Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do I Still Need Cpap?
Do I Still Need Cpap?
After being on cpap therapy for 8 years I am not sure I still need it. My sleep study 8 years ago was when I was 30 pounds heavier. After healthier eating and more exercise I feel better than 8 years ago. I have skipped using cpap for a week or so a few times in the past couple years and can't tell any difference in my sleep or feel the next day. I am ~ 97% compliant the last 8 years.  
  In last year my averages were, ahi 1.37 events per hour, leak rate 5.4 L/min, average nightly usage 7 hrs 40 min. Continue to use positives:  full face mask helps keep mouth closed cutting down on mouth breathing and biting inside of mouth. Negatives are swallowing air causing bloating/cramps, dry mouth, and sometime stuffy nose. 
  Wondering if any readers on this forum have stopped cpap after lifestyle changes. I rather not do another cpap study.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I Still Need Cpap?
You could move the min and max to 4 - the lowest pressure any pap machine goes and see if your AHI is higher. It still is giving therapy but it would give indication if your apnea is better after weight loss.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
While I also realize that setting max=min=4 may show you still need CPAP, it cannot prove that you do not. If you have very few to no events after the above I do encourage you to take a diagnostic sleep test to show that you do not currently need CPAP.

Also be aware that over time, and for reasons other than weight, in the future you may need to return to CPAP. This has happened to many.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why not post some charts?

All you've really shared is:
  • You've lost weight
  • You AHI average is 1.37, and this is with the benefit of therapy

Because you're still measuring an average AHI of 1.37 with therapy, this suggests you still might need CPAP. At least with some charts, we'll see what type of Apneas they are, FLs, if and what you're device is responding to.

But while you're receiving therapy and without a sleep study, making the determination that you no longer suffer from OSA is a guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2022, 04:13 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: Why not post some charts?

All you've really shared is:
  • You've lost weight
  • You AHI average is 1.37, and this is with the benefit of therapy

Because you're still measuring an average AHI of 1.37 with therapy, this suggests you still might need CPAP. At least with some charts, we'll see what type of Apneas they are, FLs, if and what you're device is responding to.

But while you're receiving therapy and without a sleep study, making the determination that you no longer suffer from OSA is a guess.
I will attempt to post charts. New user of Oscar and I took several screen shots. I see I am limited to 3 posts. If these are not the shots needed, I have more

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
CPAPSC,
We need to see a Screenshot of the daily page.

Follow the link below in my signature line to guide you in Organizing the chart.

Please include the left sidebar, minus the calendar and pie chart. The graphs most useful are: Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Flow Limitation and Leak.
We would ask for more if needed.

If you use the F12 key to take a Screenshot and select Standard, the graph will be arranged as needed.

BTW, your AHI is still pretty high according to the chart you posted.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=40292 Wrote:OpalRose pid='437029' dateline='1646014119']                     CPAPSC,
We need to see a Screenshot of the daily page.

Follow the link below in my signature line to guide you in Organizing the chart.

Please include the left sidebar, minus the calendar and pie chart.  The graphs most useful are:  Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Flow Limitation and Leak.
We would ask for more if needed.

If you use the F12 key to take a Screenshot and select Standard, the graph will be arranged as needed.

BTW, your AHI is still pretty high according to the chart you posted.

Thanks. I hope this is what you need.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for posting the charts.  Despite your low AHI, you are experiencing high Flow Limitations, Hypopneas, and some Reras.  

I really can't say if you still need Cpap.  Only another sleep study would show that.  
I certainly understand why you wouldn't want to go that route.  

In your first post, you said you've gone without using your Cpap for a week at a time, and you couldn't tell the difference.  I know that if I went without for one day, I would know the difference.

I do want to congratulate you on the weight loss.  I have heard of others that were able to discontinue Cpap after weight loss.  I've also heard that many end up back on therapy after a few years.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your flow limits are very high and drive up your pressure to the max you have set all night. Flow limits ARE apnea. They are not timed while O and H must be 10 sec to record as AHI, so your AHI looks low but again you have a lot of flow limits. We use EPR to help with Flow Limits. I can not see your setting. But I would recommend you try this setting to see if it will help.

Min 8
Max 10
EPR 3
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
There is nothing in your charts that suggests you no longer need CPAP. In fact just the opposite, your charts  suggest you need more minimum pressure and more maximum pressure.

Your pressure immediately jumps to 9 and virtually stays there, it can't go higher because your maximum is handcuffing it. This suggests a minimum pressure of at least 9.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.