Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do Sleep Doctors...
RE: Do Sleep Doctors...
(01-03-2017, 01:40 PM)OpalRose Wrote: I have my yearly visit next month. I just play along so that my Script will be renewed. It seems my DME wants a new one every year. They said it's now required by Medicare.

Yes, checked this and that is apparently how the DME is interpreting this. See: Replacement of Accessories used with a Beneficiary-Owned Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Device or a Respiratory Assist Device (RAD) Purchased by Medicare at the link below.
2017 Medicare DME Rules

BTW, if you look carefully at these rules, if you've already had an xpap device, you do not need all sorts of other documentation for supplies ONLY. So, technically, you should be able to go to any Medicare DME just with your prescription and get your order...naw...it's not that easy, but we can dream!
Post Reply Post Reply
This topic I think is a microcosm of the way a lot of things in life work. There are very knowledgeable and expert people available on most issues and then some not so good and some downright poor folks. You have to do your homework to find and get to the first tier folks. Some of us are lucky in that we live in areas with outstanding physicians and teaching hospitals as I do in the Seattle area. Others are not. This board offers a great service to supplement what we can't find on our own or just don't want to waste our time with doing things we can do for ourselves.

Proof that there are many good sleep medicine doctors can be found by going through the speaker list at this conference:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Conference
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2017, 03:38 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: BTW, if you look carefully at these rules, if you've already had an xpap device, you do not need all sorts of other documentation for supplies ONLY. So, technically, you should be able to go to any Medicare DME just with your prescription and get your order...naw...it's not that easy, but we can dream!

Yes, I agree with you on that. I shouldn't need a new script every year just for supplies. Oh-jeez
I think that DMEs are just covering their butt in case they are audited. Can't blame them.
I do buy some things online though, less hassle.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2017, 03:56 PM)sonicboom Wrote: This topic I think is a microcosm of the way a lot of things in life work. There are very knowledgeable and expert people available on most issues and then some not so good and some downright poor folks. You have to do your homework to find and get to the first tier folks. Some of us are lucky in that we live in areas with outstanding physicians and teaching hospitals as I do in the Seattle area. Others are not. This board offers a great service to supplement what we can't find on our own or just don't want to waste our time with doing things we can do for ourselves.\

I agree, but what I DO NOT get is why ANY sleep doctor would not look at the results of the wave forms from the machine instead of just AHI? To me, this is a doc who is not upgrading his skills as new medical recording becomes available. How can you possibly maximize your patient's therapy without looking at that data? While I agree, "how do you feel" is a good marker, how would you know what to fix if the answer is "terrible?" Oh yeah, another $2,000 sleep study. . . .
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doc feels that the data from the machine has zero credibility. He absolutely does not trust it to be accurate enough to be worth looking at.

I have no idea if he is right or wrong. I have never been in a position to compare the machine recorded data to PSG results. Certainly, much of what we rely on in SH is in extrapolation or assumption based on air flow and pressure alone. We rely on it as it is all that we have. If I were a doctor, I don't think I would put much weight on it either. Probably the best to be expected is that it would cause him to order a new PSG.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the machine data or flow and pressure is very accurate and much easier to read than PSG data. The one area of data that is missing from machine data that is of real use is the EEG data that shows sleep states. i guess leg movements would be of interest to some. My sleep techs still had a great deal of difficulty interpreting the combination of flow from the nasal thermistor combined with the belt data. PSGs are using some very old technology.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2017, 06:37 PM)chill Wrote: My sleep doc feels that the data from the machine has zero credibility. He absolutely does not trust it to be accurate enough to be worth looking at.

I have no idea if he is right or wrong. I have never been in a position to compare the machine recorded data to PSG results. Certainly, much of what we rely on in SH is in extrapolation or assumption based on air flow and pressure alone. We rely on it as it is all that we have. If I were a doctor, I don't think I would put much weight on it either. Probably the best to be expected is that it would cause him to order a new PSG.

The accuracy of the machines has been studied and I think reported on here by me and others in the past. I will try and look for that research post and post the link again.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Chill and all:

see post #28 in this thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid129214
Coffee

Happy Pappin'

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2017, 05:41 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:
(01-03-2017, 03:56 PM)sonicboom Wrote: This topic I think is a microcosm of the way a lot of things in life work. There are very knowledgeable and expert people available on most issues and then some not so good and some downright poor folks. You have to do your homework to find and get to the first tier folks. Some of us are lucky in that we live in areas with outstanding physicians and teaching hospitals as I do in the Seattle area. Others are not. This board offers a great service to supplement what we can't find on our own or just don't want to waste our time with doing things we can do for ourselves.\

I agree, but what I DO NOT get is why ANY sleep doctor would not look at the results of the wave forms from the machine instead of just AHI? To me, this is a doc who is not upgrading his skills as new medical recording becomes available. How can you possibly maximize your patient's therapy without looking at that data? While I agree, "how do you feel" is a good marker, how would you know what to fix if the answer is "terrible?" Oh yeah, another $2,000 sleep study. . . .

Great point. Lousy doctor.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep doctor is a nice guy but almost useless. Primary care doctor is great. He is not a sleep doctor so when I talk to him about what I want he hands me his script pad and tells me to write it up. He just says that he does not know what to write. He signs it and off I go.

He will ask later how it is working and look at the outcome. I do not know how to judge him. Is he trusting me? or with all of the other problems is he just making me feel good?

Without this forum I would be lost in the system and not had the better outcomes. I never expected to see the new year.

To all of you that share yourselves Thanks

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 694 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Sleep Doctors Eatapeach 2 439 08-28-2023, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep doctors giving conflicting advice Morgannon 8 825 02-10-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.