Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Distilled vs Tap water
Hi all. Just signed up and learning a lot from the threads. I started using my cpap 20 days ago and so far,so good. On my first visit, I met with a respiratory therapist and he also uses a cpap. I was told when first setting up to always use distilled water in the humidifier, be he said to just use tap water and distilled was unnecessary. Anyone else been told two different methods?
Hi Airborne482!

Welcome

The manufacturers say to use distilled but most of us around here use tap water. I think it may be a lawyer thing.
Apnea Helpful Tips
You will get all kinds of opinions. We have hard well well water. If I use that, the solids will settle out. It won't hurt anything but it will not look good. I only use distilled. At $1 per gallon, 128 oz per gal, that's 43 nights. Or <3cents a day. Not too expensive and my humidifier looks like new after 9 months.

I put 3 oz in each night and empty it each morning.
Dont-know  I am an accountant so any advice given here is not medical. If I give any financial advice, you can take it to the bank. However, you will have a hard time cashing it in. Okay

You will get different opinions on this. I've never used anything but distilled water. Water chamber looks like new after two years. I do wash it with dawn dish soap every couple weeks and rinse well.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

The main problem with tap water is if it is from a source with a lot of minerals, such as water on a long river or in a big lake that's fed by long rivers. This can cause minerals to build up in your humidifier.

Tap water will be pretty well sterile unless your water supplier is incompetent.

Distilling water removes the minerals but the result is not necessarily more sterile than tap water since city water is almost universally sterilized at the plant and will remain so at the tap.

If you live in Flint, Michigan definitely go with the distilled stuff!
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Your brain is not the boss.

Hi Airborne482,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I use distilled water. I have tried tap water from a purifier, but I found that my tank was getting coated with deposits after a while.
trish6hundred

Distilled water for me , also. My water chamber looks brand new after a years use.
Really depends on your tap water source. While I am a maniac about the air filters, I can get away with tap water as in NY City it is very low in any mineral content or particulates (verses the air that requires new disposable filters at a minimum every 2 weeks - 1 week in the winter). Wash the chamber every week, rinse daily.
If you use tap water, be sure to dump the residual from the previous night, rinse or wash the chamber and re-fill. This will help slow the build-up of any mineral deposits. (This works for 'normal' tap water, but if your tap water is highly mineralised and you get build up in just a few days, best to use distilled water)

I think everyone ought to use distilled water. Inhaling chlorine is unhealthy. We were taught that you need a filter in your shower as much, if not more than on your tap because it is more toxic to inhale chlorine than to ingest it since the chlorine gas we inhale enters directly into our blood stream. Research has demonstrated that the cancer risk that is associated with chlorinated water may actually be due to showering rather than drinking the disinfected water. Some water systems use chloramine. Which is chlorine plus ammonia. This is even more toxic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use? CPAPreturnee 8 400 07-17-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Gary1of2
  Nasal mask filling with some water and causing popping noise Ticman1 13 699 06-28-2017, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Ticman1
  Water question Waldorbigbill 15 575 06-25-2017, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Russatrice
  Resmed S10 water leak from humidifier darren79 37 14,170 06-25-2017, 10:18 PM
Last Post: CB91710
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 Autoset with ClimateLine heated hose - water in hose Electric Dreamer 4 323 06-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Angry resumed s 10 auto set, water chamber not heating duffer54 5 252 06-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Last Post: CB91710
  Water sirgaw 16 690 05-31-2017, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose