Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do I need both sets of ventilation holes?
Do I need both sets of ventilation holes?
Hi

My n30i nose piece has little holes for helping me exhale. There are also holes in the elbow that apparently do the same thing. 
Lately when part of the pillow or blanket is in front of the nose piece, the air coming out makes a hissing sound that wakes my wife.
I'm thinking of covering the holes in the nose piece with sellotape. Will the holes in the elbow suffice, or am I going to cause myself or the machine damage?
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I need both sets of ventilation holes?
To be honest, I don't know the venting specifications for that mask and what portion vents through the mask and the connector. Most masks are designed to vents 4 to 5 times the volume of air respired. If half of the vent capability is through the swivel, then you will certainly increase the fraction for expired air that is re-breathed. It won't damage the machine, but if CO2 is higher, then you will notice an increased tidal volume and minute vent in OSCAR statistics, which may include a higher respiration rate. We do similar modifications with EERS, but install a connector with a known design vent rate of about 30 L/min. Again, without knowing the design, there is not any safe way to advise you in that modification.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For what it’s worth, I think blocking the hose on the nasal cushion is really dangerous. I use that mask myself and can’t see how you would reliably vent your exhalation. With the holes on the cushion blocked the air will vent near the elbow without ever getting close to the nasal cushion.
Post Reply Post Reply
OP, you could try the ResMed N30 nasal mask which is a mask that attaches the hose at the nose. It didn’t work for me but that cushion fits similarly to the N30i and the vented air is much more diffused compared to the N30i.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could also try the P30i nasal pillows which work with the N30i frame. That pillow cushion is also much more diffused than the N30i cushion and you could use your existing frame.
Post Reply Post Reply
most of the masks get a little noisy when the air hits something.   For me the trick was to keep the bedding away from the mask.  The P10 is one of the quiet masks.  The P30i is also quiet.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Altering the venting also alters the therapy delivery design. It is not a recommended procedure and can have severe adverse physiological consequences over time. Like everything in life, your wife will aclimatize to the sound or might consider using an earplug on the side facing the vent. Have a healthy, happy, and prosperous New Year. Shalom.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all!

I guess I'll order the P30i nasal pillows. I assume that if I'm using medium size N30i pillows, I'll also need medium P30i.

Regarding my wife acclimatizing to the noise: she was okay with it for 9 months. Lately it's been bothering her. I think it's because I changed pillows, and now the nose piece comes up against the pillow, which causes the noise. I've been having a lot of trouble finding a pillow that works for me. (I sleep on my side, so the pillow presses against the side of the nose piece.) I got the Contour multi-layer CPAP pillow, tried it for a week but could't use it. Then I tried a large soft pillow, which seems to work for me but is causing the noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only pillow that worked for me as a side-sleeper was a Daiwa buckwheat pillow that is infinitely adjustable and holds its shape as I move.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2020, 02:51 AM)srlevine1 Wrote: The only pillow that worked for me as a side-sleeper was a Daiwa buckwheat pillow that is infinitely adjustable and holds its shape as I move.

Thanks! Do you mean this one?

[Commercial Link Removed] Search Amazon for, Daiwa Felicity Buckwheat

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 211 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Adaptive servo-ventilation unit vs APAP Comfortcomposites 9 567 12-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  COVER YOUR HOLES!!! David Clark 2 766 05-24-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: David Clark
  Reliability of Minute Ventilation Measurement Old Mike 2 474 05-14-2023, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
Question Holes and vents in masks? bbbl67 5 1,063 05-12-2023, 10:02 AM
Last Post: bbbl67
  [Equipment] I will pass mask test on Resmed if I cover the vent holes rgartman 4 1,000 03-04-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: rgartman
  Pressure not increasing much due to the air vent holes being large CorruptAlligator 4 988 12-31-2022, 12:31 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.