Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do naps count toward compliance?
Do naps count toward compliance?
Asking for the spouse, who asked me and I had no clue

About 6 days in
Mask: Amara View - fit 99%, virtually no leaks, her AHI has come way down
CPAP: Dreamstation Autopap

Just started CPAP a week ago, doing pretty well. Avg. about 3-4 a night, trying to get it up to 5-7 per night. Out of 7 nights so far, only 2 have been under 4 hours. Her allergies make it tough. The other two nights: 1 hour and 3.3 hours

On sunday afternoon at 2pm, if she takes a nap for 2 hours, but then can only wear it 2-3 hours during the same night for some reason, would that still count as 5 hours for compliance purposes? (4-5 hours over two sessions?)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do naps count toward compliance?
Welcome to the forum, pinetree.

Any time spend using the cpap machine counts toward compliance. Naps, watching tv, reading...you get the idea. They can all help the patient stay compliant until they get their therapy dialed in and they get comfortable with their machine.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Basically, the insurance company wants to know if you are using it as it is somewhat pricey equipment.
She should talk with them.

And as far as the short sleep periods, that might be something with which the doc could help.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
This board is full of great information. Appreciate it!

The thing that has been a pleasant surprise is how quiet the machine is. I was kinda thinking there might be more of a respiratory 'breath in" or "breath out" sound but really unless the machine occasionally changes pressures to help her breathing or there's an occasional faint squeak or blowing sound from a smalll leak (is that what I am hearing?), the mask and the machine are virtually silent 98% of the time. I've read where venting from the masks can make some noise, but the Amara View simply doesn't doesn't make any that I can tell.

She says she's quickly getting used to it and doesn't really mind wearing it, and I'm sleeping so much better because she's not snoring and I don't have to worry about her breathing at night--the machine is doing a nice job of that.

One other question: when traveling, for the humidifier...do most big hotels in major cities have distilled water on hand? Or can one use tap water for a few days?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never had problems with tap and bottled water. Never used distilled in the past 10 years, so I bet you will get by just fine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While I use distilled water at home, I use bottled water when traveling or camping. Bottled water is much easier to to transport than an open jug of distilled water.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
depends on the water source. my well water does not test as particularly hard but is full of iron sediment. I installed a small spin down sediment filter and the house came with a water softener. these help remove the bad taste and reduce (but don't completely inhibit) rust stains on fixtures. oddly, 'hard water' build up is a constant issue. between iron, calcium, lime and whatever, including water softener salt, I avoid using my tap (well) water in the humidifier except in a pinch.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2018, 04:31 PM)sheepless Wrote: depends on the water source.  my well water does not test as particularly hard but is full of iron sediment.  I installed a small spin down sediment filter and the house came with a water softener. these help remove the bad taste and reduce (but don't completely inhibit) rust stains on fixtures.  oddly, 'hard water' build up is a constant issue.  between iron, calcium, lime and whatever, including water softener salt, I avoid using my tap (well) water in the humidifier except in a pinch.

Get a Zero Water pitcher. Makes the water taste great and it works in the humidifier without leaving a deposit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
there's a thought. we used to have a water pitcher with filter, britta maybe? forgotten all about it. still around somewhere I'll bet. will that do? might pencil out if desirable for other reasons but I wonder if filters are more expensive than distilled water at grocery store.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board.

Any CPAP use counts towards the compliance. When new to CPAP therapy, lots use theirs while reading, watching a TV show, etc. so they can adjust the mask or to get used to the machine. And of course while actually sleeping.

As for the water, unless yours has particularly high mineral content, you'll be OK with plain water. I use distilled because my water has high limestone (I think). Higher mineral content in the water you use only means you'll probably need to clean the humidifier tank a bit more often, to get rid of deposits.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you regain CPAP coverage after failing compliance the first time? dharma2255 4 121 2 hours ago
Last Post: dharma2255
  ResMed Air 10 can't count CaptainEven 6 324 03-02-2024, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 313 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,643 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 458 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  compliance question singergal67 7 681 06-10-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: singergal67
  Vacation - CPAP compliance was amazing, now home and I'm struggling again Muhlyssa 3 523 05-26-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Muhlyssa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.