Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Disconnecting for Bathroom Runs
Disconnecting for Bathroom Runs
When I got my machine about 4 years ago, I was told that it's OK to disconnect the hose to go to the bathroom without turning the machine off (or so I interpreted what I heard).

Now some things I've read on this board, and my introduction to SleepyHead and the "LL" events I see on the screen make me wonder whether "letting 'er blow" is a good idea.

One issue I see is that I can tell that the LL events associated with pee breaks are indistinguishable from other LL events that might be due to my mouth being open on occasion. And perhaps a doc looking at my data would prefer not to have the data stream poisoned by the former LL events.

Anyone have thoughts on this? As far as I can tell, the machine is not hurt by this, and (obviously) is designed to handle such events.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Disconnecting for Bathroom Runs
All you need to do is disconnect your mask from hose, then press the off button on CPAP. After your break, put mask back on, then press the button to start therapy.

Sleepyhead will combine the sessions. Leaving the machine run adds to blower hours, not to mention it could mess up your data by reporting large leaks.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I always stop the machine, then disconnect the hose.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
My RemStar had an Auto On/Off setting, where it recognizes when my mask was removed. All I had to do to start it up again was to put on the mask and breath in to it. Today I exchanged RemStar for ResMed I read in directions that it has the same feature, but will need to try it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2015, 05:31 PM)lindabean55 Wrote: My RemStar had an Auto On/Off setting, where it recognizes when my mask was removed. All I had to do to start it up again was to put on the mask and breath in to it. Today I exchanged RemStar for ResMed I read in directions that it has the same feature, but will need to try it out.

It does have that feature, or at least my ResMed does. But I prefer to control things more directly.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I always turn off the machine then separate the Sleepweaver Feather Light Hose from the PR heated hose.
When I return I just plug the hoses back together, lay down and allow the auto start to do its job.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2015, 05:18 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: I always stop the machine, then disconnect the hose.

Yes, that's what I meant to say. Just said it reversed. Rolleyes
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a P10, so I just turn the machine off and then take off the nasal pillows. They go off and on so easily and quickly I just leave it on the nightstand.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, looks like no one but me disconnects without turning it off. So I'm changing my ways!

One good benefit of this discussion: I had no idea the ResMed S9 would autostart. The "SmartStart" feature was not on, but I now have turned it on and tried it out. It works, and I learned something I didn't know before.

This board is exceptionally helpful in filling in details no one ever explained to me. By no one, I mean Apria in particular.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just be careful when disconnecting. I whapped myself in the nose when the end suddenly came out of the hose and couldn't use my cpap the rest of the night. I now take the mask off. I'm a danger to myself at night, I guess.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,737 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 humidifer reservoir runs dry after 4 hours jwtm 18 1,173 12-24-2023, 06:44 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] CPAP starts and runs like it's doing a leak check after getting a new mask ironballsmcginty 1 393 09-28-2023, 05:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  fl runs+ breathings problems Gorge 0 519 05-25-2022, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Gorge
  [Equipment] How should I pause CPAP (ResMed AS11) for a bathroom break? ThinMountainAir 7 12,452 05-14-2022, 04:14 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
Question ResMed auto set 10 runs at constant pressure 17 Parkguy 8 1,055 08-30-2021, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Nocturia (Frequent Bathroom Awakenings) + Shorter Sleep Nights Sleeper396 8 1,041 07-01-2021, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.