Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do NOT trust your DME - my story
RE: Do NOT trust your DME - my story
Yelp.
Google.
BBB.
Their FB page.
Angie's list.
LinkedIn.

If they are corporate, complain. If they are local, go over his head. If there is a local sleep apnea support group, talk to them. They may have another you can go to for supplies. (which reminds me, get a copy of all your paperwork with them, including the prescription and their copy of the sleep study)
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2017, 08:20 PM)CZOscar Wrote: I’ve been mulling over how to respond in a public manner.  I gave him 3 times to correct/change the machine and had demonstrated I wasn’t totally ignorant but he blew it.  When I called and gave him the exact hours on the machine he immediately said it must have been a mix up (haha) and he would bring me a new one ASAP.  He knew.  The staff called me asking if everything was ok.

I did not react, no blame, no incriminations, they owe me.

But I don’t want anyone who isn’t a member here to get screwed.

I was thinking review instead of BBB.

The DME is National I think with two facilities in my area.

Thanks all.

DME is AeroCare.

He may be the only DME in the group that has done this so it's good if you could be be more specific. Address and location so others can avoid this specific DME. Also,mif he is part of a national or state chian then report him to the overarching body. It's their reputation that he's ruining.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 03:31 AM)holden4th Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 08:20 PM)CZOscar Wrote: I’ve been mulling over how to respond in a public manner.  I gave him 3 times to correct/change the machine and had demonstrated I wasn’t totally ignorant but he blew it.  When I called and gave him the exact hours on the machine he immediately said it must have been a mix up (haha) and he would bring me a new one ASAP.  He knew.  The staff called me asking if everything was ok.

I did not react, no blame, no incriminations, they owe me.

But I don’t want anyone who isn’t a member here to get screwed.

I was thinking review instead of BBB.

The DME is National I think with two facilities in my area.

Thanks all.

DME is AeroCare.

He may be the only DME in the group that has done this so it's good if you could be be more specific. Address and location so others can avoid this specific DME. Also,mif he is part of a national or state chian then report him to the overarching body. It's their reputation that he's ruining.

AeroCare 
304 Acker St.
Sanger, Texas
Post Reply Post Reply
Goodness, and I thought I had problems!
While I could see my machine was new, it took six visits in total to get the humidifier and heated air hose which made the treatment tolerable if worthless.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am planning to report my DME to my state's Senior Services Fraud Division. My state is very persnickety when it comes to seniors getting ripped off.    Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
maybe should start a name and shame thread
name the DME with address and phone numbers
shame with description of how they tried to be dishonest/unethical

get enough perhaps would be enough to get a lot of google hits, thus change the DME for the better, or drive them out of business.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the Resmed machine, the therapy hours are only for the last 30 days. Are the other brands different? When I speak with the DME, I talk about therapy hours and machine hours and how they are not the same. It may help in your discussions, particularly when you complain.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 03:42 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: On the Resmed machine, the therapy hours are only for the last 30 days.  Are the other brands different?  When I speak with the DME, I talk about therapy hours and machine hours and how they are not the same. It may help in your discussions, particularly when you complain.

The DME tried to get me to believe that the user hours (which they'd set to 0 so you'd assume the equipment was new) corresponded to the hours the machine had been used.

They are not at all the same.

I believe the therapy hours reflect the hours and data that belongs to you and the machine stores. The DME uses this data to monitor compliance. It can be viewed in several different time increments, including 30 days.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 11:24 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I am planning to report my DME to my state's Senior Services Fraud Division. My state is very persnickety when it comes to seniors getting ripped off.    Big Grin

The very best of luck reporting your DME.

We  run a different system here, you can be treated with incompetence, ignored, abused, and more, but as we don't actually pay in the form of cash for treatment, it is not really possible to say you are being ripped off as you would be in the case of fraud.

Worst for seniors both physically, mentally, and financially is in what we call care homes, where you need looking after but not requiring serious nursing. The rules over who pays what are complicated and hence open to malpractice and worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2017, 09:07 AM)Phill Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 11:24 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I am planning to report my DME to my state's Senior Services Fraud Division. My state is very persnickety when it comes to seniors getting ripped off.    Big Grin

The very best of luck reporting your DME.

We  run a different system here, you can be treated with incompetence, ignored, abused, and more, but as we don't actually pay in the form of cash for treatment, it is not really possible to say you are being ripped off as you would be in the case of fraud.

Worst for seniors both physically, mentally, and financially is in what we call care homes, where you need looking after but not requiring serious nursing. The rules over who pays what are complicated and hence open to malpractice and worse.

My state has special government services to advocate for seniors, including dedicated legal assistance.

Plus, just being able to threaten state intervention is very satisfying, and believe me when I say that businesses enthusiastically do the right thing if they are at risk of a phone call from the state. 

Seniors are the vast majority of a DME’s business.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chronic's Story chronic 19 829 04-16-2024, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 631,496 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Long story short chronic 5 426 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,136 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question [Equipment] BEFORE YOU TRUST ANY COMMERCIAL NON-FDA DEVICE srlevine1 0 340 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 953 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,143 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.