Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do any of you take aspirin at night?
Do any of you take aspirin at night?
I am just wondering if your doctor told you to take an aspirin at night with a glass of water? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do any of you take aspirin at night?
I assume between 70 & 100 mg to prevent heart attack and stroke? Here we recommend it for the morning, but there is nothing to say don't take it at night, just don't mix it with other medicines, particularly blood pressure medicines and certain anti-depressives. And don't take it with grapefruit juice. The biggest reason we say morning is that generally you can then take it with your breakfast, and that means other things are going in and lining your stomach, which helps to prevent bleeding and the like, or even just an upset tummy.

In Switzerland, we recommend that you take your aspiring separately from other medications, and at best at least an hour before them, to prevent interactions, but that is perhaps being over cautious. Certainly I do not think taking a cardio portion of aspirin at night is in anyway harmful. I might question a 250 to 500 mg dosage every night before bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I take a buffered 81 mg aspirin at night along with my BP meds and a statin. I have asked my cardiologist and my pharmacists about taking them together and have been told it is not an issue. Been told by all involved that statins are best taken at night and never to have any grapefruit products within 4 hours. BTW, I have been taking this combo for roughly 15 years without any apparent ill effects (other than getting older and better looking)
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2013, 12:35 PM)psimpson130 Wrote: BTW, I have been taking this combo for roughly 15 years without any apparent ill effects (other than getting older and better looking)

Same here, and I have the same problem as psimpson, my vision is going.Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
There has been several recent studies that show that cardio aspirin lessens the effectiveness of certain blood pressure medicins when taken together, and it behaves very much like grapefruit juice, in that sense, hence we have new guidelines here about when to take the cardio aspirin.

However, each country has their own standards and practices, and so the US will not be the same as here in that respect. Nonetheless, we have chosen to err on the side of caution here given the new data. Standard practice here is also to space out the taking of BP meds and statins. We are far more cautious about interactions here than in the US, but I must stress that that is a decision that is mandated from above, as it is in the US, and is based on what each country considers acceptable practice and acceptable risk, often differing because the pace of the decision making does not keep up the pace of the new data coming in.

In addition, the US does not accept studies from other countries in policy making decisions and will commission their own studies if there is compelling evidence from other countries. I heartily approve of this, we also don't accept sole studies from the US right off, and the reason I approve is that often new studies will either falsify or add further new data to the previous studies, and that time is a necessary precaution in making the right policy. Also, drugs aren't universal, and our pharmacopoeia is different from the US, so interactions will also be different. Mind you , aspirin is aspirin wherever you are. BTW, standard dosages for cardio aspirin vary also from country to country, and that too can affect the rules for taking them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2013, 12:35 PM)psimpson130 Wrote: I take a buffered 81 mg aspirin at night along with my BP meds and a statin. I have asked my cardiologist and my pharmacists about taking them together and have been told it is not an issue. Been told by all involved that statins are best taken at night and never to have any grapefruit products within 4 hours. BTW, I have been taking this combo for roughly 15 years without any apparent ill effects (other than getting older and better looking)

lol!! love your attitude!! :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/m/m...i_EqPnn_IU

Note: The Ads that appear
on this page are under the
control of Google Ads,
not TruthOrFiction.com,
which is a non-partisan site.

Mayo Clinic Cardiologist Suggestions for Treating and Preventing Heart Attacks-Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor:
This is a forwarded email that contains an article said to be by Mayo Clinic Cardiologist Dr. Virend Somers with information about heart attacks and suggests taking aspirin at night as a preventative measure. The article goes on to suggest that if you are having a heart attack, take two aspirins and do not lie down.

The Truth:
The Mayo Clinic posted a statement on their website saying, "Neither Dr. Somers nor Mayo Clinic contributed to this email, which contains some information that is inaccurate and potentially harmful." Click for statement.

Lee Aase, Manager of Syndication and Social Media for the Mayo Clinic offered further explanation as to the inaccuracies in the eRumor. Aase wrote, "Aspirin is indeed appropriate for a heart attack but as with any medication, treatment needs to be individualized for each patient. There is no evidence to support potentially harmful recommendations such as not to lie down if you are having a heart attack."

Aase also said that the Mayo Clinic does not recommend obtaining medical advice from forwarded emails and suggested primary care physicians be contacted for proper treatment.

updated 05/08/10

A real example of the eRumor as it has appeared on the Internet:
Subject: From the Mayo Clinic - Aspirin - not a joke

Dr. Virend Somers, a cardiologist from the Mayo Clinic who is lead author of the report in the July 29, 2008 issue of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
Most heart attacks occur in the day, generally between 6 A.M. and noon, Somers said. Having one during the night, when the heart should be most at rest, means that something unusual happened. Somers and his colleagues have been working for a decade to show that sleep apnea is to blame.

