Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Distilled Water
RE: Distilled Water
I ran into problems about 6-7 months ago and bit the bullet and purchased a very nice distiller on Amazon. It is called WaterLovers. Nice and solid. Easy to use. I also have a hydroponic garden that uses distilled water and I prefer using distilled with my morning tea. I make about 2-3 gallons a week. Now, I don’t need to run around town to find distilled water.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you could also boil a gallon of water, let it cool and accomplish the same thing. Plus you wouldn’t have a problem with the boiling pot ever not working. I don’t know how reliable those distilled water machines are.

Edit: I guess not. I just found this.

The difference between distilled water and boiled water is the level of purity. Distilled water is pure water, whereas boiled water may have other minerals dissolved within it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I myself had done the water tub filling the easiest way for me. Open the tap and fill the tub.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Distilled Water - Make your own
I saw this article on CNET recently. I have NOT attempted this, just posting for reference.

How to make distilled water at home
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Distilled Water - Make your own
(03-30-2022, 03:15 PM)chasmm Wrote: I saw this article on CNET recently. I have NOT attempted this, just posting for reference.

How to make distilled water at home

Yeah.. I saw that also.  Seems kind of tedious to do, but maybe worthwhile one time.

I ended up ordering a distiller from Walmart for $69. We'll see.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the price of gas currently being what it is, not using distilled water is even more beneficial to my wallet. 

Gotta keep riding no matter what........... Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Possibly unrelated, but still..

We use an ultrasonic humidifier and during the local (?) distilled water shortage a few months ago, we used the well water for a couple of days. Our well rates about a 20 for hardness and there's a bit of iron, so we use a 10u carbon filter and then a softener set to "30" which seems to make nice drinking water.
When I used it in the humidifier however, it made a visible white haze throughout the house. Two of the four people in the house suddenly got headaches. I turned it off for the day, headaches went away. Next day, same thing (haze, headaches). Found some distilled and stopped the well water, everyone was fine. I read on the net that some people get headaches or other symptoms from minerals being put into the air like that.

So, I suppose if someone was getting headaches from using tap/well water in a cpap, it would be prudent to switch to distilled to at least that as a problem ?

I said at the top that this might be unrelated, maybe because the house humidifier is using ultrasonic vs the cpap is using heat evaporation. Maybe a difference when it comes to suspended and/or dissolved solids ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2022, 12:22 PM)DaveCar Wrote: I said at the top that this might be unrelated,  maybe because the house humidifier is using ultrasonic vs the cpap is using heat evaporation. Maybe a difference when it comes to suspended and/or dissolved solids ?

This correct. The humidifier is generating a fine aerosol of mineral containing water. As aerosol evaporates the minerals remain suspended in the air. In the case of evaporation from the CPAP reservoir the minerals remain in the humidifier.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using a Zero Water filter for about the past 6 months. I haven't had to clean my tank even once. Even with distilled water I used to have to fight some buildup and could get mold if I didn't clean often enough. But I'm still on my original tank which still looks brand new.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mineral accumulation isn't the only reason you should clean the water tank.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,086 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 152 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 195 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,924 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,510 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 207 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 239 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.