Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dizziness
Dizziness
So, this forum has helped me greatly and I am now happy with my sleep apnea and how it is well controlled. My issue is that I have had the odd day when I wake up and even before standing up I feel dizzy. It happened when I lowered my pillow height and I thought it was just a blip as it hadn't happened for weeks. However since last Thursday I have been dizzy every moning. Some days it lasts all day, sometimes it is just the first couple of hours but my head does feel a bit woolly afterward. I am ine in myself, no signs of illness. Is there anything in my OSCAR stats that would cause this or anything I can try to eliminate it. Thank you in anticipation  Thanks  

PS I tried sleeping without my soft collar last night and my AHI went up to 11 so that didn't help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dizziness
I have had something called "Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo" or "BPPV" for several years. It's caused by crystals ("otoliths") in the inner ear going somewhere they're not supposed to be and causing dizziness. I would wake up in the morning with it, head movement exacerbates it. The good news is that it is easily treatable at home by doing something called the "Epley Maneuver" which puts the crystals back where they belong. 

Just changing your pillow or head position while you're sleeping could cause this. If the experts here don't see anything in your sleep data, look that up and see if it sounds familiar.
Post Reply Post Reply
could be a variety of things. here's one.

when I feel dizzy it's usually for just a short while after waking. often my face in the mask area is damp. I attribute it to my mask not venting properly, a sure sign the vents need a thorough cleaning or it's time for a new mask.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
also, your flow limitations are pretty high. since your epr is already at 3, the next thing to try is to raise your min pressure. if it takes 8cmw to treat your obstructives, including flow limitations, you're only getting 5 on exhale and epap is what keeps the airway open. that flow limitations are why you wake up dizzy might be a longshot but best to try to reduce them anyway.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
You have 2 things going on that I see..

First you have what looks like a little bit of positional apnea - not a lot but something to keep in mind.  Positional apnea is when you lie in a position that cuts off your own airway by chin tucking.  Maybe too high of a pillow or sleeping on your back.  Chin tucking is when your chin drops down to your sternum cutting off you airway.  You cant fix it changing pressure only by stopping the chin tucking.  Again, it is not a lot but be aware of it.

Second is Flow limits - Flow limits are apnea just like obstructive and  Hypopnea are.  They are not as big of an event but can stop you from getting into deep sleep or even waking you up.  We treat FL by using EPR.  EPR can cause more centrals so we need to watch for that.  I would try EPR=3 and see how that does.  It should allow you to get a better nights sleep...
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2021, 11:04 AM)Utah Desert Rat Wrote: I have had something called "Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo" or "BPPV" for several years. It's caused by crystals ("otoliths") in the inner ear going somewhere they're not supposed to be and causing dizziness. I would wake up in the morning with it, head movement exacerbates it. The good news is that it is easily treatable at home by doing something called the "Epley Maneuver" which puts the crystals back where they belong. 

Just changing your pillow or head position while you're sleeping could cause this. If the experts here don't see anything in your sleep data, look that up and see if it sounds familiar.

Thank you, I want to try and keep ths as a last resort. Might endup going to GP
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2021, 01:29 PM)sheepless Wrote: also, your flow limitations are pretty high. since your epr is already at 3, the next thing to try is to raise your min pressure. if it takes 8cmw to treat your obstructives, including flow limitations, you're only getting 5 on exhale and epap is what keeps the airway open. that flow limitations are why you wake up dizzy might be a longshot but best to try to reduce them anyway.

Thank you I will try that too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2021, 02:08 PM)staceyburke Wrote: You have 2 things going on that I see..

First you have what looks like a little bit of positional apnea - not a lot but something to keep in mind.  Positional apnea is when you lie in a position that cuts off your own airway by chin tucking.  Maybe too high of a pillow or sleeping on your back.  Chin tucking is when your chin drops down to your sternum cutting off you airway.  You cant fix it changing pressure only by stopping the chin tucking.  Again, it is not a lot but be aware of it.

Second is Flow limits - Flow limits are apnea just like obstructive and  Hypopnea are.  They are not as big of an event but can stop you from getting into deep sleep or even waking you up.  We treat FL by using EPR.  EPR can cause more centrals so we need to watch for that.  I would try EPR=3 and see how that does.  It should allow you to get a better nights sleep...

Thank you I am already on EPR3 but am going to increase min pressure sightly to see if that helps. I also wear a soft collar which has reduced my AHI significantly.  I think I just need a couple of tweaks to get it just right.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you checked your blood pressure? low blood pressure can cause dizziness.

Question. Your flow limitation on your 17 was pretty high toward the end of your sleep, but on the 19th, comparatively very low compared to the other two days. What did you do on the 19th that was different from the 17, and the 18? Did you possibly have sinus congestion on the 17th? Were you wearing a collar all 3 days?

Or is your flow limitations and OA pretty inconsistent?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not an expert and have only been on PAP therapy for a short time, so just speaking from my own experience.   I have allergies and had some trouble with middle ear fluid for a couple of months when starting CPAP.  This middle ear fluid made me dizzy.  Is it possible you could have fluid in the middle ear or an ear infection?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 181 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,109 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41
  [CPAP] CA Events and Morning Dizziness gold3n 3 452 09-12-2023, 01:15 PM
Last Post: gold3n
  [Health] Dizziness and high blood pressure Okbutton 2 518 06-13-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ketanerp - Excessive dream, dizziness and sleep apnea. ketanerp 17 1,772 12-26-2022, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Lucid
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 23 3,058 02-02-2022, 01:16 PM
Last Post: geosyncline
  Dizziness Lab718 4 1,459 12-21-2018, 03:07 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.