Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can use some advice on what to expect and what to do first.
RE: Can use some advice on what to expect and what to do first.
You can go to any DME of your choosing. If you are using some form of insurance for payment, you need to find one that is in your network, or else you will be picking the complete tab.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2020, 04:24 PM)Canuck 2 Wrote: I do not understand why they would not give a person what they want. 

Perhaps it's similar to a pharmacy refusing to dispense the name brand medication when they have the generic readily available for super cheap to them. I don't really know.

But for sure it's because they can make more money off the transaction by selling you the cheaper model. DMEs are a for-profit business.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2020, 05:40 PM)Hydrangea Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 04:24 PM)Canuck 2 Wrote: I do not understand why they would not give a person what they want. 

Perhaps it's similar to a pharmacy refusing to dispense the name brand medication when they have the generic readily available for super cheap to them.

How True, just a good way to simplify it as you mentioned!
Post Reply Post Reply
Call your health insurance customer service and ask which DMEs are in-network near you. Start close, and as necessary, increase the circle further away. Over basic example: Hi this is Biff at XYZ insurance. Hi I'm Dave. OK Hi Dave, can I get address phone number etc. Sure, it's XYZ and 1234567890. Great, got your info. How can I help? I'm looking for a DME near my home zip 12345. I need to get a CPAP. OK hang on Dave. tap tap....OK we have x y z that's in town, state. Here's addresses and numbers. Thanks Biff.

Yes Dave is probably kwazy but you get the point. I did that to get my ASV in '17. My health insurance at that time had national DMEs and those were on top. Then we get info for regional/local. What you need to do is call Biff or whoever at the insurance, get 3-6 contacts for DMEs, look 'em up on Google. Then map them, and call. Sort through the contact list for possibles and cross off liars like you just met. Of that list, have at least 2 you like. Call your most liked and ask about issuing the AutoSet and your mask choice(s). Establish a grade system, liars and ones that excuse not giving you an AutoSet fail. Others will pass and these that have passing grades get your business. Having at least 2 to work from means if one fails, you still have a possible. If you cross all off, call Biff and get a new list. Repeat the whole thing. Continue it until you have a good feel for the DME as a good biz relationship.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
E0601 is the valid code for an AutoSet, also for the Elite.

The DME is a for-profit organization.  They get paid, by your insurance, the same for either the Elite, or the AutoSet.  The Elite cost them less.  Which one do they make more money on?  Your cost is the same for either.  Believe me, there is more than enough profit in this that it will make very little difference to them.

You also got advice to change your DME.  This DME will, based on their response, always try to give you the cheapest replacements, which often will not be the same quality as the OEMs.  

You have the right and ability to choose a different DME, the prescription is valid for a AutoSet as well as an Elite which is NOT cited on the prescription as well.  The AutoSet would be set to CPAP mode, Pressure=7, EPR=3 Full Time, but there is no way it is not valid for an AutoSet.

Stick to your guns and insist on the AutoSet.  You will have this device for the next 5+ years.
Post Reply Post Reply
SarcasticDave has good advice for finding a DME that takes your insurance.

I went a different route, but with the same idea. I looked on Yelp for DMEs ("medical supplies", "CPAP supplies", etc. - I typed in several things), and called them to find out if they sell CPAP supplies. (I was thwarted by one that told me they do sell CPAP masks, but when I went in to the store I realized they sell CPR masks. LOL Ugh.) Then I asked if they take my insurance. And then I asked them some questions, which helped me get to know them pretty well. If they were clueless or curt, then I crossed them off my list.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 15 263 46 minutes ago
Last Post: iamJB
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 168 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 857 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,790 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 787 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.