Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do we really need to clean this stuff?
RE: Do we really need to clean this stuff?
I use tap water and empty/refill every day/night. I run my humidifier on 0 - air passes over the water. I wipe out the mask most mornings and if I wash it and the headgear do it in the shower with whatever body wash I have. Let them air dry. I have a ten foot hose and it rarely gets washed as it runs through a couple of mounts and it is a royal PITA to pull off the hose cover to wash it. Usually when the hose cover goes in the washer, I will also clean the hose. Filters changed on a regular basis. I get 6-8 weeks out of a mask so I have plenty of spares (insurance gives me three every 80 days).
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
So things like wet ones or Clorox wipes are okay? No need to buy fancy wipes? I’m trying to strike a happy medium between efficiency, cost and taking care of things.

I know mileage varies, just don’t want to disintegrate my mask in a week or something.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2020, 04:16 PM)melodyknit0375 Wrote: So things like wet ones or Clorox wipes are okay? No need to buy fancy wipes?  I’m trying to strike a happy medium between efficiency, cost and taking care of things.

On amazon, RespLabs CPAP wipes are currently $9.99 for 110 plus 2 travel wipes. Or $24 for three packages of 110. That would be about 7.4 cents per wipe. Clorox wipes are $15 for three packages of 70 each, which is 6.9 cents per wipe. Wet ones are generally more expensive. I don't think the cost of these CPAP wipes is very special.

I bought the RespLab wipes and they seem good, not that I'm an expert.  There are many products that are "unscented" but still have a good bit of smell. These are very, very scent-free. The active ingredient is CPC, a quaternary ammonium compound noted for being non-irritating. Clorox wipes also use quarternary ammonium compounds (they don't generally contain bleach, surprising) but they may be more irritating and will likely have a slightly stronger fragrance.

After the equipment dries out, probably there is little residue from any of these.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2020, 05:09 PM)farnsy Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 04:16 PM)melodyknit0375 Wrote: So things like wet ones or Clorox wipes are okay? No need to buy fancy wipes?  I’m trying to strike a happy medium between efficiency, cost and taking care of things.

On amazon, RespLabs CPAP wipes are currently $9.99 for 110 plus 2 travel wipes. Or $24 for three packages of 110. That would be about 7.4 cents per wipe. Clorox wipes are $15 for three packages of 70 each, which is 6.9 cents per wipe. Wet ones are generally more expensive. I don't think the cost of these CPAP wipes is very special.

I bought the RespLab wipes and they seem good, not that I'm an expert.  There are many products that are "unscented" but still have a good bit of smell. These are very, very scent-free. The active ingredient is CPC, a quaternary ammonium compound noted for being non-irritating. Clorox wipes also use quarternary ammonium compounds (they don't generally contain bleach, surprising) but they may be more irritating and will likely have a slightly stronger fragrance.

After the equipment dries out, probably there is little residue from any of these.

These are what I use too ^^ and agree with you I'd like to avoid the harsh chemicals of Clorox or Lysol wipes

My regimen (I have a reverse-osmosis system that removes 99.9% of the impurities from our VERY HARD (heavy calcium) water):

Daily
- Clean full face mask every morning with RespLabs CPAP Wipe
- Remove humidifier tank after machine has completed cool-down and sit it next to Airsense machine, closed. (It builds condensation if left in the machine so I just take it out)
- Leave hose connected

Every few days
- Remove humidifier tank, clean with hot water and Dawn antibacterial dish soap, rinse with reverse-osmosis water, leave out to dry

Once monthly
- Run hot water and Dawn antibacterial dish soap through hose. Rinse hose with reverse-osmosis water, hang to dry
- Change inlet filter

But I've only been at this for 1.5 months so this could change  Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Not to change the subject too much, but what reverse osmosis system do you use? Is there a reason to use that instead of a countertop distiller (I have the impression most RO systems put minerals back into the water because they expect you to drink it)? Distilled water is very cheap but I've been thinking of buying a countertop distiller so I don't have to remember to get it.
Post Reply Post Reply
AFAIK, no RO filtration systems add nutrients or minerals back into their product.  That's why, whenever possible, people should NOT resort to bottled water, sparkling water, and RO water; there is so little left in it with any salutary impact, except for the H2O, that it should only be used when the only reasonable available alternative would be....unreasonable...or unsafe.  Or, when one can be assured of getting what one needs from other sources such as fruits and vegetables.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. I haven’t done full research of price breakdown of all the little random things, but I wasn’t going to use clorox wipes. I had some wet ones around the house so I was more curious about those.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using Clorox anti-bacterial wipes since day #1 of SA Therapy, 17 months ago. They work fine, and don't leave a smell or aroma behind. 

I've experienced no problems or issues with them being harsh on my face mask. No issues with skin irritation either.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:No need to buy fancy wipes? 

Household cleaning supplies are not Flexible Spending Account/Health Savings Account eligible. 
I.E. Even though I wash my mask with Dawn dishwashing soap I can't pay for the soap with my health savings account, it's a normal household cleaning item not a 'medically necessary' cleaning item. The IRS will have a fit.
If I buy a bottle of 'CPAP mask cleaner' which is pretty much the same stuff as Dawn dish soap then I can pay for it with my Health Savings account.
Hence you will find a lot of products that have the word 'CPAP' on the package that are pretty much the same as normal household cleaning supplies.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2020, 05:40 PM)farnsy Wrote: Not to change the subject too much, but what reverse osmosis system do you use? Is there a reason to use that instead of a countertop distiller (I have the impression most RO systems put minerals back into the water because they expect you to drink it)? Distilled water is very cheap but I've been thinking of buying a countertop distiller so I don't have to remember to get it.

I use a GE (yes, General Electric) R.O. system sold at most big box stores and online (Amazon) for about $160.00. I've installed these in my homes and installed them for friends and family. None have failed, and most importantly GE has not changed the design in 17 years, thus the filters and R.O. membrane are always and easily available. 

GE Under Sink Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System
Manuf. Model # GXRM10RBL

What you're thinking about are the systems that have a "re-calcification" or "pH-enhancing" final filter. I don't use that (don't want it) so the water I have is pretty pure.

Also, distilled water is not as clean as R.O. water; distilled filtration systems are more expensive, cost more to maintain, and don't last as long. Does R.O. waste more water? Yes, but by adding a permeate pump to your system you reduce the 4:1 waste ratio to 1:1.

If you have more questions send me a Personal Message on this forum so we don't totally derail this thread.  Wink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 7 214 04-16-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 350 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 504 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,395 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  [Mod Note] Keep Your Stuff Together SuperSleeper 1 1,737 12-21-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Suggestions on how to clean a Resmed S10 motor? texquad 5 974 09-01-2023, 02:24 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Advice on how to clean F20 Airtouch? raptosnorus 4 755 06-30-2023, 08:23 PM
Last Post: snorin2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.