Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do any of you take aspirin at night?
RE: Do any of you take aspirin at night?
By full strength I assume you mean between 250 mg and 500 mg? That may be a bit much - in fact, it is against almost every advice I know of. You are dangerously lowering your prostaglandin levels and risking internal bleeding, ulcerations and host of other problems with your kidneys and your blood pressure, and if you are below 45, it will do nothing for you to reduce any heart attack risk, and over 75 may even kill you. I suggest you review your method with your physician as there are few good reasons for such a practice that I am aware of.

Guidelines in all cases is to asses the % risk factor for a heart attack in your age group and your given physical shape and dose with low does aspirin accordingly, or not if you are fit and in good shape no matter what your age.
Post Reply Post Reply
325 I think it is. I am over 45 and younger than 75. I was told the other day that heart attacks in those under 50 are much different than heart attacks that occur when someone is over 50 and that those that have heart attacks at under 50 are more likely to die from them than those over 50. I don't know where they got the information but found it interesting and will look for studies pertaining to that when I get a little time.

Fortunately, I don't have high blood pressure!! Yea!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I take two Aspirin around 2/3AM after my 10PM Hydrocodone has worn off because I'm not supposed to take it again till 6AM. I do the same when my Tramadol starts to wear off. It supp rises me that simple Aspirin can work almost as good as the above mentioned drugs.
Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, DocWils, for your detailed explanation about aspirin and blood pressure medications. No wonder my blood pressure seems to be going up and up and I get older. I've been taking 325mg every-other-day for the past 38 years - not so much for my heart in the beginning, but for giant optic nerve head drusen which rendered me "legally blind" and unable to drive 20 years ago. I think I'll take my "systemic health" more seriously now that I am approaching that age of the "elderly". I'm going to drop down to a "baby aspirin" every day for awhile and see how that affects my blood pressure. I'm a bit frightened to just stop taking aspirin suddenly (I also take digitalis for A-Fib), so I'll wean myself slowly. It's tough getting "elderly"!

THANK YOU, DocWils, for this vital "wake up call"!

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2013, 02:36 PM)MAPnea Wrote: Thanks, DocWils, for your detailed explanation about aspirin and blood pressure medications. No wonder my blood pressure seems to be going up and up and I get older. I've been taking 325mg every-other-day for the past 38 years - not so much for my heart in the beginning, but for giant optic nerve head drusen which rendered me "legally blind" and unable to drive 20 years ago. I think I'll take my "systemic health" more seriously now that I am approaching that age of the "elderly". I'm going to drop down to a "baby aspirin" every day for awhile and see how that affects my blood pressure. I'm a bit frightened to just stop taking aspirin suddenly (I also take digitalis for A-Fib), so I'll wean myself slowly. It's tough getting "elderly"!

I agree that information that Doc Willis provided was very informative and detailed. I did take aspirin this morning but I took a coated adult low dose aspirin (81 mg.)

Post Reply Post Reply
If you do take aspirin, and I personally recommend to people to do so, be aware of how it works and what the possible negative effects are - it is a simple preventative, but it is not without dangers, and that is what I was trying to explain. So wise use is very important, and monitoring the effects is also very important. It can help you but it can also harm you, and in certain cases it does nothing.

The first inkling we had about the possible life prolonging effects of aspirin came from a doctor in the 1940 who got all of his patients to take a daily dose as a matter of course, no experiment intended, and at some point noticed that he had fewer heart attacks and strokes amongst his patients than did others in the local practices. He published and it started a slew of investigations that have taken another 40 years to get to our still imperfect understanding of the possible benefits and negative effects of aspirin. I know quite a few doctors here who will not allow you to take bp medication and aspirin, including my doc, and we have had several arguments about it, although I tend to defer to him when talking about treatment for me - after all, at 73 he has still seen a lot more than me and is the better gp. But I follow the published guidelines here when recommending it for my patients. Cardio aspirin here can only be bought under Rx, which is daft because you can buy full strength (500 mg) over the counter. And that shows you just how seriously the Swiss medical authorities take the question of daily aspirin. They really want it under control when used for daily ingestion, and I certainly understand why, given the dangers/benefit ratios. It is not to be taken lightly, so always consult with your doctors before starting on a regimen like daily aspirin. When taking it you have to weigh the risks against the benefit - if you are otherwise healthy and in the 6% ratio, which most men 50 to 60 will be, then the gain is probably outweighed by the negatives. I am pretty sure that it is a beneficial drug, but like all drugs, it should be used carefully.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2013, 02:36 PM)MAPnea Wrote: Thanks, DocWils, for your detailed explanation about aspirin and blood pressure medications. No wonder my blood pressure seems to be going up and up and I get older. I've been taking 325mg every-other-day for the past 38 years - not so much for my heart in the beginning, but for giant optic nerve head drusen which rendered me "legally blind" and unable to drive 20 years ago. I think I'll take my "systemic health" more seriously now that I am approaching that age of the "elderly". I'm going to drop down to a "baby aspirin" every day for awhile and see how that affects my blood pressure. I'm a bit frightened to just stop taking aspirin suddenly (I also take digitalis for A-Fib), so I'll wean myself slowly. It's tough getting "elderly"!

If that dosage was prescribe by your physician, then stick to it or at least clear it with him before tailing it off - it seems in your case to be used in a real therapeutic regimen, and in such cases it is best to make any changes in regimen under the guidance of your physician.

However, tailing off or stopping in aspirin is a relatively simple procedure - there is neither physical nor psychological addiction to the drug, and it clears the body pretty fast - a few days and all of it is out of the system. It is one of the few drugs you can go cold turkey with ease, but in your case I would recommend that you talk to your doc first - your condition may require you maintain a certain dosage level.

On the whole, I always advise that if you decide to take aspirin while on another regimen, or take it already when being put on a regimen, discuss it with your doc. In addition, and I am sure you all know this, if being considered for surgery, discuss your aspirin taking as well, because of the bleeding factor. Here we take you off aspirin for major surgery for a few days before.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will check with my cardiologist before doing anything drastic. But since my platelets were of "some concern" last time I saw him, I imagine he'll say to back off the aspirin a bit anyway. I originally took the higher dose of aspirin because my ophthalmologist (38 years ago) thought that would allow more blood to get through the drusen to my retina. Theoretical and it seems to have staved off "no light perception", but I'd rather not croak because of high blood pressure! ... and internal bleeding! So, yes, I will check with him, but for now I'm reducing the dose a bit and taking it four hours after the blood pressure meds.

Thanks again, DocWils!
Post Reply Post Reply
Because DocWils gave such good info and insight, I decided to take the 81 mg adult coated aspirin in the morning and at night rather than the 325 mg I was taking. Will discuss it with my doc soon as well. DocWils, any opinion on coated aspirin being less likely to cause bleeding, etc. than uncoated aspirin at any mg.? I don't take BP meds. Also, those that are interested, Dr. OZ has a show today (at least in the US) regarding aspirin, etc. according to a commercial I just saw. Thanks again, DocWils!!
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no particular benefit in coated vs uncoated aspirin in terms of bleeding, because it doesn't matter where the pill dissolves - the acid release isn't the cause of the bleeding, although a coated aspirin will result in a less likely upset tummy. The reason for the bleeding risk is the Cox-1 inhibition, which reduces prostaglandins that help protect the stomach, so that effect is there anyway. To avoid stomach pain and some of the superficial bleeding that greater acid production will create, take a PPI like omeprazol with or just before the aspirin.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,109 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,340 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,233 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,201 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.