Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do CPAP/ APAP machines really work?
Do CPAP/ APAP machines really work?
Hi,
I'm new here, I've just been diagnosed with Sleep apnea and have been provided with a ResMed S9 Auto, last night was my first try with it.... it went OK but I was still waking up, I know it may take a while to get used to it but just wondering how bigger difference the machine makes, at the moment I feel exhausted throughout the day and I'm really hoping this improves how I feel.
I have an appointment next week with the sleep clinic to see how I get on and to fine tune things if needed.

Anyone have any advice for a newbie?

Thanks,

Mick.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do CPAP/ APAP machines really work?
Hi MickD,
The hardest part is getting the right mask fit, and making sure there are no leaks.
Yes, it takes awhile for some to adapt, and others can adapt overnight. What you are experiencing is normal, just give it time.

Do you know what your pressure setting is? It could be too high and waking you, or you could have mask leaks, which would cause you to wake also.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OpalRose,
Thanks for your response, sorry I don't know anything, I had an overnight sleep test that measured heart rate and blood oxygen levels then I was asked to go back for a CPAP trial, all the doctor said was that the results of the overnight test revealed I have 'serious' case of sleep apnea and that my blood oxygen levels were dangerously low, I was in a bit of shock to be honest so didnt think to ask many questions, he fitted a mask and told me all i need to do is switch the machine on at night and switch it off again in the morning, so not sure of any levels etc.... but I will find out at my next visit :-)

One other question when I first put the mask on last night and switched the machine on the pressure didnt seem as strong as when the doctor was fitting the mask, it seemed very weak, could it be the ramp setting that I have read about? didnt want to mess about with the settings too much until I know what I'm doing, I know there is a leak test setting but the doc didnt have it on that so that cant be the reason.

Thanks,

Mick.
Post Reply Post Reply
MickD,

Hello and welcome to the forums. I am new here as well. I am on day 6 of my therapy. I am still working out the kinks and adjusting to the newness of it all. Although while it isn't a huge difference yet, I have noticed a difference in my energy levels for the days I've been using it so far. So I know it's working and helping. Once I find the right mask and fit It'll probably be even better. But I'm going to stick with it one way or another because in the long run this is something for my health and I don't see it as optional. So give it time and have patience. Everyone is different and responds differently.

So keep us updated on your progress and stick with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I slept about 2 hours on my first night with CPAP, so if you made it through most of the night, you have me beat.

It took me about 6 months to get the leaks down andd= find a mask I could get along with.

It's been almost two years and I was just thinking recently how little I've been waking up at night (Before I was treated it was easily 10+ times a night, something more like ~5 for a lot of my treatment, but it has been steadily getting better).

My advice would be to learn about monitoring software, and get the clinician's manual for this website so you know how to change the settings yourself. This will allow you to tell how your treatment is working and determine how adjustments are helping or hurting you (changing masks, for instance).
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2015, 07:21 AM)MickD Wrote: Hi,
I'm new here, I've just been diagnosed with Sleep apnea and have been provided with a ResMed S9 Auto, last night was my first try with it.... it went OK but I was still waking up, I know it may take a while to get used to it but just wondering how bigger difference the machine makes, at the moment I feel exhausted throughout the day and I'm really hoping this improves how I feel.
I have an appointment next week with the sleep clinic to see how I get on and to fine tune things if needed.

Anyone have any advice for a newbie?

Thanks,

Mick.

I'm a newbie as well Mick and I'm still having trouble with waking up. I really didn't see a big improvement until the end of the first week. I still woke up, but only once per night instead of constantly.

I've had some machine issues - I bought a used machine because I was desperate and it had a frying circuitboard. Then, had to go a week without a machine. Got my new machine and it wasn't working right (funny odor and stopped recording partway through the night). I am on a loaner now, which, as a Respironics 60 automachine, wasn't doing me any good, but now at the straight pressure, doing well. I hope to get my replacement machine before the end of the week, but not holding my breath. Honestly, I think I preferred the S9 over the Airsense, but I can say that it worked well!

I am currently having more issues with Restless Leg Syndrome which may be why the waking up has been more problematic this week.

I highly suggest that you download Sleepyhead software, get an SD card reader and look at your data. Upload it to this thread and some very experienced people can help you with interpretation.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a little over 4 weeks on my loaner. Changed to nasal pillows and that worked for me. The last 2 days I have slept 8 hours with the cpap. That is unbelievable for me.

Took me about 3 weeks to kinda get it. Now in the morning I have to check the airflow to make sure it is still on as my body got used to the pressure in the night.

I am liking this very much. Stay with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2015, 07:21 AM)MickD Wrote: ...I was still waking up, I know it may take a while to get used to it but just wondering how bigger difference the machine makes...

Yes, the machines do work, and the effectiveness is usually 100%. And by that I mean it can lower your AHI below 5, which is essentially the same as if you did not have sleep apnea. That defines to me as "bigger difference", for sure. It is also pretty non-invasive.

This therapy is almost in a miracle category. Those who fail with xPAP typically fail because they can't tolerate the mask. If you can tolerate the mask, you can probably expect a great outcome, eventually.

So there should be motivation to stick with it.

Realize that the xPAP is there to prevent most obstructive apneas, and will not really address hypops and CA events all that well. So it is important that the sleep doc parses data from your sleep study and prescribes the right sort of machine. There are other machines that address other sleep issues besides OSA a bit more effectively.

This will probably make you feel better once the therapy is dialed in (that is the important part), but not necessarily, because we don't yet know if the SA is what is causing your discomfort. Odds are good, however.

"Still waking up" can also be from issues other than SA. But get this therapy working first is my suggestion, and then see what else you might have to address.

Those who have the most successful outcomes are those who come here and educate themselves, and then take charge of their own therapy. Think of it as a project. And think of this forum as a community that is happy to assist you with your project.
Post Reply Post Reply
From the sleep technologist the night of my hospital sleep lab study:

"CPAP therapy is 100% effective" (add: if you do your part).

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MickD,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to but I encourage you to stick with it.
Ramp is a comfort feature and if you find it is causing you to be uncomfortable, you can turn it off or back the ramp timer down and use it for less time.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 101 3 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 367 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 571 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 428 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,414 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.