Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do throat exercises cure sleep apnea?
RE: Do throat exercises cure sleep apnea?
(08-15-2013, 12:48 PM)Paptillian Wrote:
(08-15-2013, 12:27 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: While regular didgeridoo playing could theoretically cure very mild obstructive apnea, the most many could hope for is a reduction in PAP treatment pressure necessary for successful therapy.

"Honey, good news... my snoring won't annoy you anymore. I bought a didgeridoo!"

Does anybody know of even a single confirmed case of somebody controlling their apnea playing the didgeridoo? Somehow, i suspect not.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2013, 09:44 PM)Don in Austin Wrote:
(08-15-2013, 12:27 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: While regular didgeridoo playing could theoretically cure very mild obstructive apnea, the most many could hope for is a reduction in PAP treatment pressure necessary for successful therapy.

"Honey, good news... my snoring won't annoy you anymore. I bought a didgeridoo!"

Does anybody know of even a single confirmed case of somebody controlling their apnea playing the didgeridoo? Somehow, i suspect not.

http://www.bmj.com/content/332/7536/266#alternate
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2013, 09:44 PM)Don in Austin Wrote:

The answer is yes, there are several trials that show the effectiveness of it, but with a caveat - on its own, it will handle mild apnoea, but it is not a cure, merely a method of toning the throat - unless the cause of the loss of tone is also removed (usually, but not always, weight) there is no lasting effect - when combined with significant weight loss, there is a strong effect and once the effect is achieved, it tends to linger even after the therapy is curtailed - if there is no removal of the cause of apnoea, however, only constant return to playing (three times a week once tone is achieved) maintains the effect. Please read my earlier responses in this thread to for greater detail.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. I have a didgeridoo. I find it quite difficult to play even though I have a very long history of playing wind instruments. I played in a symphony since age 8; and I went to music conservatory to study flute. I have quite healthy lungs and the ability to play all wind instruments. When I got the didgeridoo I was surprised how difficult it is. I can blow it. But I cannot master circular breathing. I used to do circular breathing on the flute. It is very difficult. I cannot master circular breathing on the didgeridoo. I thought that I could improve my apnea by mastering this instrument by playing just 20 minutes a day because that is what the study subjects did, they played only 20 minutes a day for 4 months and their apnea improved.

I am sure there is no way I can do it. (It is so boring and takes loads of wind.) Besides I have had the CPAP for less than a month and I can already sleep half way through the night. So much easier!

In addition, the didgeridoo has such a limited scope when you can barely blow it that it would be hard to stay motivated to keep trying. With other wind instruments, you can play a tune even before you perfect your tone which is motivating for a beginner. However with the didgeridoo, it requires so much ability/skill at blowing just the right way, just to make one different sound, than the first sound when you blow.
I am 56 years old. Too old to work so hard at an instrument with the main intention of improving my apnea.
I would just stick with the CPAP even though it is really uncomfortable. I am so surprised that I can already sleep for 4 hrs a night on it. (I was so nervous the first two weeks.)

Hang in there.
Kimberly from HonoluluSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
It has been shown that singing exercises will also help with sleep apnea. Again with the loss of weight and all that others have referenced.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 360 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 619 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 296 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 134 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 584 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.