Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Distilled vs Tap water
RE: Distilled vs Tap water
(12-20-2016, 05:45 PM)mcsheltie Wrote: I think everyone ought to use distilled water. Inhaling chlorine is unhealthy.

Except that by the time it has reached your tap it will all have evaporated anyway. I think you should post evidence for your claims, but that's up to you.

If you believe that combining two toxic elements makes the result more toxic, you should give up salt, which is 50% chlorine and 50% sodium both of which, in their elemental forms, are deadly poisons. Therefore salt must be a deadly poison according to your logic, right?

You will get far more chlorine in your diet from the salt you eat than you will ever breath in from treated tap water.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

I buy distilled water for my iron and for my cpap. Why? Because the mineral buildup is a pain in the neck to deal with. Your choice, of course. Manufacturers recommend distilled solely because of the mineral buildup.
(12-20-2016, 08:36 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(12-20-2016, 05:45 PM)mcsheltie Wrote: I think everyone ought to use distilled water. Inhaling chlorine is unhealthy.

Except that by the time it has reached your tap it will all have evaporated anyway. I think you should post evidence for your claims, but that's up to you.

If you believe that combining two toxic elements makes the result more toxic, you should give up salt, which is 50% chlorine and 50% sodium both of which, in their elemental forms, are deadly poisons. Therefore salt must be a deadly poison according to your logic, right?

You will get far more chlorine in your diet from the salt you eat than you will ever breath in from treated tap water.

It isn't my logic. It is basic chemistry. And you can easily find the information yourself. Check Google Scholar.

Chloride and Chlorine while "related" are not one and the same. Chloride (Cl-) is an essential element for humans, animals and all plants. It is a component of common salt and found in seawater. Don't confuse it with other forms of the element such as chlorine. Chlorine (Cl 2) is a poisonous, toxic, corrosive gas that is used in the manufacture of bleaching agents and disinfectants. It is commonly used to disinfect water. When placed in water it is quickly transformed into other chemicals such as hypochlorous acid and hypochlorite ion, which kill bacteria. Chlorine is highly reactive, combining with water pollutants to form other toxic chemicals such as chloramine complicates its benefits of water purification.

Chlorine is not something you want to breath. That goes double for chloramine. Which is banned in TN and Vermont and it's use is being challenged in CA, SC, MO, OK and VA.

Did you mean tap, as in water tap or is that a typo and you meant pap as in CPAP? Chlorine and chloramine are not evaporated by the time they reach your water tap. Take a look at the reports that your municipal water system by law sends you every year. You'll find it is listed. Along with the toxic by products that these chemicals produce such as THMs and HAAs. It is also not evaporated by the time it goes thru the CPAP. If that was the case you would not get the benefit of any humidification. If you use tap water, these chemicals are very much alive and well in the air you breath, both in your shower and your CPAP.

It has been reported that since most most municipal water systems still have some components dating to at least the late 1960s or early 1970s, they are invariably contaminated with dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) which was widely used in water distribution systems in the US in those decades. This fact is not often discusssed in media.

If you have a sensitivity to that chemical, or think you might have, you may wish to reconsider how you use tap water with your humidification system. DHMO is known to promote corrosion of even strong metals, can cause death when inhaled directly by humans, and can cause intense burning and blistering of the skin under certain circumstances.

YMMV.

OMMOHY
(12-20-2016, 05:45 PM)mcsheltie Wrote: Research has demonstrated that the cancer risk that is associated with chlorinated water may actually be due to showering rather than drinking the disinfected water.

And on that note I'm closing this thread. If you want to start another thread about the dangers from the chlorine in the chlorinated water in a CPAP humidifier tank feel free to do so. If you do decide to do that I suggest you start with a reference to support the claim quoted above.

Those interested in learning more about the different risks associated with water used in the CPAP humidifier tank can read this Wiki article.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 87 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 354 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.