Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do I Have A Mask Problem? (F30i)
Do I Have A Mask Problem? (F30i)
Hi all, I wore my CPAP last night for the first time. It is an Airsense 11. I really struggled with the mask leaking. It seems that every time that I would doze off the pressure would go up far enough so that when I exhaled it would go out all around the mask and wake me up. I tried OSCAR and it said that my average pressure was 5.62 and my max was 8.26. Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to give it time to get used to it? I am really not looking forward to another night like that. Thank you very much.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I Have A Mask Problem?
Yes, it seems from what you describe that your mask isn't fitting right.  Leaks from your mask will disrupt your sleep. And is sounds like your machine is raising pressure to compensate for leaks, which it can't.

Please tell us which full face mask you are using.

We would be happy to look at your OSCAR data from last night to give you more accurate advice.  Otherwise, we are just guessing.

Please use this link to take a Screenshot of the daily page. (Use the F12 key)  
Standard view.
Then use the Attachment Feature to post your chart here.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the help, this is kind of all Greek to me. I am using the full face mask, not sure which manufacturer. I am guessing ResMed being as that is where everything else came from. I am sending a pic of the daily tab in OSCAR. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I looked on the mask and it is a RESMED F30i.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I Have A Mask Problem? (F30i)
Great, I'll let someone else that uses that mask give some hints, but the bottom line is if you can feel the air all around the mask, it isn't sealing well at all.  

Your leak rate is too high and the machine can't compensate for the leaks.  See how your pressure goes up and down.  With that happening, you can't rely on the results either.  

Try adjusting the mask straps while the pressure is on and you are lying down.  You don't want it real tight or loose.  

Your pressure settings aren't optimal either, but you need to get the leaks under control first.

Also, read the Mask Primer to get some ideas.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again, Opal Rose. What did you mean that "Your pressure settings aren't optimal either"? That is what my Doctor said that it should be is 4-20. I myself think that it is a pretty wide margin.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your CPAP is wide-open in pressure. Normally, adults will feel air starved on pressures below 7 cm. Until you post some daily screenshots, your actual pressure range will not be possible to predict.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Crimson Nape. The strange thing thru all of this is when I woke up this morning the LED screen on the Air Sense 11 said that the mask sealed GREAT!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry!  I'm not following your statement about your mask seal having any correlation to your CPAP's pressure range setting.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2022, 07:06 PM)CChamp Wrote: Thanks again, Opal Rose. What did you mean that "Your pressure settings aren't optimal either"? That is what my Doctor said that it should be is 4-20. I myself think that it is a pretty wide margin.

Your chart shows your settings to be 4 minimum and 20 maximum.  
This is a wide open setting.  4 is too low and can cause you to feel air starved.  

Also, EPR won't work until you at least hit a pressure of 7.   EPR set at 3 will drop the pressure on exhalation 3cm.  7 - 3 = 4cm on exhalation.

You minimum pressure would be better to set minimum at 7cm with a maximum setting of 15cm.
Set EPR to 2 to start.

We won't know if this is optimal or not with a high leak rate.

Note: You have to work on the mask leaks.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,563 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,328 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,466 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 331 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 550 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  New CPAP User - f30i Mask Troubles CcReesezzzzz01 6 824 01-31-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: CcReesezzzzz01

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.