Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do CPAP/ APAP machines really work?
RE: Do CPAP/ APAP machines really work?
Every mask has a different intentional leak profile. This is very important so you don't rebreathe your exhaled CO2. One of the many differences between masks is how quietly and efficiently they vent. Also the size and weight of the mask. They vary from total face, full face to the tiniest nasal pillows. Finding the right mask is not always easy but it does pay off in the end.

The leaks around your checks, the bridge of your nose and chin are the ones you need to identify and tame.
Post Reply Post Reply
MickD, Try to avoid sleeping on your back. It's the single most effective thing you can do to keep the therapy pressure as low as possible on an auto machine. Later on you may be able to tolerate the higher pressure required for supine sleeping but for a beginner, side sleeping is recommended.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Sad 
I too am a new starter and I'm wondering if I expected too much. I have had "chronic fatigue" or whatever for decades but not as debilitating as some get it. A combination of factors including getting the chronic stressor condition under control and dietary supplements now has me pretty healthy for a 70 year old. But the unrefreshing sleep persists.

My sleep test showed moderate apnea but 0% SWS and <7% REM. My first ten days of trial do not seem to have changed that.

Is there a simple monitor such as a phone app that can record the quality of sleep? I assume the SD card on the Resmed machine would not tell me that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your comments, the leaks from the valve are still really bad but I've got an appointment to see the sleep guy on Thursday so will hopefully get to the bottom of it then.

Sleeping is not too good and I'm still waking up a few times throughout the night, although Saturday night I did sleep straight through but that could be because i had moved my daughter and i was exhausted :-)
This morning though i feel totally drained..... can't wait for Thursday.

Mick.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2015, 09:10 PM)Hanrahan Wrote: I too am a new starter and I'm wondering if I expected too much. I have had "chronic fatigue" or whatever for decades but not as debilitating as some get it. A combination of factors including getting the chronic stressor condition under control and dietary supplements now has me pretty healthy for a 70 year old. But the unrefreshing sleep persists.

My sleep test showed moderate apnea but 0% SWS and <7% REM. My first ten days of trial do not seem to have changed that.

Is there a simple monitor such as a phone app that can record the quality of sleep? I assume the SD card on the Resmed machine would not tell me that.

Depends on how you interpret "quality of sleep". The data from your machine, if fully data capable, will tell you a lot about your quality of sleep but will not tell you how much time you spent in the various sleep stages. Since you are still testing machines, you will want to select one that is fully data capable and has software available with which to review the data in a statistical or graphical presentation.

There are various "quality of sleep" monitors but I have not seen one that I would trust. Others may have a different opinion on this. I am a fairly suspicious old f*rt.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2015, 08:10 AM)MickD Wrote: I had an overnight sleep test that measured heart rate and blood oxygen levels then I was asked to go back for a CPAP trial, all the doctor said was that the results of the overnight test revealed I have 'serious' case of sleep apnea and that my blood oxygen levels were dangerously low,

Likely he used the word "severe" which means you have a AHI of 30 or higher.

To answer your original question, the machine inflates your upper airway so that when your diaphragm moves air can be drawn into your lungs. Without this help you cannot breathe until you wake up and use your voluntary muscles to open your airway. What wakes you up is low blood oxygen, which can lead to heart attacks and strokes. The waking up repeatedly (AHI of 30 means 30 times per hour or once every two minutes, on average) means you can't get the sleep you need to live life to the fullest. So in summary without this machine you will lead a miserable sleep-deprived life and die early of a heart attack or stroke.

What the machine does is enable your body to stay asleep. Your brain must cooperate. Yours isn't because it's in the habit of having to wake you up repeatedly to breathe. As you continue to use your machine your brain will get the idea and cooperate. This may be a gradual process requiring patience.

Quote:but what is also happening is air is leaking from the valve on the mask,

There are vent holes designed to purge the hose of exhaled air. This is normal and necessary. Otherwise you inhale your own exhaled air.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mick, it might be time to download SleepyHead software so that you can get a closer look at your data. It will give a better picture of what is going on, and if you have questions you can post pics here that some of the more-seasoned among us might be able to provide info on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Morning, went back to the sleep therapist, they checked the settings on the S9 and were happy with the results. They said on the overnight test they did that measured O2 levels etc... i was getting over 70 episodes per hour, but using the machine has brought this down to under 3 per hour, i was amazed firstly at the original number and secondly that the machine was working so well.
I was having a few leaks so I changed the mask from medium to large, What a mistake, it was much worse last night, I had to have the mask so tight to stop the leaks it was painful... so I think I'll ask for a medium mask again and persevere with that.

Over the last week my average pressure was 17 so they swapped the AutoSet for an Escape and set the pressure at 17.

I've just come to download the data into Sleepyhead just to see how bad the night was but its not showing anything?? on the Daily screen it just says summary..? and all i can see is the pressure was 17...
Does this model not work with sleepyhead?

Thanks,

Mick.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Mick

Send the Escape back and get them to return your Autoset. The Escape is a crippled machine which gives only one set pressure at a time and no usable data. Putting it bluntly - they're having a lend of you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 01:57 AM)MickD Wrote: Over the last week my average pressure was 17 so they swapped the AutoSet for an Escape and set the pressure at 17.

I've just come to download the data into Sleepyhead just to see how bad the night was but its not showing anything?? on the Daily screen it just says summary..? and all i can see is the pressure was 17...
Does this model not work with sleepyhead?

Thanks,

Mick.
They shortchanged you, S9 Escape is brick, no useful data on the machine or on the SD card

Check out .... S9 specifications
http://www.s9morecomfort.com/s9morecomfo...gb/sp.html

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 79 11 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.