Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Disposable filter dirty in 4 days
Disposable filter dirty in 4 days
I have been using Dreamstation for a year and and a half.  Lately, I have had to change my disposable filter every 4 days because my machine gets so noisy I can’t stand it.  I have cleaned my room top to bottom and had air vents cleaned and the condition continues. I have read that the filter should last at least a week and some people leave it in for a couple weeks. Any ideas why this is happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Disposable filter dirty in 4 days
It sounds like your CPAP fan unit is experiencing a failure. You should immediately bring this to the attention of your supplier. It may be under warranty. With a little luck, you can even exchange it for a Resmed Smile Changing filters every 4 days will eventually fail in resolving the problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably not the thing to admit here, but... I have been washing both the micro-filters and the main filters in mild detergent for the last 4 years - it can extend the usable life of them quite a bit.
But if you live in a location where air quality is poor, then definitely changing out the micro-filter rather than washing it would be the better option.

I agree with Sleeprider, not only will changing the filter every four days not resolve the longer term problem.. it will also become tiresome and expensive.

Is the filter dirty when you take it out of the machine?

Have you tried removing and re-fitting the same filter?

It may be that moving the machine around to fit the filter is what stops the machine making noise for a few days, it may be wear in the fan bearings or shaft, and tilting the machine moves the fan shaft in the motor slightly.. and then after a few days it moves back to where it is noisy again. Dont-know
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
My AirSense 10 AutoSet is going on 22 months old. I've changed it's filter only twice. It just doesn't get dirty. I have plenty of extra filters on hand, but I just wash them in hot water and some liquid soap. A quick 30 sec. finger massage does the trick. I use a paper towel to pat it dry and let it sit out to completely air dry for an hour or so. 

I do keep the area my machine sits on clean. I don't allow dust or whatever to accumulate. My machine sits atop a bedside file cabinet that an alarm clock and a small lamp that shares the space. My machine also gets a wipe down every other day or so. 

I keep seeing posts about dirty filters and such. For the life of me, I'm just not seeing it.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
I change mine out about once a month.  Even then, I hold it up to a light along side a new one and can't see the difference.  But I change it anyway, just because I think I should. Rolleyes
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I change mine twice a year.  I'll somehow remember to take a peek near the three month mark and it looks almost pristine, so I forget about it.  Then, near the six month mark, I'll take another look and mine is quite noticeably dirtier, at which I change it.  Maybe I'll try hand-washing it after spraying it with a bleach-mixed shower stall cleaner, cleaning via massage and flushing liberally under warm water, and then see what happens when I reinstall it.  I know, they're only a couple of bucks a piece...

Four days?!?!?  Something is dreadfully amiss.  Your bedroom air is terrible, pollen and/or dust is huge nearby, or something else I'm too afraid to type out in the open.  Bug-eyed
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 118 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 422 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 340 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 1,876 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [CPAP] Bad O2 days with APAP? ikwtif 23 1,729 11-21-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BeautifulDay
  [Treatment] Three days using Soft Cervical Collar, AHI 6.73, 4.81, 22.28; makes sense? Aldiorg 9 904 11-15-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.