Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do I really need Sleep Apnea Test in order to use CPAP machine?
RE: Do I really need Sleep Apnea Test in order to use CPAP machine?
If one starts PAP therapy without having had a sleep study, there is no benchmark from which to measure the improvement the therapy provides. I would forever be curious about whether I was doing any good and if so, how much.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2014, 08:56 PM)Destin Wrote: Thanks for the valuable input Galactus,
Sleep study is expensive, home test is my only option but from what I read,it takes weeks to complete.
I figured if I can get most of the info/help from just using machine itself, then I save time and money.
As far as other machines, what's different or better in BiPAP vs S9 Auto BiLevel ?
or Bi-flex vs BiLevel
Sorry its hard to understand the difference/benefit from just looking at two machines online.
Thanks

(12-18-2014, 08:25 PM)Galactus Wrote: A VPAP is a nice machine if you need it. An Autoset or a BiPAP might have been a better choice. If you had a sleep study you would have a better starting point.
Might I ask why you don't want to get a sleep study?

Destin, just so you get the terminology, for the most part it goes like this;
CPAP = Constant Positive Air Pressure. Standard 1 setting pressure for inhalation and exhalation.
APAP = Auto Positive Air Pressure. The machine adjusts automatically to give you positive airway pressure, between 4 and 20.
BiPAP = Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure. The machine has two settings, one for the inhalation cycle, one for the exhalation cycle.

That's the very basics, on top of that there is Auto Bipap which adjusts the two settings automatically, and Timed PAPs which act as backup ventilators as well in case you should stop breathing, but above are just the basics.

From manufacturer to manufacturer they like to call things by different TM names as in EPR (Exhalation Pressure Relief) vs A/C/Bi Flex (which is basically the same as EPR just a different brand). Same really for BiLevel, BiPAP or VPAP and APAP, many of these are just a brand by brand name which do the same thing. VPAP for Variable, APAP for Auto, etc.

Somewhere on the board there is a "guide to choosing a machine" that gives you a lot of good information, check it out it explains a whole lot, there is much to know. I just tried to give you a brief synopsis.

If I understand you correctly money is a factor on the sleep study. There are quite a few organizations, and hospitals with clinics that will see you for free or next to nothing if you apply and are willing to wait a bit. If you were treating while awaiting a sleep study, and gathering information, and educating yourself some of the replies here might soften up a bit. IMHO, regardless of what you choose to do for your own reasons you should get treated, to that end most of us will help you here regardless (that is of course after we beat you up and tell you to get a sleep study, which I think we did already Smile )
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Archangle for clearing up the VPAP/Central apnea thing.

The bilevel machine enables one to exert a lot of control over the pressure when one exhales to make it easier and/or more comfortable especially at higher therapeutic pressures. Philips Respironics created the trade name "BiPAP" for their bilevel machine so Resmed had to use something different and it became VPAP. The VPAP S and VPAP Auto are standard bilevel machines. The VPAP T, VPAP ST, and VPAP Adapt are bilevel machines intended for the treatment of central or mixed apneas.

The S9 VPAP Auto that you purchased is a very good machine and can be made to operate like any of the other machines except for machines that provide ventilation either as a backup or primary function. Depending on what you end up with as a diagnosis, it might have been more expensive than necessary. If your problem is central apnea, then it may have been a total waste of money.

With all of that said, the best thing to do is to get a sleep study done so you know which way you need to go.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone, thank you so much for all the additional info. I appreciate your patience in taking time and effort to explain and answer my questions. This is great forum and you are such a good people!
Let me confess.. although I was close to returning my S9 after what I initially heard from most members.. I also learned that it will not hurt if I try it. So I did.
Today is my 2nd day.
I did not change anything on the machine default setting and went with it.
Long story short, I feel great!
Today and the morning before.
1st night I got full 6 hours of sleep and oh boy, what a difference!
I felt totally,100% better then previous days or months.
Wife said I did not snore at all and for the rest of the day I was fresh even despite the rainy day which usually ( low barometric pressure) I feel more sleepy. Not this time Big Grin
Today , day2 and same as yesterday, 7h of sleep, feeling very awake and ready to go.
Hi everyone this, I could sleep 8-12 hours and still fell crappy.
Have not done the sleep test yet.
Machine indicates: AHI @ 2.2 yesterday and 3.1 after last night.
I understand that this has not meaning as far as how sick I maybe, I intend to take home sleep test at some point.
It appears you still need prescription to get one so visiting a doctor is unavoidable.
Anyone from Destin FL area and know good sleep doctor I can trust?
thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure if it anyone can read from the attachment, here is Review Statistic after 1st day.

Post Reply Post Reply
Id still get the home study but from what I can tell the machine isnt hurting you and if you feel great it no snores etc, appears to be helping you.
The CA index isnt any more than i do on night once in a while I know from being wired up at the sleep lab that I dont have Central apnea.

I may get spanked for saying this but a person watching you sleep can tell if your making effort to breath and cant "Obstructive"
vs just laying there not breathing and making no effort to breathe. Not a brain wave pattern for sure but a pretty good indicator.

Still though Id get the home study as soon as I could.
Post Reply Post Reply
Again, no expert here, but obviously the unit believes you are having incidents as the pressure is raising. This doesn't mean you don't have other issues, or that you shouldn't get a sleep study because you should, but you know that so I'll stop saying it now. And say this;

The machine believes you have apnea, and I think you and your wife do as well, and it's pretty obvious you do.

If you want an idea of how bad it is you could set that machine to straight CPAP at 4. That will stop it from reacting and it will score you based on a fixed pressure of 4, still it will be helping you but not like it could or like it is now, but it will confirm you have apnea and even at 4 based on the results that pressure will not treat you so you will see a bad AHI score and tell you what you want to hear, and what you already know.

If you are trying to treat yourself prior to the sleep study than I would suggest recording a weeks worth of data viewing the results and then adjusting to see where you're at and posting the data so we can help.

I won't say it again, but do it, please, just to be sure you cover your bases.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
For all the sleep study advocates, I had a sleep study that confirmed I had OSA but I did not tolerate the study (didn't sleep) and was prescribed an Auto titrating CPAP. The machine did the titration, just as Destin's has done. With the support of another forum, I learned to read and interpret the data and narrow the range of pressure to optimally treat my problem.

Destin, good for you getting this far. Your data do show the machine is working in auto mode to treat apnea events, and you are being treated at inhalation pressure ranging from 7 to 14.5 cmH2O, and have an exhale pressure relieve of 4 cmH2O. It looks like you could have been treated with an Autoset machine, but this seems to be working fine...especially if you feel good. Keep going and I'm sure you'll get lots of support here as you post results of data. If you have questions of what that data is showing you, ask. Looks like you're doing great.

The thing that surprised me most is that you were able to buy this on Amazon without a prescription. Most sales of machines on Ebay and Amazon have been taken down.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
so, have you noticed any dreaming? I am betting that you are (whether you remember them or not) based on (1) your respiration rate raising that high combined with (2) having so few hypopnea and apnea.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I knew i had sleep apnea, no idea what kind or pressure id need. I bought a slightly used cpap, saw most people were in the 10psi range and tried it. took me maybe 3-4 weeks and ended up at 14psi. based on how i felt in the morning after sleeping with it. after my sleep study the doc tells me i need 14psi LOL

so he prescribed me a unit etc....thats now my second/travel unit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 86 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 226 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 85 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 349 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 287 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.