Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do I Need an Clinic Sleep Study
RE: Do I Need an Clinic Sleep Study
(06-24-2020, 09:23 AM)Digitalsaw Wrote: Thanks everyone.  I'm going to push for the ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set.  I've got a call into them now.

My SIL was diagnosed with sleep apnea earlier this year. Like me, she know nothing about it. She did know that I had been on the therapy for over a year when she was diagnosed. 

By being a member of this forum, I knew enough to tell her to check into a ResMed 10 AutoSet For Her model. That's exactly what she did. She told me that the staff was impressed that she knew what she wanted, and they agreed totally. 

For a while, she was struggling with the mask she received. She tried some others, and I think finally found one that suits her.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't tell you guys how much this thread has helped already.  Here is my update.

First, I was able to get the Sleep Study Office to write the order for the ResMed Airsense 10 with the Autoset.  This took some pushing on my part but in the end my apnea was enough that they felt the ResMed Airsense 10 would be able to handle it and they would be monitoring my stats.

I also asked for the results of the Home Study and they said I can come by and pick them up anytime. 
Additionally, I've already spoken with the CPAP provider office (Aerocare) and I should be able to go in sometime tomorrow once they process the order and get set up.  I have Aetna insurance and apparently that helps grease the skids.  I can almost sense that good night's sleep coming to me! 

Thanks again and I know I will have many more questions.  This forum has been invaluable.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Well done! A little advice when you get your machine. Check the pressure settings. If the minimum is below 6, consider raising it to 6. Lower pressures make quite a few people feel starved for air. Check to see whether the machine has been set to offer you some EPR (Expiratory Pressure Relief). This makes it easier to exhale.

Set up your machine outside your bedroom and mask up, then spend some time doing something diverting, like watching TV or reading, so your body has a chance to experience the new sensations in some other setting than a dark room where you are trying to fall asleep. You can actually do that for a few hours a day for a few days before trying you first night-time use.

If you have a computer, download the Oscar software (see link at top of page). If your computer doesn't have an SD slot, buy a cheap SD card reader. When the machine arrives, make sure it has an SD card in the slot on the left side of the machine. After your first night's use, import your data so you can easily see what's going on.

Please don't hesitate to start a new thread to let us know how it's going and ask questions. I wish you all the best as you begin treatment for your apnea!
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW consider this a head's up note about interacting with any DME, they have your insurance info and that is all they need to accept the script and issue a device. Credit or debit card numbers are not needed. I will not share that with a DME. I recently had a new power rehab chair delivered as I have mobility difficulty. I had the DME for this wheelchair work it with the insurance info only. The printout spec sheet for all the items was $28,500. If a DME can run that with no CC number, you can get your CPAP. There's been a few that did share the CC or debit number and shady DMEs wanted to double dip the price or other questionable shenanigans. Just trying to save you an avoidable headache.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great advice Dormeo.  I will try that.  I'm very anxious to get hooked up and using this as I'm really in need of a good night sleep but I want to do it right.  A good friend of mine who has a CPAP machine said he had trouble with many of the masks and eventually went with the nose pillow mask.  I sleep on my side a lot (back trouble) and am thinking of trying that.  I would be interested in anyone's thoughts on these (realizing this is going to be a very individual preference).

Hey SarcasticDave.  Good advice.  This DME (I had never heard that acronym before so I looked it up) seems to be a very well known and has a great reputation but I will still process everything through insurance.  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Best wishes you come out reasonably unscathed. Post charts or questions when you take possession of the new alien face mask reverse vacuum.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As a side sleeper, try to keep the mask 8ff the pillow as that may shift the mask and cause leaks. Over the edge usually works.

Start with the p10 pillows.
An old school nasal mask to consider is the ResMed mirage Activa. This mask has a lot of play in it as the seal portion can move about . 5 inch while maintaining the seal thanks to a bellows between the seal and the frame. It is intended for active sleepers. Disadvantage is that it is a large and bulky mask by today's standards. It's secret is that bellows, it literally floats on your face when properly fit with the air pressure actually making the seal.
Post Reply Post Reply
That depends on if you have ever had a clinical full sleep study done before. If not, you will need one for all the reasons you mentioned. "At home" sleep test remote monitoring is primarily done for 2 reasons, first, to see if you may have an apnea issue initially, secondly, if you have been diagnosed and treated for apnea for a while, to determine if any pressure adjustments are needed. If you haven't had one before, an initial formal diagnosis will need a clinical sleep lab study.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay folks. First, thanks again for all the help. I finally got my ResMed machine (Autoset 10) yesterday along with the ResMed AirFit P30i Nose Mask and got it set up and used it last night. WOW!!! I went to bed at 11 PM and didn't wake up until 4:30 AM (I usually wake up at 5). I already feel so much better. It took almost no time to get used to it. My 'myAir' score was 88 this morning and that is with messing with the mask before I went to sleep and when I woke up. It is night and day how good I feel this morning!

Also, I was able to get my home sleep study report. I'm not sure if I can attach photos here but I can give you some of my results.

Monitoring Time - 6:52
Events Index - REI (AHI) 60.8 AI: 30.6 HI: 30.2
Supine REI (AHI) 64 AI: 46.4 (1:52Hr) HI: 17.8 Percentage 32
Non-Supine REI (AHI) 61.8 AI: 61.8 (3:15Hr) HI: 43.8 Percentage 55.6
Events Total Apneas 179 Hypopneas 177
Apnea Index Obstructive 15.7 Central: 12 Mixed 1.2 Unclassified: 1.7

Oxygen desaturation ODI 58.4 Total 319
Oxygen saturation% Baseline: 96 Average: 91 Lowest: 74
Breaths: Total: 3,579 Average/Min: 10.2 Snores: 3,237
Pulse - bmp: Min: 47 Average: 68 Max: 96

The diagnosis was 'Severe Sleep Apnea'.

I know it will take a few nights of good sleep to get my energy back but I'm on the path. Thanks everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW: If you want to attach photos, have a saved image file on a PC and go via New Attachment and the rest of that path at the bottom of a Post a New Reply box. Just size it down to 700 kb to fit attachment size limits. It should be the same as posting OSCAR, except for the manual sizing adjustments possibility.

2 comments on the study info from me are you may wish to monitor oxygen levels for a little bit at the beginning to see if they increase upon CPAP usage. An average of 91 is a bit low, but it's likely due to apnea events being present. Second is watch CA counts on OSCAR. You had 12 CA to 15.7 OA, so it's not overly concerning, but they are close to being equal. This is important in how settings for therapy should be handled. It's possible that you may not handle wide pressure swings very well. Just actively monitor these, post OSCAR data, and comment on a "How do you feel?" regularly for the next little bit. We want to help you stay on track and get the best out of the PAP therapy. Best wishes on success.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 246 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 534 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 68 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.