Machine: RESMED S9 VPAP AUTO
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Dental device, Quattro FX
Humidifier: RESMED H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4.0-12.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Using TPAP custom dental device, with VPAP/BiPAP

Sex: Male

RE: Do throat exercises cure sleep apnea?
(08-15-2013 12:48 PM)Paptillian Wrote:  
(08-15-2013 12:27 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote:  While regular didgeridoo playing could theoretically cure very mild obstructive apnea, the most many could hope for is a reduction in PAP treatment pressure necessary for successful therapy.

"Honey, good news... my snoring won't annoy you anymore. I bought a didgeridoo!"

Does anybody know of even a single confirmed case of somebody controlling their apnea playing the didgeridoo? Somehow, i suspect not.
08-26-2013 09:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
jgjones1972 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 - 20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50I PulseOx

(08-26-2013 09:44 PM)Don in Austin Wrote:  
(08-15-2013 12:27 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote:  While regular didgeridoo playing could theoretically cure very mild obstructive apnea, the most many could hope for is a reduction in PAP treatment pressure necessary for successful therapy.

"Honey, good news... my snoring won't annoy you anymore. I bought a didgeridoo!"

Does anybody know of even a single confirmed case of somebody controlling their apnea playing the didgeridoo? Somehow, i suspect not.

http://www.bmj.com/content/332/7536/266#alternate
08-26-2013 11:07 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(08-26-2013 09:44 PM)Don in Austin Wrote:  

The answer is yes, there are several trials that show the effectiveness of it, but with a caveat - on its own, it will handle mild apnoea, but it is not a cure, merely a method of toning the throat - unless the cause of the loss of tone is also removed (usually, but not always, weight) there is no lasting effect - when combined with significant weight loss, there is a strong effect and once the effect is achieved, it tends to linger even after the therapy is curtailed - if there is no removal of the cause of apnoea, however, only constant return to playing (three times a week once tone is achieved) maintains the effect. Please read my earlier responses in this thread to for greater detail.
08-27-2013 05:21 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
kfujioka Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Bipap system one auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Air fit P10 and The Hybrid
Humidifier: System One heated humidifier & heated tube
CPAP Pressure: 12/07 for bipap
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: New to sleep apnea however think I have had it for a year because started having symptoms a year ago

Sex: Female

Hi. I have a didgeridoo. I find it quite difficult to play even though I have a very long history of playing wind instruments. I played in a symphony since age 8; and I went to music conservatory to study flute. I have quite healthy lungs and the ability to play all wind instruments. When I got the didgeridoo I was surprised how difficult it is. I can blow it. But I cannot master circular breathing. I used to do circular breathing on the flute. It is very difficult. I cannot master circular breathing on the didgeridoo. I thought that I could improve my apnea by mastering this instrument by playing just 20 minutes a day because that is what the study subjects did, they played only 20 minutes a day for 4 months and their apnea improved.

I am sure there is no way I can do it. (It is so boring and takes loads of wind.) Besides I have had the CPAP for less than a month and I can already sleep half way through the night. So much easier!

In addition, the didgeridoo has such a limited scope when you can barely blow it that it would be hard to stay motivated to keep trying. With other wind instruments, you can play a tune even before you perfect your tone which is motivating for a beginner. However with the didgeridoo, it requires so much ability/skill at blowing just the right way, just to make one different sound, than the first sound when you blow.
I am 56 years old. Too old to work so hard at an instrument with the main intention of improving my apnea.
I would just stick with the CPAP even though it is really uncomfortable. I am so surprised that I can already sleep for 4 hrs a night on it. (I was so nervous the first two weeks.)

Hang in there.

Kimberly from HonoluluSleep-well
09-07-2014 12:44 AM
Blaifarm Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Philips Respironicss Wisp Nasal Mask
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 5 - 15
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

It has been shown that singing exercises will also help with sleep apnea. Again with the loss of weight and all that others have referenced.
12-30-2014 01:07 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Angry [News] DANGER OF UNDIAGNOSED SLEEP APNEA srlevine1 7 552 11-21-2016 03:26 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Central Sleep Apnea? wayne99 8 768 11-20-2016 06:39 AM
Last Post: wayne99
  Sleep Apnea Alphabet Soup ladytimes 2 216 11-13-2016 02:16 PM
Last Post: ladytimes
  [News] Vitamin D - possible help for sleep apnea patients? ApneaNews 46 14,034 10-28-2016 05:01 PM
Last Post: scotty
  Sleep Apnea Surgery zeeser 5 597 10-26-2016 02:42 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Ordered a Auto CPAP / Was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea jakthebomb 15 815 10-18-2016 08:00 AM
Last Post: southerndoc
  Unable to clear throat while on APAP NorthernGuy 5 313 10-17-2016 08:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider