifier is mostly for comfort. But, just because it's summer in Iowa doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. If you're running AC, then it's pulling humidity out of the air. The slight compression of the air by the VPAP blower heats the air slightly; and that reduces the relative humidity. (Water in air constant -- but, temp increase means it can hold more water.) I wondered in your earlier posts why you were using 3 as your setting. That's where they usually set it at the DME; but, most people run 4 to 6. I run at 5.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
3 is what was set at the DME. I haven't messed with it. I'm a "hot mama" and don't need any additional warm anything right now. Warm air just isn't good. Maybe this winter it will be better.

I guess my thought was that humidified air would reduce the number of OAs? maybe slightly...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  disappointed in airsense 11 after 12 years with S9 Rejackson 4 2,209 04-06-2022, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Disappointed in my sleep Doc Sleepstarved 27 3,748 12-05-2018, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Totally Disappointed bricki 23 3,974 06-03-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: bricki
Sad New and Disappointed JoLyn 71 7,819 02-09-2018, 07:30 AM
Last Post: JoLyn
  Disappointed with rising AHI SpeedyD 8 2,769 02-05-2016, 05:48 AM
Last Post: SpeedyD
  Disappointed with Doc, am I asking too much?? murf2499 19 7,250 02-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Sleep87
  Disappointed with my new F&P Icon Premo non-auto Hanrahan 9 3,303 09-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vsheline

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.