Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do Sleep Med's effect sleep study data?
Do Sleep Med's effect sleep study data?
I saw somewere on the board here that Sleep Med's might Skew a Sleep Studies Data. Anyone's input would be helpful as I am going to be having a 3rd study done well an ASV Tritration unsure if that is also a sleep study,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do Sleep Med's effect sleep study data?
When I did my sleep study, I took ambien to help me sleep. I'm on Tylenol pm right now, and my RT said I could use sleep aids if I wanted to. Nobody said anything to me about it skewing results, but you should probably ask.
Post Reply Post Reply
As one who has seen several sleep doctors, none of them expressed concern that meds would effect the sleep study data. Obviously, your milage will vary.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2016, 08:12 AM)metsfan302 Wrote: I saw somewere on the board here that Sleep Med's might Skew a Sleep Studies Data. Anyone's input would be helpful as I am going to be having a 3rd study done well an ASV Tritration unsure if that is also a sleep study,

metsfan,

As an FYI, when a former sleep doc proposed an ASV titration (long story), it was my understanding that this would have taken the whole night as the sleep tech said it takes quite a while to find the right settings. So you might want to look into that.

Best of luck as you are so due for some good fortune.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2016, 08:12 AM)metsfan302 Wrote: I saw somewere on the board here that Sleep Med's might Skew a Sleep Studies Data. Anyone's input would be helpful as I am going to be having a 3rd study done well an ASV Tritration unsure if that is also a sleep study,

It can skew it, but a lot depends on what your prior diagnosis was. Some docs fuss about it, others argue that if you don't sleep, they don't get the data and the lab test was a waste. I suspect, but am not sure, whether Medicare will accept your diagnosis and cover a machine if you barely qualify and were taking sleeping aids during the test. I'm one of those barely qualified people - even though I had a lot of RERAs, the Medicare requirement was an AHI of 5 or more and mine was 5. However, I had an additional medical issue that would have qualified me, but most don't have that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi metsfan302.

There are some studies that have shown a reduction in Central Apneas and Periodic Breathing episodes when taking sleep meds such as Ambien. Getting a few hours of sleep is important for validating a sleep study so if you regularly take sleep meds you should continue. A titration is a combination of a sleep study and a test of the machine you are going to use to find the best settings. Stay in touch. An ASV machine is prescribed for Central Sleep Apnea, Periodic Breathing and or a combination of these and Obstructive Apnea. Many people on this Board use ASV machines. Lots of advice available.

RichB
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Well, if you don't sleep at all during the study then it will be for nothing.

If you are on the borderline a sleeping pill might skew you into another diagnostic level but chances are it won't. If you are diagnosed as moderate or severe with a pill you can be sure you have it even if you did take a pill.

If it's a choice between no sleep and therefore no diagnosis versus a pill and a proper diagnosis I know what I'd go for.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I asked the same question of my sleep clinic before I had my study, and they encouraged me to take all the sleep meds I wanted, which I found vaguely suspicious. I've always been somewhat ambivalent about sleep medicine, in that I think it can be used virtuously to improve people's lives, yet the cynic in me believes it is also big business in which the more people they get in their doors and the more diagnoses they give, the more money they ultimately make.

To answer your question directly, I don't think a little Tylenol PM will sway the results much, if at all, and will most likely help you get through the experience with more sleep and thus more usable data. After all, Tylenol PM is simply Tylenol with a mild antihistamine added (i.e. diphenhydramine - "Benadryl"). Now if you're talking harder stuff like benzodiazepines such as Xanax or Valium, or opiates such as Vicodin or Oxycontin, those most definitely WILL sway the results. I'm unsure if Ambien or Lunesta do and have heard of some sleep labs giving that stuff out.
Post Reply Post Reply
They made a huge difference in my first round of sleep studies a few years back. After a whole night in the lab wth ZERO minutes sleep I convinced the Dr. to write a script for Ambien. Second round a couple weeks later in with the sleep med went fine with no problem.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
All I know is that taking Benadryl before bed consistently lowers my overnight AHI noticeably while I'm on CPAP. Same with any of the other over-the-counter sleep aids that contain the antihistamine diphenhydramine hydrochloride.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 99 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 73 1,687 Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 63 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.