Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Distilled vs. purified water
RE: Distilled vs. purified water
I use purified water and no sign of build-ups after prolonged usage. Distilled is over-rated.
Post Reply Post Reply
For those concerned about inhaling aerosolized chlorinated tap water you should avoid showers because a shower generates a great deal of aerosol which you inhale. Even if there's a very slight aerosol generation from your CPAP it's probably much less in a year than you inhale in a single shower. In other words, there's no reason for concern.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Allow me to get silly on this.
Can we use coffee ? raspberry flavoured vitamin water ?
If only the 'water' is evaporating and entering us, there should be a whole long list of things we can use.
I'll admit that Ive long since forgotten the science behind it, but somehow I feel that some 'things' can also travel in that evaporated liquid.
I wont use my well water.
I wouldnt use city water unless an emerg
I do use distilled water, the cheapest I can find (generally speaking, thats the W)
Odd that I trust that production, but not city waterworks .. lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, interesting idea using coffee. It would work as far as evaporating water from the coffee and any aromatic volatile compounds, but the suspended and dissolved solids would be left in the humidifier chamber. Distilled alcohol would also work to deliver alcohol vapor. Might make things interesting until the liquid evaporated.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2022, 08:33 PM)DaveCar Wrote: Allow me to get silly on this.
Can we use coffee ?  raspberry flavoured vitamin water ?
If only the 'water' is evaporating and entering us,  there should be a whole long list of things we can use.
I'll admit that Ive long since forgotten the science behind it, but somehow I feel that some 'things' can also travel in that evaporated liquid.

The process of creating distilled water is almost identical to the humidification process that occurs in our CPAP machines.

To create distilled water:
  • heat the water 
  • capture the humidity 
  • the solids (and pathogens) do not evaporate and are to large to use the vapour as a vehicle
  • other gases can evaporate, this is why many distilling processes use double or fractional distillation, distilling at various temperatures to separate different types of gasses
  • capture the condensed vapour
  • voila, distilled water
  • optional, run a sanitising agent (often ozone) through the distilled product, this is done to ensure that any pre-existing pathogens in the tanks don't contaminate the distilled water

What happens in our CPAP machines:
  • heat the water
  • capture the humidity
  • for the same reasons that solids and pathogens do not enter the distilled water capturing process, solids and pathogens can't enter our CPAP hose
  • sometimes the humidity condenses back into liquid (rain-out), this water is distilled
  • other gases or (gas products) that might be within the water, could enter the cpap system. This is why we should only use water that is safe to drink and not pond sludge

As described, the only real difference is the temperature used for commercial distilling. This is for the separation of gasses but mostly to speed up the process from days to minutes.

Now this is where some might start screaming, "BUT THE CHLORINE AND FLUORIDES, THEY'RE GAS AND THEY'RE TOXIC, THE GOVERNMENT IS CULLING US". Yes, both, if they were present in our tap water at sufficient levels, would be present in our CPAP humidification. Chlorine is typically added at 4 parts per million at the source, well below harmful levels and is long since gone before it hits our taps. Fluorides are still present but less than 1 PPM and also well below harmful levels. 

Anybody who is concerned about chlorine, fluorides or any other dissolved trace gasses, in our tap water, should be more concerned about showering in it. More gases would be released and breathed while showering. The aeration process releases dissolved gasses in water., and aerosolized water particles are also much larger than that derived from relatively still evaporation.

I would be cautious about putting well-water in my cpap tank and if I lived in an area where the tap water has so much minerals that cleaning was a chore, I would use distilled. Non-distilled water has primarily been used in CPAP since the inception of humidity and is still primarily used in most non-North American markets.

But the amount of people running around touting tap water as inherently unsafe in CPAP devices are wrong. They don't understand what distilled truly is, and their fear-mongering causes others needless stress, expense, inconvenance and even CPAP or Humidification avoidance when traveling or distilled unavailability.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2022, 06:37 PM)Rcgop Wrote: The store i buy my distilled water has not had any in stock for several weeks. Instead they started selling “purified” water.

Likely it's the same water, the only change is in the laws regulating labeling. The water that we buy in those gallon jugs for about a dollar is for "distilled water use" but it is not actually distilled water, if it were it would be much more expensive. Europeans, for example, have to go to a drug store and pay what we Americans would consider an outrageous amount.

They likely filter the water using reverse osmosis (RO), but they probably also filter it through carbon.

I have a whole-house sediment filter and a water softener and also a RO filter in the kitchen. I just used the (softened) tap water in my CPAP chamber. I'd use the RO water but I'm too lazy to walk all the way to the kitchen.

It just doesn't matter that much. If you can drink the water safely, you can use it in your CPAP chamber safely.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate this thread, as I've been quietly worried about not using distilled water. What I've been doing is running tap water through a Brita then boiling it. Sounds like maybe even that is overkill?
Post Reply Post Reply
The filtration is probably good if it minimizes mineral deposits but the boiling is overkill. You inhale more unboiled tap water from the aerosol in a shower than you ever will from your CPAP humidifier.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Your tap water is safe to drink. It must also be safe to inhale as a vapour where it leaves any dissolved mineral salts behind. What you inhale is actually purer than what you drink.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought a cheap water distiller on Amazon so I didn't have to rely on commercial supplies.

But tap water is fine if you don't mind dealing with hard water deposits occasionally.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,086 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 152 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 198 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,931 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,520 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 207 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 240 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.