Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do cats attack CPAPs or their plastic parts?
Do cats attack CPAPs or their plastic parts?
Saw my DME today and got my CPAP. The woman who set me up with the machine said that cats have been known to chew on the plastic of the mask or supplies. Has anyone found this to be the case with their pets? I was more worried about the cat freaking out from the noise or playing with the hose, seeing it as a large string or something. Or being bothered by the noise.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Do cats attack CPAPs or their plastic parts?
That would depend on the cat.  We have four and one of them sleeps curled up next to me.  She was a little curious about the air coming out of the mask the first night, but she lost interest quickly.  She is happy as long as the hose is not in HER spot!  Too-funny
If yours are more curious and like to chew on lamp cords and such you may want to consider a cover for the hose....
Using a 13" MacBook Air (2017), MacOS Catalina (10.15.6), OSCAR v1.1.1
In a VM: Win10 1909 (18363.836)

Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching images and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR Data Interpretation
Post Reply Post Reply
I have two cats and neither of them could care less. 
They didn't even sniff around to see what's going on.
They just keep doing what they've always done.  
Maybe they're thinking... If it's OK for our pet human... then it's OK by us.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have two cats. At night, they sleep in the garage. During the day, they roam the house. Never seen either of them mess with my CPAP machine or it's hose. 

During the day, they will sometimes nap on the bed near the foot. Neither has shown any interest at all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Have three cats and only one has shown any interest in the hose. I use a hose cover to keep little teeth away from it and it has worked quite well. Looking for a cover for the unit as this same cat has learned to step on the machine and turn it off. She does this some mornings if one of us doesn't get up to feed her. Oh, and that is at 3 in the morning. Wouldn't change it for the world.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ours were initially curious, but have never attached the machine or accessories.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think my cats would ever get too close to the tube, they are very scared of it and it hissing sounds that it makes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
We are owned by 5 cats and they want nothing to do with the machine. The hose now and then will intrigue them to make them want to chew it because I have it draped up over the headboard so it is out of the way but they have not touched my mask at all....
Post Reply Post Reply
My current cat is completely disinterested unless the mask vent is blowing directly on him, and then he moves away. My last cat liked to lie underneath the mask vent (too close to me!!). Neither have/had ever scratched or clawed or chewed on any bits. Both are/were carpet and curtain shredders.
Post Reply Post Reply
Our two don't but my mother in law's cat chewed holes in her hose. I put a piece of flexible plastic corrugated wire loom on her cpap hose and oxygen hose. It is slit down the side and slips on easily. Auto supply stores like NAPA and Autozone carry it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elon Musk donates CPAPs. Big Guy 1 255 04-03-2020, 09:43 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  P's Neck (and misc pieces parts) PaulaO2 14 2,012 12-19-2015, 08:18 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Huh? Low-salt diet ups risk of fatal heart attack? ApneaNews 15 5,413 10-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Don in Austin
  Cats being jerks for no apparent reason cbramsey 2 1,912 03-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Last Post: cbramsey
  Proof that Cats are better than Dogs!!!!! cbramsey 13 5,426 01-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Shastzi
  An Engineer's Guide to Cats cbramsey 2 1,733 01-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Parts is parts mjbearit 0 1,280 06-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Last Post: mjbearit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.