Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do I have UARS or Sleep apnea?
Do I have UARS or Sleep apnea?
Hi all,

I've been suffering from all types of sleeping problems for years now.

I'm 37m and healthy weight.
But have all the symptoms of a sleep disorder including nocturia, brain fog, waking up unrefreshed, depression etc.

I've had a couple of sleep studies and attached below.

One suggested a high RDI but sleep doctor is suggesting it is respiratory and is my brain waking me up??

Any ideas on an appropriate diagnosis and treatment?

Any insights appreciated. 

Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I have UARS or Sleep apnea?
First UARS is considered same as Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

By the numbers you have Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

Because you classify as severe I'd say you don't have "UARS".
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok thanks. My question is am I actually stopping breathing? I have a wellue 02 ring and sp0 didn't drop below 92/93% so I'm confused on how bad it is and best possible treatment.
I've seen an ENT and they are recommending tongue base and epiglottis stiffening based on a DISE.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, you actually stopped breathing for 16-18 seconds a bit less than once every 2.5 hours. That is not bad at all.

However you exhibited restricted breathing for a average 22 seconds 40 times per hour to 50-80% of normal. . Which is like having your partner elbow you in the ribs every 90 seconds on average all night long. That prevents you from getting restorative sleep and significantly wears your body down over time.

CPAP/APAP is the Gold Standard treatment. Doctors tend to recommend solutions within their expertise. On surgery I have no expertise but it is likely that several weeks of recovery you will have at least lessened the OSA you have. You should be aware that many who have had various surgeries have had recurrences in the future or still need to use a PAP machine. The choice here is yours. Either way we will still be here to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mjacobs,

I suggestion right now you do not get hung up on names other than which type of machine will give better results. UARS may not be complete obstruction, but being aroused interrupts sleep.

Are all three links to the same time period. I see no mention of central events but see some in yellow.

Do you have a graph of brain wave with arousals on it. That was a real eye opener for me. If I remember correctly, my O2 never went below 91%. The couple of hours I thought I was awake during the study was my brain going from deep sleep to awake continuously. I averaged 21events during total study, so it must have been a lot.

Just now that you will get better, you may have a challenge head of you. Your brain will love the extra air.

Do not get discouraged, especially when you start feeling better but are not as good as great.

I personally know many people who have machines with different issues and results on machines. All are doing better on their machines.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 91 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 988 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 633 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.