Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Distilled Water Replacement Daily?
Distilled Water Replacement Daily?
Using ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her APAP - DME advised that I should fill water to max every night and in the AM no matter how much water is left, in my case right now this time of year that is about half, that I should empty it out, let the humidifier chamber dry every day and replace all the water every day. This seems like a smart and though perhaps overly cautious need assuming I maintain the equipment and clean it thoroughly at least once per week. Our water here is on a well and hard, definitely need distilled but okay to keep the water in there so that I'm going to the store less often to get distilled? It's not expensive, but just thinking about years and years ahead of replacing all the water daily vs. using it up and topping it up to max each day = lugging more water around and trips to the store for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Distilled Water Replacement Daily?
I've been on my CPAP machine now for almost 6 months. Initially, I used distilled water. I stopped using it about two months ago.

I now just use tap water. Every morning, the unused water gets dumped out and the water reservoir is wiped dry with a tissue and allowed to air dry some more.  

No signs of any mineral build-up at all. My reservoir looks as good as the 1st night of use. I'm getting a pretty good feel for how much water is used during the night. I don't fill the reservoir up to the full mark anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
Big Guy is correct, tap water is acceptable. The only advantage to distilled water is avoidance of mineral scale. Personally, I prefer distilled because I don't want to empty and wipe the humidifier every day. Our water is so hard that even when I do that I still get some scale that can be removed with vinegar. I don't dump and replace the distilled water every day. I just top it off and completely drain and rinse the tank every 10 days to two weeks. I'm sure there is some microbial growth but, as a microbiologist I know it's not harmful. Occasionally I see some residue and wash the chamber with mild dish washing detergent. In my opinion, completely changing distilled water every day is unnecessary.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
We distill our own water even though our tap water is supposedly safe (Winnipeg, MB, Canada).  We have a countertop distiller and use it solely for our CPAPs.  The initial cost of the distiller was just under $190.00 when we bought it approx 10 years ago because of the safety issue of the local water.  It may take time but the cost return has been met and it's paying us as it's around $0.60 per gallon (guestimate) to make.  It also saves on recycling bottles as the original bottles are still good and reusable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great! Thanks. PS: Is there a way to thank/like a post in here without clogging up the whole thread with thank yous for folks who respond? (Canadian, eh)
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2019, 12:32 PM)dreamstream Wrote: Using ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her APAP - DME advised that I should fill water to max every night and in the AM no matter how much water is left, in my case right now this time of year that is about half, that I should empty it out, let the humidifier chamber dry every day and replace all the water every day. This seems like a smart and though perhaps overly cautious need assuming I maintain the equipment and clean it thoroughly at least once per week. Our water here is on a well and hard, definitely need distilled but okay to keep the water in there so that I'm going to the store less often to get distilled? It's not expensive, but just thinking about years and years ahead of replacing all the water daily vs. using it up and topping it up to max each day = lugging more water around and trips to the store for it.

Not only do the DME's and RT's recommend replacing the water each day, but so does Resmed.   I know many people follow that instruction and many others don't.  I guess it's personal preference and how careful one chooses to be.

My RT said to fill the distilled water up to the "first line" of the tub, and then empty & fill daily.  I've actually measured how much distilled water I use nightly so as not to waste it (less than 1/2 cup with setting on #3) and merely put in that amount.  I'm new at this, and who knows maybe later I change my approach.  But as-is, it's no big deal...I wash my p10 pillows daily and empty, rinse and air-dry my humidifier tub.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a very low humidity setting because I live in the PNW of N. America where it is very humid much of the year.  So, when I fill my reservoir, I fill it for three days' worth, right up to the top.  I do not empty it in between.  I let it run close to dry, and then rinse and refill.

We have exceptional water with very little mineralization, so I don't expect to ever have to dissolve any mineral salts or solids.  But, I stopped using distilled water about two weeks into my trail.  It just didn't seem to make much sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
Been on CPAP for 5 years now, always have used distilled water, always just topped off the tank, never have seen the slightest bit of any leftovers. 89 cents a gallon at the local grocer. Nothing wrong with the tap water and the occasional cleaning routine that some do, but I'd rather be "maintenance free" as a personal choice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled water and after 3 years, it looks like new. 

I purchased a small measuring cup and measure 4 oz. every night and empty it every morning and let it dry all day. 

That is all I do.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Not to be dramatic, but there are some parts of the country (US) where that brain eating amoeba has been found in the drinking water supply.  If you use tap water and not distilled water in a nettie pot, you're supposed to boil it for five minutes to make sure it's safe to use wherever you live.  There have been documented cases of infection through this route - I think it was one way the amoeba was discovered in the tap water.

I imagine the same would apply for a CPAP humidification system?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with adjustments post open heart valve replacement SistineKid 2 90 04-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SistineKid
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,104 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  Aircurve 10 or 11 replacement Shamus54 8 247 04-11-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,937 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 33 10,482 03-29-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 160 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 212 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.