Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do I really need this?
RE: Do I really need this?
Thanks for the explanation on leakage, Paula. Sleepster, I think I will do that, ask for a report.

Meanwhile I have discovered that my sleepDoc changed the parameters. I had been waking from too much pressure so apparently he set the pressure to a steady 11 instead of variable. It starts at 7 during the falling asleep level then moves up to 11. I think I liked it better when it was variable, though it may just need some getting used to.

I wanted to go into the settings, but can't get into them. It's like I'm locked out. The only options available in settings are mask type and checking for mask leakage, nothing to set up the machine itself - yet I watched him go into it and change it. Is there something special that needs to be clicked on to get into settings? I've tried different buttons, even pressing more than one at a time, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get in.

Maybe it's because the machine is rented instead of owned, though I should still be able to adjust it myself instead of having to make an appointment each time. The technicians are only in my area once a week, on Fridays, and the sleep Doc doesn't see patients for adjustments, only for interpretations. (and adjustments if needed at the time of interpretation). I'll give these settings a try until I can see the tech guy, but I really would like to adjust them on my own.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2012, 12:10 AM)allwaysjudee Wrote: I wanted to go into the settings, but can't get into them. It's like I'm locked out. The only options available in settings are mask type and checking for mask leakage, nothing to set up the machine itself - yet I watched him go into it and change it. Is there something special that needs to be clicked on to get into settings? I've tried different buttons, even pressing more than one at a time, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get in.

Look at the instructions here to get into the clinician's menu:

http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

If you screw up your settings, you can make your therapy ineffective, so be careful.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you archangle, and I plan to be careful. For now I just want to reset it to turn on and off by button - the sleepDoc set it to turn on automatically as soon as I start breathing into it. Nothing wrong with that, but I just prefer to start it myself. I don't plan to make any other adjustments on my own until/unless I understand it fully, and will have more discussions with my doctor about it too.
Post Reply Post Reply
As if living with this is better, lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
Judee, I'm really impressed about how open you've been to the advice and criticism you've received. The criticism was constructive and you've accepted it as such. I know I frequently get defensive when I hear things I don't want to know. I'm also impressed that you are taking charge of your treatment! Great work!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Judee, I'm chiming in to talk about your mask issue. I also have a full face mask, the AirFit F10 - it's one of those without a forehead arm and strap. I have not had difficulty sleeping on my side with it (my favorite way to sleep). You mentioned that your pillow pushes it out of place. A couple of things you might try to alleviate that:

1. I use a tempurpedic pillow (high end memory foam)... it allows for lumps and bumps in your profile, including the mask. I also find it good for "fixing" a leak if I lean hard into the pillow.

2. It will help if you sleep toward the edge of your pillow where your mask can hover just over the edge. That's where I usually start the night, but I often find myself somewhere in the middle of the pillow later in the night or in the morning when I wake.

3. Mask liners will often make your mask more comfortable and they do help with leaks. You can find them by googling "cpap mask liners". Some will be available from your DME, others from online sources. It wasn't until I learned about liners and started using them that I was able to sleep through the night without constantly waking to reposition the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nightflight, trust us, once you find the right setup, you will know that it is worth every bit of frustration to get better rest and start feeling better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Something most people don't realize is that a Oximeter takes a reading of gases in your blood. It can not distinguish between O2 or Co2, or any other gas your blood has picked up through your lungs. .. readings after smoking will give you false O2 readings that will usually be in the upper range of the 90's when true O2 readings may be much lower.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2014, 03:09 PM)Whitewabit Wrote: Something most people don't realize is that a Oximeter takes a reading of gases in your blood. It can not distinguish between O2 or Co2, or any other gas your blood has picked up through your lungs. .. readings after smoking will give you false O2 readings that will usually be in the upper range of the 90's when true O2 readings may be much lower.

Not true. CO2, carbon DI oxide has little effect on the readings of a pulseox. However, CO, carbon MON oxide, will bind to the hemoglobin and change the readings. This can be a problem with severe CO poisoning, but I doubt cigarette smoking affects enough of the hemoglobin to affect the readings that much.

A pulseox detects the color change in the hemoglobin in your blood when it binds to oxygen. CO will also bind to hemoglobin and cause this color change. Most gasses other than O2 and CO will have little effect on the readings, because they don't bind to hemoglobin. For instance, nitrogen doesn't affect the readings.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.