Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Distilled water vs demineralised water
RE: Distilled water vs demineralised water
Thanks nanbar, I live in Dingley which isn't too far but just as easy for me to get 5Litres at a time
Post Reply Post Reply
Is adding a drop or two of eucalyptus oil to the humidifiers demineralised/tap water a bad thing ? I don't want the humidifier to screw up and neither want my nostrils and parts in it to screw up. I sometimes suffer from congestion. A few drops on my handkerchief and inhaling a lot through the handkerchief helps. So.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started out using distilled water.  
Travelling and getting distilled water can be challenging.
Some trips I used just tap water which worked fine.
Eventually I went 100% tap water.  Now in year 3+ of tap water use.
I drain the water tub every morning.
I clean it every so often to remove any minerals that might be left over.
It has not seemed to bothered my CPAP nor my results either way.
Of course,your water is likely different than anyone else.
Post Reply Post Reply
The local tap water here can be drunk straight. Nevertheless I still have a filter fitted to the bathroom tap. The cartridge is rated to remove >98% chlorine amongst other stuff. I just drink from it if I'm lazy to run to the kitchen at night. It's 2nd use is for topping up my humidifier. So I don't spend $ on distilled or bottled water.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I would never use tap (city) water
that stuff is VILE tasting, cant imagine breathing in that vapor.
better off using swimming pool water

my place has a well, I wouldn't even use that due to the high mineral content of our local groundwater.
I have, in a pinch, used purified drinking water (bottled water from store)
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2017, 11:47 AM)Whacked Wrote: I would never use tap (city) water
that stuff is VILE tasting, cant imagine breathing in that vapor.
better off using swimming pool water

Most cities north of the Mexican border (and maybe south of it but I have no knowledge there) have excellent drinking water.  Chemicals used to disinfect the water will evaporate in a few minutes if you leave it standing for a bit.

There are exceptions.  Your city might be one of them.  But the way you worded this seems like a general statement which, from my knowledge, is wrong.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
May be a Commiefornia thing.

Fresno
Stockton
Walnut Grove
Sacramento
Folsom
Gold River
Fair Oaks
Riverbank
Oakdale
Modesto
Ripon
Manteca
San Diego (and surrounding area)
Burbank

NASTY tasting water.

or perhaps when I tasted the water is was just after the city pumped it full of chlorine/chemicals
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used both tap water and distilled water. The only difference I noticed is some mineral deposits when I use tap water. They are not a health hazard. As has been pointed out by another forum member, we inhale more aerosolized tap water when we shower than we inhale from our CPAP treatment.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2017, 12:49 PM)Whacked Wrote: NASTY tasting water.

or perhaps when I tasted the water is was just after the city pumped it full of chlorine/chemicals

Tasting the water tells you about nothing about how safe it is. 

For instance, water can have enough lead in it to poison you and still taste just fine.  And although chlorine and chloramines in water can taste bad they are about never there in concentrations high enough to harm you.  The biggest water disaster in Canadian history came when a municipal official neglected to add in the "chemicals" that you so fear.  Dozens of people were sickened enough to require hospitalization, and some died as a result of that.

Chlorine forms half of common table salt, and you need it to live.  Yeah, too much chlorine can kill you, but too much of anything can kill you.  Too little will kill you too.

And I hate to break it to you, but you are made up entirely of chemicals.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Never said anything about how safe it is
just how Nasty & Vile tasting it is
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,375 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 356 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.