Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Disconnecting Hose for pee Break
Idea 
Disconnecting Hose for pee Break
This is a serious question. During the night if a bathroom break is need should one turn off the machine and then disconnect the hose or just disconnect the hose?  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Disconnecting Hose for pee Break
Welcome to Apnea Board msw4477!

It's easy enough to just turn the machine off and disconnect the hose.

You'll find that after awhile on therapy, those bathroom breaks will lessen.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
there is an auto on and off available in the menu that uses your breathing into the mask to turn the machine on and off. Some people use and some not, personally I like it. When I go to sleep or bathroom trip, I put the mask on, adust while laying down and breathe and the machine turns on. I generally turn the machine off with the button, but the machine will also turn it off, lot of rushing air for several seconds, would wake a bedmate however. If you haven't downloaded the clinical manual, you might want to use the links above to get the manual emailed to you. Good luck with your therapy!! I assume that you are using the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you turn off the machine the machine will be in ramp mode after the pee break right?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2017, 07:43 AM)msw4477 Wrote: If you turn off the machine the machine will be in ramp mode after the pee break right?

The easy solution is to turn off ramp. Most of us don't need it or use it once we adapt to the machine.  While there is no harm leaving the machine blowing while you are away (assume you don't use Smartstart), it is loud and I would not do it.  I use SmartStart on the Aircurve 10 Vauto and when I remove the mask, the machine stops in 10 seconds and immediately resumes when I put the mask back on.  No button push required.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Turn off machine, pull off the mask, take care of bidness, put mask back on, turn on machine.

Variations:

Auto off - remove mask and let machine turn itself off. I don't use this mode.

Auto on - put on mask, take a few breaths, machine turns itself on. I do use this mode.

Disconnect hose - if you have trouble reseating your mask, you might find it easier to disconnect the hose and leave the mask on. I don't do this.

Regarding the ramp - I don't use it, but my machine has two buttons. One turns it on and goes to full pressure, the other enables the ramp. I have auto ramp disabled, and use the autostart. If I ever want the ramp, I'd have to push the ramp button or enable auto-ramp...I think.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also take the mask off, it gives me access to a good scratch and a rub. the odds are I'll get an itch if I don't
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Usually I have a sip of water because I always have some dry mouth issues. Fortunately, when I disconnect the hose from my F20 the opening is large enough to permit a drink using a straw so I don't need to remove the mask and be concerned about getting a good seal again. And no, the drink doesn't result in me having to get up again. Actually, since using CPAP consistently and getting my AHI below 2 my nocturnal bathroom trips have dropped from around three per night to only one.  Shy I'm not sure why. Thinking-about
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Reminds me of the old​ joke:

"Doctor, I'm as regular as clockwork. I have to go every morning at 7 o'clock."

"So, what's the problem​?"

"I don't​ wake up until 8."
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2017, 04:11 PM)Melman Wrote: Actually, since using CPAP consistently and getting my AHI below 2 my nocturnal bathroom trips have dropped from around three per night to only one.  Shy  I'm not sure why. Thinking-about

Perhaps the information here might lend some insight into the answer...............

Nighttime Urination and Sleep Apnea

Tracy R. Nasca

https://sleepapnea.org/learn/sleep-apnea...eep-apnea/

".......How does apnea cause nocturia? Umlauf explains that during episodes of sleep apnea, the soft structures in the throat relax and close off the airway, setting into motion a chain of physiological events. “Oxygen decreases, carbon dioxide increases, the blood become more acidic, the heart rate drops and blood vessels in the lung constrict,” says Umlauf. “The body is alerted that something is very wrong. The sleeper must wake enough to reopen the airway. By this time, the heart is racing and experiences a false signal of fluid overload. The heart excretes a hormone-like protein that tells the body to get rid of sodium and water, resulting in nocturia.”
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,631 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,259 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
Question Hose volume Willw 4 283 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 259 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 629 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,371 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 569 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.