1. If you take an aspirin or a baby aspirin once a day, take it at night. The reason: aspirin has a 24-hour "half-life". therefore, if most heart attacks happen in the wee hours of the morning, the aspirin would be strongest in your system.

2. FYI, aspirin lasts a really long time in your medicine chest for years. (when it gets old, it smells like vinegar.) please read on.

Something that we can do to help ourselves - nice to know.

Bayer is making crystal aspirin to dissolve instantly on the tongue. They work much faster than the tablets.

Why keep aspirin by your bedside?

About Heart Attacks

There are other symptoms of an heart attack besides the pain on the left arm. One must also be aware of an intense pain on the chin, as well as nausea and lots of sweating, however these symptoms may also occur less frequently. Note: There may be NO pain in the chest during a heart attack. The majority of people (about 60%) who had a heart attack during their sleep, did not wake up. However, if it occurs, the chest pain may wake you up from your deep sleep.

If that happens, immediately dissolve two aspirins in your mouth and swallow them with a bit of water. Afterwards: -call 911 - phone a neighbor or a family member who lives very close by -say "heart attack!" -say that you have taken 2 aspirins. - take a seat on a chair or sofa near the front door, and wait for their arrival and... ~do NOT lie down~

A Cardiologist has stated that, if each person, after receiving this e-mail, sends it to 10 people, probably one life can be saved!

I have already shared the information- - What about you?

Do forward this message; it may save lives!

The above article doesn't say what mg to take. I have been taking a regular aspirin in the morning and at night. I chew it up and drink some water with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
DocWils, How far apart should one space aspirin and bp meds if they are taken at the same time of day? My bp meds are taken AM and PM. In AM I also take aspirin and 750mg of Niacin. Thanks for any "clues" about timing and spacing of these meds.
Post Reply Post Reply
Current practice here is one to four hours - while it is true that aspirin has a half life of 24 hours or so, the first hour after taking it is when the peak saturation of it is in your blood, after that it settles relatively fast and the effect of digestion is dissipated, and it is this effect that can alter the effectiveness of BP medication, not the blood concentration levels. So, taking them together can cause the process by which the body absorbs the medication to be altered (it may not, BTW, this is something that is individual).

As for taking aspirin at night to prevent early morning heart attacks, the effect of aspirin is cumulative, not single dose - it is the general lowering of inflammation that has the positive effect here, not a single dose to reduce clotting or other factors. Research has shown continual inflammation as being a major factor in heart disease, stroke and some cancers. Taking a daily aspirin can help to keep that factor reduced (there is one very good study that demonstrated that every other was just as good). Evening dosage has a greater effect as an anti thrombolitic, meaning that it is better at preventing early morning strokes, since strokes more often occur at those times. Please note that while research has noted lowered incidence of heart attack, it has not shown lowered incidence of heart death. And there are other complications, like bleeding or so. We tend to recommend morning ingestion more because people find it easier to consistently take something when they get up, but are more erratic at taking pills before bed, so the consistency is very important for aspirin to have an effect. If you CAN remember to take it at night, it is in fact slightly better.

So there is nothing wrong with taking aspirin at night, the short term (over night) effect is relatively better, but long term effectiveness does not conform to any particular time of ingestion. Our guidelines provide for both morning and evening, but the caveats concerning what medications are taken with them are the main concern, as well as the risk of bleeding. If you do take at night, buffered or not, take a bit of bread or something with it to absorb the acid and avoid an upset tummy. Or take a ppi or a Diovol with it. Non of this will reduce your risk of bleeding, because the bleeding is caused by another factor, and not from the acid produced in the stomach during digestion.

I could go into the details of Cox-1 and Cox-2 effects, etc, but frankly that is all technical. There are real risks to taking daily aspirin because it is an anti prostaglandin, and the risk of inhibiting kidney function and blood flow, increasing blood pressure, especially in elderly people, has been clearly demonstrated. In addition, there is no effect on people below 50 demonstrated. Current recommendations world wide restrict healthy men below the age of 45 from taking it, and there is no reliable data for those over 75, besides the increased risk of higher blood pressure and kidney malfunction. The protective aspect does not seem to extend to women who are healthy at any age. If you are taking taking other antiplatelet drugs such as clopidogrel (Plavix), prasugrel (Effient), or dipyridamole (Persantine), taking anticoagulants such as warfarin (Coumadin), or having uncontrolled hypertension or a previous hemorrhagic stroke, don't take a daily aspirin. Buffered aspirin does not reduce the risk of bleeding, it is the Cox-1 inhibitor role that is the problem, and that has nothing to do with buffered or non buffered.
Post Reply Post Reply
I take a full strength aspirin in the morning and at night when I go to bed. I chew mine and follow it with lots of water lol
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 851 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,111 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,342 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,235 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,202 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.