Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Do I really need JAVA?
I have a relatively new computer -- 6 months old.
Runs Win 7 Pro 64 bit. I have MSIE 11 and Firefox 33 on it.

To date, I've only run across one website that did work because I have not installed JAVA. I've never been a fan of JAVA. The website that requires JAVA is one I can live without.

Are not other scripting languages more common; with JAVA having fallen out of favor? Any reason to install JAVA? Reasons not to?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-17-2014 03:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
becker44a Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus Lg
CPAP Pressure: Rx 10 - 20cm, Usually 10-14cm
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Do I really need JAVA?
(10-17-2014 03:15 PM)justMongo Wrote:  I have a relatively new computer -- 6 months old.
Runs Win 7 Pro 64 bit. I have MSIE 11 and Firefox 33 on it.

To date, I've only run across one website that did work because I have not installed JAVA. I've never been a fan of JAVA. The website that requires JAVA is one I can live without.

Are not other scripting languages more common; with JAVA having fallen out of favor? Any reason to install JAVA? Reasons not to?

Hi Mongo,
If you can avoid installing Java, I would. Or at least wait until you run into some site you really want to use, that won't operate without it.

I have a client that uses some industry-specific applications that are web and Java-based. There is constant updating of the Java, so it's not stable. One of the applications is only certified with specific Java versions, and another app is similarly specific about the versions it will run with, and the Java versions are not the same for both apps. We have found that installing multiple versions of Java to the same machine is also an issue. Theoretically, Java apps will look for and find the version they need - but it rarely works that way. So anyone who needs to run both applications is out of luck.

In short, I would avoid all that mess if you can. Java is used to create very interactive sites, and there are other ways to do that. Javascript (a scripting engine built into the browsers) and Ajax are often now used for the things that Java was conceived to do.

By the way, Chrome has a heavily optimized Javascript engine, and is the only browser that actually meets the HTML-5 standard - so you might want to think about Chrome for one of your browsers.

A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
10-17-2014 04:52 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)

(10-17-2014 04:52 PM)becker44a Wrote:  Hi Mongo,
If you can avoid installing Java, I would. Or at least wait until you run into some site you really want to use, that won't operate without it.

I have a client that uses some industry-specific applications that are web and Java-based. There is constant updating of the Java, so it's not stable. One of the applications is only certified with specific Java versions, and another app is similarly specific about the versions it will run with, and the Java versions are not the same for both apps. We have found that installing multiple versions of Java to the same machine is also an issue. Theoretically, Java apps will look for and find the version they need - but it rarely works that way. So anyone who needs to run both applications is out of luck.

In short, I would avoid all that mess if you can. Java is used to create very interactive sites, and there are other ways to do that. Javascript (a scripting engine built into the browsers) and Ajax are often now used for the things that Java was conceived to do.

By the way, Chrome has a heavily optimized Javascript engine, and is the only browser that actually meets the HTML-5 standard - so you might want to think about Chrome for one of your browsers.

Becker: Very good info. I had JAVA on my prior machine; and it seemed like it needed a monthly update. And Firefox would often disable JAVA as unsafe.

I've not tried Chrome. Being a Google browser, I wonder if they did the same thing as the Android tablets -- hardcode DNS lookup to 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 which are Google's DNS servers.

Thanks,

Mongo

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-17-2014 05:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
becker44a Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus Lg
CPAP Pressure: Rx 10 - 20cm, Usually 10-14cm

Other Comments:

(10-17-2014 05:21 PM)justMongo Wrote:  I've not tried Chrome. Being a Google browser, I wonder if they did the same thing as the Android tablets -- hardcode DNS lookup to 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 which are Google's DNS servers.

I don't think so. I have occasionally needed to change DNS manually when doing some network tweaking or troubleshooting, and Chrome seems to follow the machine settings rather than using their own.

A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
10-17-2014 05:29 PM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
CPAP Pressure: 11-16

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

It really comes down to, "Do you wish/need/insist-on using sites or programs that require it?"

It's a lot like "scripting" in general for your browser. I run an add-on for Firefox, NoScript, that requires me to EXPLICITLY choose where to enable scripting, leaving it off by default.

NoScript is a nuisance mostly but a nuisance I chose to accept for the additional security and safety.

If you can stand to avoid those sites and programs (or live without the features that Java enables on them) then you don't need Java.

But, I would be a small sum that you will eventually decide to load it.

FYI: I hate Shockwave even more -- one of the worst, buggy, pieces of junk used by a large number of websites. I load it, but only under the duress of necessity to fully use those websites that require it.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
10-17-2014 06:56 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(10-17-2014 06:56 PM)herbm Wrote:  FYI: I hate Shockwave even more -- one of the worst, buggy, pieces of junk used by a large number of websites. I load it, but only under the duress of necessity to fully use those websites that require it.

Oh.. Absolutely. A patch or "upgrade" about once a month.
I would do without it; but one of my banking sites has to use it for one function. And, it's bloatware.

10-17-2014 08:48 PM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
CPAP Pressure: 11-16

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

And another thing:

I just installed Java on a new machine. One of the most sleazy things about it is that it DEFAULTS to changing the search to ASK and adding the ASK Toolbar.

Almost no one wants these crappy changes but the publishers continue tricking people into making them with these defaults.

(Remember to clear these options when you reach this dialog.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
10-18-2014 01:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

(10-18-2014 01:19 PM)herbm Wrote:  And another thing:

I just installed Java on a new machine. One of the most sleazy things about it is that it DEFAULTS to changing the search to ASK and adding the ASK Toolbar.

Almost no one wants these crappy changes but the publishers continue tricking people into making them with these defaults.

(Remember to clear these options when you reach this dialog.)

I agree totally. This type of chicanery really frosts my backside. I let one of these things get by once back some time ago and have been vigilant ever since. I am about to the point of not using any software from a company that does this kind of thing.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
10-18-2014 03:48 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Yes, I see those bundled options on Flash. For the Mozilla plugin it's MacAfee. For MSIE active X, it's Chrome and the Google toolbar.
I always clear those prechecked boxes. And, when I download, I'd rather get the whole enchilada instead of a stub.

10-18-2014 04:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

The other day, Windows did an update. Since then, I keep getting this message that says PowerShell has stopped working. I have never used PowerShell and this just started happening since the update. I can't see where there are any complaints about this and I can't see a patch for it. Any suggestions?
10-19-2014 03:21 PM