Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Distilled Water
RE: Distilled Water
HairyReasoner, do you have hard or soft water in your house?  I'm wondering if the Zero Water filter would work for me, but we have extremely hard water here.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
There is absolutely no reason NOT TO USE local water intended for consumption, for brushing one's teeth, or for ablutions.  If it's safe to shower in, it's safe for your machine.

If the local water is hard, rinse and refill your machine's reservoir daily.

Distilling water at home is rather costly, unless you have a reverse osmosis system hooked directly into your water supply, say under your kitchen sink, that provides clean drinking water.  Use that, or bottled water of the kind for drinking.  Using heat to distill water that isn't solar powered will cost most of us a bundle each month, maybe as much as $30.  If that isn't a problem, just purchase large cases of bottled water.

Do you have a dehumidifier that you need to empty about once a week or more often?  Sterilize and clean the receptacle for the condensate and then use what collects there.  It's very clean and pure, just not entirely hygienic from the point of view of being sterile.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2022, 12:30 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: HairyReasoner, do you have hard or soft water in your house?  I'm wondering if the Zero Water filter would work for me, but we have extremely hard water here.

I routinely treat well water at our cottage with very hard water over 270 ppm and the Zero Water filter reduces that to between 2.0 and 8.0 ppm.  I have even opened the cottage and had orange rust-stained water and treated it to crystal clear and acceptable for the humidifier.  Many Zero Water pitchers include a hardness PPM meter.  It will work great for you. Zero is unlike any other filter you can buy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2022, 12:30 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: HairyReasoner, do you have hard or soft water in your house?  I'm wondering if the Zero Water filter would work for me, but we have extremely hard water here.

It's from a city municipal water supply.  According to Zero Water's website, the water in this municipality has a somewhat high total dissolved solids rating.  I think they estimate I'd get about 15 - 25 gallons before I'd have to change the filter.  However, I drink the water straight from the tap, and it doesn't have any bad taste to it.  With extremely hard water the filter will certainly need to be replaced more often (website indicates some really hard water may get 8 gallons or less per filter), but it still may be more convenient,  but maybe not as cost effective, than distilled water.  If you go to their web site they have a section that gives you an idea how long a filter will last given your water conditions.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have very hard water in our area. We don't drink it or cook with it. We have two water purification pitchers that we use. One is a Zero Water. 

It's not uncommon for us to have to soak the shower heads and such in vinegar from time to time. 

We've thought about a whole house water treatment system, but the industry is about as questionable as anything else these days.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 87 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 354 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.