Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do I Need an Clinic Sleep Study
Do I Need an Clinic Sleep Study
I'm new to this board and I'm learning SOOOOO much!  Thanks for all the great info. 
I did an in home test last week and got the call today from the sleep clinic that said the results showed 'severe sleep apnea'.  They then told me they wanted me to schedule an in-clinic sleep study to determine things like pressures, blood-oxygen mix, etc.  I know I have Sleep Apnea, the home study proved it without a doubt, do I really need the additional expense (I have that wonderful insurance deductible hanging over me) of an in-clinic sleep study or can they not hook me up with a CPAP machine that would do the auto pressure?  Again, I'm way new to this so any advice would be very helpful.
Thanks.
Scott
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I Need an Clinic Sleep Study
(06-23-2020, 06:10 PM)Digitalsaw Wrote: I'm new to this board and I'm learning SOOOOO much!  Thanks for all the great info. 
I did an in home test last week and got the call today from the sleep clinic that said the results showed 'severe sleep apnea'.  They then told me they wanted me to schedule an in-clinic sleep study to determine things like pressures, blood-oxygen mix, etc.  I know I have Sleep Apnea, the home study proved it without a doubt, do I really need the additional expense (I have that wonderful insurance deductible hanging over me) of an in-clinic sleep study or can they not hook me up with a CPAP machine that would do the auto pressure?  Again, I'm way new to this so any advice would be very helpful.
Thanks.
Scott

There's a lot of highly experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum that I'm quite sure could help you out if you decided not to do an in-lab study. 

Myself, I took the in-lab study, but I have very good insurance that paid for it. 

Someone will be along shortly to pick up where I left off.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you ask for a prescription for Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset (auto-CPAP) and self-titration, we will help you to self titrate. You will get therapy sooner, cheaper and with settings that work. If you get the sleep study (titration study), you will get an unknown machine, controlled by others, at a much later date, after another clinical sleep study, and using a fixed pressure they found best during their brief test. We can help you do it better, cheaper, faster. I have never seen a titration study, we couldn't improve on with auto CPAP, especially the Resmed Autoset.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Assuming you have no other issues, especially respiratory issues, the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet is the best.
Most sleep lab tests will suggest a CPAP vs a BiLevel or ASV which depend mostly on medical condition.
It would help to see the redacted sleep study.

Because of the mention of oxygen levels I'd suggest that you get an oximeter compatible with OSCAR so we can see what is happening there
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for the response. So, based upon the in-home study and their diagnosis of severe sleep apnea, I can simply request A prescription for the machine I designate and they have to give it to me?  Again, I’m so new to all of this it’s difficult to navigate through it all. Now, I will tell you, this sleep clinic does recommend ResMed Machines yes I have talk to one of the interns during my first visit.  Machines as I have talk to one of the interns during my first visit.
Post Reply Post Reply
To be clear, you are likely limited to the CPAP class machines but you do not want the ResMed model called "CPAP", it is the cheapest, and most cost effective for your DME. You want either the AutoSet or the AutoSet for Her which has an additional therapy mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason we suggest requesting a prescription rather than submitting to an additional sleep test is:
1. No matter what your sleep test results, you will be issued a CPAP. This is due to insurance requirements that CPAP must be tried and failed before higher levels of machines like BiPAP will be authorized.

2. The Autoset will provide all the data needed to optimize your therapy settings. Your provider and doctor will be able to see data from your machine remotely to monitor your progress. This really makes a test unnecessary.

3. Test cost money and are uncomfortable. You don't need it. If your insurance is exceptional, and you won't have copay or deductibles from a titration test, then financially it is a painless decision to take it, but will still delay starting therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone.  I'm going to push for the ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set.  I've got a call into them now.
Post Reply Post Reply
The one question I have is what they meant with the reference to O2. Could you clarify with them whether they were going to try out providing different levels of supplemental O2? If yes, that might tip the balance toward doing the test. Otherwise, no need, as others have explained.
Post Reply Post Reply
No attempt to speak for others, but could the O2 reference have been SpO2 level or some such? There wouldn't be a setting per se to adjust. It could have been a bullet point thing "we'll discuss bullet point A B C with you when you visit" or a similar scenario. It boils down to the doc or staff telling you what they think they saw on the test results and what they think you need to do to fix it.

Good thing is ResMed is discussed as machine brand. Keep them to it. No offense to users of Respironics, but ScreamStation successes aren't as likely as ResMed would afford you.

Things that should be on the script are pressure settings and I'd request specifically naming ResMed AutoSet (or AutoSet For Her) by name with Dispense As Written as well. The DME cannot substitute if DAW is on the script as I understand it.

Good luck to ya. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 79 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 537 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 69 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.