Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do Insurance Companies Use OSA to Jack Up Rates?
Do Insurance Companies Use OSA to Jack Up Rates?
Has anyone tried to get term life insurance with sleep apnea?  I went thru a roto-rooter of my past medical history a few years ago, and never got the coverage because they doubled the rates after I said I had gestational diabetes for the first of my two pregnancies. (I did not have it for my second, nor do I now).  I got so mad at the absurdity. 

Should I even bother applying?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do Insurance Companies Use OSA to Jack Up Rates?
Life insurance will schedule a higher rate for any risk factor, even if it is not a condition you currently have. I was scheduled higher risk because I asked my doctor about a liver enzyme test I had in my 30s for which I was unsure of the results. That question was enough to increase my rates, even though my tests came back normal. I learned not to ever discuss anything with the doctor you don't want to end up in some insurance company files.

Your need for insurance is really dependent on who is depending on you. People with young children have the most obvious need. Life insurance becomes less important as you become vested in retirement plans, savings and investments and can provide post-life planning for your loved ones. The nightmare scenario is an injury, stroke or chronic illness that leaves you disabled and in need of long-term care. Life insurance does not pay out if you're still alive, but once a person is in this situation, their assets are required to be depleted before Medicare/Medicaid assumes any responsibility. This can leave you and your loved ones without savings, assets, employment income etc. In my opinion, a better investment than life insurance, is to discuss your financial planning with an attorney, including a will and living will. Understanding strategies to shelter assets and protect yourself and your loved ones against financial ruin, is IMO more important than insuring against sudden death. With long-term care, the life insurance you bought to protect your loved ones, becomes just another asset that can be seized to pay your medical bills, and insurance companies will cancel a term life policy by any means possible if you are affected by a significant change in health.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do Insurance Companies Use OSA to Jack Up Rates?
Not sure about life insurance, but some years back I was rejected entirely for health insurance simply on account of it. In writing.

Tim
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supplier and Insurance issues DudleyDoRight 0 53 Yesterday, 04:36 PM
Last Post: DudleyDoRight
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 301 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 215 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Picked up ResMed 10 today, concerned about ability to reset flow rates NewlyDiagnosed 10 237 04-08-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,674 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 316 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 306 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.