Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do I need bipap? never had sleep study done
Do I need bipap? never had sleep study done
I got a Philips  bipap auto sv advanced..

Is this auto ? as in it changes pressure as i needed?

I never had a sleep study done... do i need bipap?

I can buy an s8 auto easy breathe from a friend for 100 bucks with only 500 h ours .. maybe i should buy that one ?
thats auto too right?   

just not sure if i need a bipap

I saw on amazon i can buy an at home sleep device called Watchpat one for 230 bucks..
but as long as i got an Auto cpap device i dont think i need it because the auto cpap device will adjust pressure as needed so no need for a sleep study.

I was told years ago on this forum to set pressure to around average,  ten,  and since was using s8 auto it would adjust as needed.

what u guys think?

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
What size mask i need? i think i'm a mouth breather
I got a x large Resmed Quattro mask. I never had sleep study or anything but pretty dang sure i got sleep apnea.

I heard i should measure from inside of my eyes to bottom of mouth right?

how do i know which side mask i need?  i think i need an extra large mask though.

If i am a nose breather.. never hurts to have the full mask though right?

thanks guys
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I need bipap? never had sleep study done
Hi steveairway! - Welcome
The Resmed S8 is 1990s technology and is 2 model releases back.  The Resmed S9 and A10 series are much better units and are able to have a free program, OSCAR, analyze your sleep data.  I would stay away from the S8 series.  

I have to admit that I am somewhat confused by your post.  Your profile states you are using a Resmed Auto ASV but your post says that you have a Philips.  Is this an extra machine?   Auto ASV devices are basically the top-of-the-line CPAP devices that can be used as a base CPAP.  

Since you have these devices at your disposal, I highly recommend that you download OSCAR and, using an SD card, capture your sleep data for analysis.

You can download OSCAR either by clicking on its name anywhere here in this post, or from the link in the black ribbon at the top of every page.

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What size mask i need? i think i'm a mouth breather
Go to a vendor of CPAP masks and download the sizing guide based on the brand and model of interest.  Look at our Supplier List for sites to view.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Philips bipap auto sv advanced..
i need to update this .. sorry

not sure i need a bipap?

So u think i should just use this one i got with my quattro mask right?

its auto right? it adjusts air pressure as needed so no need for sleep study right?

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Steve, the BiPAP Auto SV is a very specialized form of bilevel respiratory assist device. It is intended to treat individuals with central and complex apnea, and is capable of providing pressure support to cause a breath in an individual that has stopped spontaneously breathing. This machine is probably inappropriate for your therapy, except in the fixed CPAP mode.

I would like to figure out which machine you have as the BiPAP Auto SV advance has been through many generations of production. Going back in time, there is a Legacy model, M-Series, System One 50 Series, System One 60 series and finally the current Dreamstation. Both the System One and Dreamstation are fully data capable, while the Legacy and M-Series do not have SD card slots. The model number of a system one is either HS950xx or HS960xx and the Dreamstation is DSX900xx

As I said, the BiPAP Auto SV is a very sophisticated device and serves a specialized need for central apnea patients. As a result it commands a higher price in the used market than a CPAP. I'm confident you can resell this machine and find one more appropriate for your use. You should focus on finding a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, or older Resmed S9 Autoset. In the Philips lineup, you want a System One 60 Series Auto CPAP DS560 or Philips Respironics Dreamstation DSX500.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2020, 07:00 AM)steveairway Wrote: I got a x large Resmed Quattro mask. I never had sleep study or anything but pretty dang sure i got sleep apnea.

how do i know which side mask i need?  i think i need an extra large mask though.

thanks guys

Your profile says you have a (ResMed?) autoSV. Is that right? That could be dangerous if you're self-diagnosing. In particular, there's significantly increased mortality if your heart has a low ejection fraction.

ASV therapy is intended primarily for complex apnea, though you can dumb the PRS1 autoSV down (mostly) to act as a CPAP or bi-level. I'm not entirely sure which ResMed model you have, since "autoSV" is a Respironics name.

How did you settle on a pressure of 10?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2020, 10:45 AM)sawinglogz Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 07:00 AM)steveairway Wrote: I got a x large Resmed Quattro mask. I never had sleep study or anything but pretty dang sure i got sleep apnea.

thanks guys

Your profile says you have a (ResMed?) autoSV. Is that right? That could be dangerous if you're self-diagnosing. In particular, there's significantly increased mortality if your heart has a low ejection fraction.

ASV therapy is intended primarily for complex apnea, though you can dumb the PRS1 autoSV down (mostly) to act as a CPAP or bi-level. I'm not entirely sure which ResMed model you have, since "autoSV" is a Respironics name.

Well years ago was told by the main guy i think that to set pressure to ten is average.i had an s8 auto so i thought it would adjust pressure automatically so no need for sleep study.

should i pay the 230 maybe for that thing on amazon that can test my stuff as i sleep at home?then show results?

(08-12-2020, 10:45 AM)sawinglogz Wrote:

thanks guys

Well years ago was told by the main guy i think that to set pressure to ten is average.i had an s8 auto so i thought it would adjust pressure automatically so no need for sleep study.

should i pay the 230 maybe for that thing on amazon that can test my stuff as i sleep at home?then show results?
Post Reply Post Reply
The first thing to do is to download and install OSCAR, then load your CPAP data into it. Then look at a representative day and create a screenshot (press F12). Then post that here.

We have no idea what's going on with you or your machine settings until we see that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Steve, you keep starting new threads, and all of your questions have been addressed before. Please try to keep this in one thread. I am merging this with your previous thread. Please read the the replies you have received. There are important issues for you to consider.

The best thing you can do is resell this BiPAP Auto SV and get a used Auto CPAP. We will be glad to help you screen what will work best.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 73 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.