Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do machines lose effectiveness over several years?
Do machines lose effectiveness over several years?
Went for my annual check with sleep doctor. He turned pressure up a notch as my numbers had changed slightly. It is my first adjustment in 6 years. He also said I should think about getting a new machine in another year or two. According to him, they lose effectiveness over a number of years of use (he said in 7-8 years is the norm). Has anyone else been told this? Just curious to know if this is accurate. My machine seems in good shape as far as I can see. I take good care of it.

He also said it would be a good idea to consider while I have good insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do machines lose effectiveness over several years?
A backup machine is always good to have.
5 years is considered a machines lifetime. Ask if you can get one now.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's always good to have a back up machine.

Your profile indicates you have a Autoset, but your pressure is set at 10? Since you have a machine that auto-adjusts the pressure, I highly recommend that you show us your SleepyHead (now OSCAR) reports so we can see if you might be better served by a range of pressures instead of a fixed pressure.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with bonjour and Sleepster.

Keep the current machine but request a new replacement. Also post results of sleep reports via OSCAR so we may give hints, suggestions, etc. on making your therapy the best possible. Best to ya.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Resmed S9 came up with a warning stating "Motor hours exceeded, contact service provider" After about 5 years use.  It was still working fine.  The Hospital dept replaced it for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
your health profile changes, machines get better, everything breaks down sometime and unless it totally fails it's difficult tell when a machine is no longer at 100%.
The spare is a huge thing. Medicare and most insurance says a new machine every 5 years and they have a reason for this (it does cost them money)
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2019, 12:01 PM)Hackitt Wrote: My Resmed S9 came up with a warning stating "Motor hours exceeded, contact service provider" After about 5 years use.  It was still working fine.  The Hospital dept replaced it for me.

This is interesting ... did you have to give the old one back?
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doc from h-ll gave me issues for 12 years.
One issue...he wouldn't replace my first cpap until it broke. It was over 8 years old when I reported it broken.
He sold me one through the clinic that the hospital owned. I had 3 choices. Expensive. More Expensive. Unbelievably Expensive.
It was a package, and I had no choice in nasal masks.

When I replaced the first 8 year old unit the new one was much quieter. And noise had been an issue for my wife, who patiently put up with my treatment for years.

So my experience is: old machines may be noisier than they should be. I'd call that "worn out".

Hope this helps.

BTW I finally have a good sleep doc. I feel very lucky. And my DME (supplier) is hard working, honest, and expensive. My cpap therapy is much better now.

And I come here to learn how to be my own advocate so I may enjoy better care and treatment. This is a wonderful forum with wonderful people. I have so much to learn.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
nope you can keep it, at least I did and no one asked for it

There are many "should" and many "in reality" issues with insurance and Health Care. You should be able to buy your CPAP anywhere you want. You may have to submit a claim or they may submit it for you. Pretty sure that as long as you are not changing therapy types (CPAP,BiPAP, ASV) or settings, I think when you get a new one is up to your insurance company and not by your Doctor, but then again the Doctor may need to write a new script or justification letter.
Most insurance just follows medicare guidelines and they say five years.

Talk to all sources that are able to provide the answer you want/need. if the Doctor says no, talk to your insurance agent
Post Reply Post Reply
like with all electronic these days, they brake easily and faster then they used to, so if you had 15+ years on your s8 or s9, id doubt you'll ever reach that on a s10 without any sort of issue popping up somewhere.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 177 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 678 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 541 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 291 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.