Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do sleep aids effect sleep study results
Do sleep aids effect sleep study results
Did a search and found a post that pretty much asked just that question but no answer followed. So, do sleep aids like ambien, Ativan , klonopin or other benzos effect sleep study results?  If so, in what way?  Does one med effect results less than another?   I am a chronic insomniac, along with several other sleep related issues, which frustrates both myself and the sleep techs.  Having all the gear on only compounds the issue. Should I use a sleep aid for my next sleep study or is it better to do the study in my “natural state.”   Also, how many hours of sleep is generally required for a valid sleep study?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do sleep aids effect sleep study results
I used ambient when needed, was told use sleep-pill when pick up machine for sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
Always preferred to use no meds. But if you need a sleep aid then use it.
From my experience a ROT is 2 hrs min.
I have not looked for studies on the use of sleep aids during sleep tests.

When looking for Sleep Apnea I don't think it has much if any impact. I identifying any other sleep disorders I don't know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Given that I just did a new sleep study, and this time with Ambien, I'd say what can be affected is sleep onset time. All my other studies had about an hour and maybe more onset time. This one was something like 3 min.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using OTC sleep aids from Costco for some time now. When I took my two night, in-lab sleep study, I told them about the sleep aids and they said no problem. 

Once in a while, if I'm very tired, I can get by w/o using them. But, that's an exception and not the rule. I've tried different OTC sleep aids and the ones from Costco work the best for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doctor prescribed Ambian for the sleep study. Good thing or I wouldn't have slept! I had never used sleep aids, other than Melatonin, before.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started using Ambien about 4 months ago. I've never had trouble falling asleep, but now I have a lot of issues with staying asleep. I took a sleep study about 2 weeks ago, trying for a new and different machine (Resmed AirCurve 10 ASV). The sleep study guy said 'no sleep, no study'. He wanted me to take the pill. I thnk they need about 4 hours of sleep for valid results. Its my 5th study, the other four was before I started taking Ambien. I did buy Melatonin 10mg the other day -- the package says to not take it if allergic to ragweed. I don't know what exactly I'm allergic to but I do get summertime hay fever so I haven't taken it yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the extended release Melatonin--5mg. Kind of hard to find--I get it via mail at Costco. It seems to work pretty well for me--go right back to sleep when I wake up during the night. I'm supposedly allergic to Pigweed--doesn't seem to be a problem with the melatonin,
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dr told me to take my Ambien before my in lab sleep study. and anything else I may normally take. He wanted the test to be as close as possible to what I do on a daily basis.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can we all try no pill sleep and with pill and post results here to see what's is the difference?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 76 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 73 1,658 Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 73 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 60 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.