Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Distilled Water
Distilled Water
I haven't been able to get distilled water where I live.  Tried 3-4 stores over the last 2-3 weeks.  
I know it's possible to use tap water and I have, but I'd rather use distilled.

Anyone use one of the cheap home distillers?  There is one on Amazon for like $79, Mophorn.  

Any other suggestions for getting distilled water?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Distilled Water
Unless you have dirty water, you don't need to use distilled water.  Remember, the user instructions were written for a world market.  The only thing that you may have to contend with in the U.S. is a high mineral content.   This would just require a more frequent cleaning of the humidifier tub.  Again, the instructions call for a daily cleaning. . . Yeah, right!  The humidity in the air does not transport any contaminants, so the cleaning is to remove any mineral deposits. . .when it is needed.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The closest thing to distilled, is the Zero Water pitcher. I have used it to take orange well-water with a solids level nearly 300 ppm and purify to 1-2 ppm. An amazing change. You can use it for drinking water, your coffee maker, any place you want to reduce TSS, chemicals and impurities. I normally use tap water, but at the cottage, i use a Zero Water, and it never leaves a deposit. You need the filter too, and I buy them 4 at a time.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Depending on how dry your home is, you might also get away with a regular room humidifier to keep the room air (and thusly, the cpap) in a comfortable range. You would want to turn off the tank heater then, of course, and no or low hose heat.

I use Walmart distilled water and have noticed long periods of no-stock this winter, but always managed to find some just in time so that I dont run out. I'm interested in that Zero pitcher that Sleeprider mentioned .. I wonder what the cost/unit is like compared to the 99c/gallon wallywater ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I just used tap water. Even with some high calcium content, some white vinegar in the water reservoir took care of any residual deposits quick like. 

Spending money on distilled water is just a waste, IMHO.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
I use tap water and when I start seeing a scale on the bottom of the humidifier I may or may not add some vinegar to clean it out. I'll add the vinegar and clean when the one who must be obeyed says something. My wife used to use distilled water until I "converted" her over to whatever is available.

Just need to watch the build ups, and use a soak with a little vinegar from time to time.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use tap water. Always have. I think distilled is unnecessary unless the tap water in your area isn't potable. Also, my belief is that the chlorine added to the reticulated supply here in Oz helps to keep bacteria at bay in the tank.

If I am traveling and the tap water is or might be unsafe to drink, I buy bottled water.

Like others, I remove mineral deposits (which are harmless but look unsightly) by soaking in vinegar once a month or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am based in Spain where distilled water is easily available so I always use it. It keeps my humidifier in pristine condition. I did holiday in the USA some years ago and had no trouble finding distilled water there. I always found it in CVS. In Spain, distilled water is nearly always in with the washing powder/fabric conditioners because it's primary use is for ironing.

If you can't get distilled water a) If you have a condensing tumble dryer use the water from there if you can tolerate any residual scent from fabric conditioners used in the wash or b) boil water in a kettle and let it cool.
Post Reply Post Reply
In certain regions of the world, Resmed actually drops the need for "distilled water" from the user's manual. It is absolutely fine to use tap water unless you have questionable water quality in your region.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled water simply as a matter of convenience, when traveling I use tap water, even VERY hard tap water, that frequently requires a dump every morning (if packing) night when I add water. A soak in diluted vinegar easily clears any mineral deposits out.

If the tap water is safe to drink, it's safe to use in your CPAP
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,072 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 144 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 173 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,907 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,484 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 204 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 236 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.