Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do any doctors care about the data on my auto cpap
Do any doctors care about the data on my auto cpap
I was wondering if any doctors care about the detailed info on the card in a cpap other than compliance? My doctor could care less about the AHI or anything else on my data card other than compliance if my machine wasn't paid for yet by insurance. I think he doesn't think the machine is accurate at all. I don't care what he thinks I find it useful and it keeps me involved with my treatment. I think he should care. It can tell him that it is working for me or not. If it wasn't for that data I may think it is working but it may not be. So then I guess you make an appointment and say hey I don't feel any better why do you suppose that is? Then my doctor might jump at the chance to send me to the sleep lab again for another $2,000 dollar charge for a follow up. Maybe this is why they don't like using the data on the card?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do any doctors care about the data on my auto cpap
You hit the nail on the head

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that to be a true statement. My doctor doesn't read the data. She only looked at the compliant summary the first month. Otherwise, "see you at the follow up in 6 moths." I happen to think the only reason she wanted me to send her my monthly summaries is because she knew I could produce them after showing her the SH graphs. Not the SH graphs mind you... the summary from ResScan.

Basically this:

[Image: monthlycpapsummary.PNG]

As long as you're compliant (summary data) and the RT or DME keeps getting paid, you're 'on your own' to help yourself.

Happy Father's Day.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
My Sleep Doctor/Pulmonologist told me he couldn't get information off my SD card.Crazy He didn't even ask what my AHI was! Then I handed him a printout summary of sleepyhead and he barely looked at it. His finger landed on the line that shows compliance, then he said that was good.

I pointed out to him how I tweeted my pressure settings from the 4-20 that he started me with to a narrower range, and how my AHI dropped significantly, and he said it was rare to have an AHI reading of 1 or under. Huhsign

The DME never calls me or asks for my SD card. My insurance doesn't seem to care, they just keep paying.

Your hit the "Nail on the Head" AlanE; you're on your own! Well, except for this Forum! Thanks
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2015, 08:08 AM)OpalRose Wrote: AlanE; you're on your own! Well, except for this Forum!

Yes, that is true. This forum is awesome and I spend entirely too much time here. Smile

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, thanks for all the comments. I wanted to think that my doctor was the only one and most would be happy to see that it is working and things look good. I do recall one thread that a person mentioned that they showed the SH graphs to their doctor and their doctor was impressed by the info. That physician asked him to keep bringing them. I just can't understand why the manufacturers of these machines would go through the trouble and expense to make a smart machine when the doctors don't seem to care. I like the idea because I want to know how well it is working for me and I don't want to pay for another lab test to find out if my cpap is working for me or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2015, 11:50 PM)Adoniscmj Wrote: I was wondering if any doctors care about the detailed info on the card in a cpap other than compliance? My doctor could care less about the AHI or anything else on my data card other than compliance if my machine wasn't paid for yet by insurance. I think he doesn't think the machine is accurate at all. I don't care what he thinks I find it useful and it keeps me involved with my treatment. I think he should care. It can tell him that it is working for me or not. If it wasn't for that data I may think it is working but it may not be. So then I guess you make an appointment and say hey I don't feel any better why do you suppose that is? Then my doctor might jump at the chance to send me to the sleep lab again for another $2,000 dollar charge for a follow up. Maybe this is why they don't like using the data on the card?

The last time I saw the doctor he didn't even pull the summary data that is sent to him every day. He looked in my sinuses, my throat, lamented again that I didn't want to spend $2500 out of pocket to have my palate burned into submission and said he'd see me in a year.

When he got me the machine in Feb, he left it at 4-20 apap. I've since raised it to 9.6 starting (left the top at 20 though I don't really need it that high. 15 would probably do it.

As afraid as I was to do this, no one has ever said a thing to me about it. I'm like OK I'm a doctor now WHOOO HOOOO.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2015, 11:20 AM)Adoniscmj Wrote: Hey, thanks for all the comments. I wanted to think that my doctor was the only one and most would be happy to see that it is working and things look good. I do recall one thread that a person mentioned that they showed the SH graphs to their doctor and their doctor was impressed by the info. That physician asked him to keep bringing them. I just can't understand why the manufacturers of these machines would go through the trouble and expense to make a smart machine when the doctors don't seem to care. I like the idea because I want to know how well it is working for me and I don't want to pay for another lab test to find out if my cpap is working for me or not.

That was me I believe and was my PCP, Dr. B, and not a sleep doc.
He also wrote me a new machine specific Rx.
He became an ME before adding MD so his perhaps his interest is more understandable.
Not gonna say who he is or everyone in Cincinnasty will clog his schedule Big Grin
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
perhaps it was you not sure, but the fact is if you have a doctor that is interested in the SH data I believe you have a good doctor. I wish my doctor was at least a little interested in my data other than compliance. Not to say that my doctor is bad he may just not be very progressive.
Post Reply Post Reply
The old adage is applicable here, "The world doesn't want to see your sore thumb, it wants to show you its sore thumb". You are the first responder and the person most interested when it comes to your health care. You have to press others to get them interested. Be forceful and insist on getting an opinion on your data. If the doctor still doesn't look at it with interest, consider replacing him/her with someone more attentive. Keep in mind that your doctor probably doesn't have sleep apnea and you may have to educate him/her as to the value of the data you have mined.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [CPAP] New to cpap! Just wondering if my data looks ok so far wwjkcd 1 166 03-08-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [CPAP] Need help with low pulse ox data/CPAP data Dan E 5 403 02-05-2024, 03:41 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New CPAP user - OSCAR Data Bourgi 7 674 02-04-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Bourgi
  [Pressure] Fairly new to CPAP, need help interpreting OSCAR data Maverick3u3 5 300 02-04-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Maverick3u3
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 404 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.