Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do we really need to clean this stuff?
RE: Do we really need to clean this stuff?
Thanks for the water treatment suggestion. I have a cottage where this will be perfect.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had 2 sinus infections now in the 4 months I have been on CPAP. I clean my machine religiously now and use my LUMIN disinfection machine as well a few times a week, even on the filters....ITs just gross to those of you who post that you never clean your machines, I just wonder what your houses look like? Ewwww....
Post Reply Post Reply
I use dish detergent and warm water to clean my gear, and a tubing brush. I wash the cushion daily to remove face oils.

I have a water softener and use that water in my humidifier tub, rinsing it out and letting it dry each morning. Occasionally I use peroxide to remove any bio film that accumulates in the tub.

I see no need for any kind of wipes.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have two pillows in my P10 that I rotate each day and handwash them in the sink briefly with soap (day to dry). I empty my humidifier each night and replace the tap water. I check my filters whenever I remember (which isnt that often, although I am getting better). I don't clean my hose at all. Haven't had an issue to-date that would seem be related to my cpap setup.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use tap water. I’ve always wondered if the small residual chlorine content in tap water is sufficient to keep my humidifier free of bugs, especially if I replace the water with a fresh batch every evening. Distilled water has no chlorine, so perhaps tap water provides one advantage. I do a brief vinegar rinse once every week or two, depending on my ability to remember. However, the tap water in our locale has very little iron or other hard minerals - I’d probably be using distilled if faced with that issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have very hard water. I tried Brita filtered water in my humidifier last night. It left a significant mineral deposit in the water chamber. Back to distilled tonight. As to cleaning, my mask including headgear, my hose and my water chamber get a 10 minute soak in warm soapy water weekly. I wash the seal two or three times weekly. The headgear and diffuser (F&P Brevida) get spun dry in my washer after a tapwater rinse. Post-rinse, mask frame, hose, seal and water chamber get a 10 minute soak in a weak bleach and vinegar solution. No respiratory infections after 20ish years of this regimen. Oh, I also have COPD as a result of a two pack/day for 40 years smoking habit.

BTW, distilled water only costs $0.80/gal at a local store. Brita filters cost about $0.23/gal, so distilled is not all that costly.
MikeyT

In the Thumb of Michigan.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have very hard water in our community. I've been using tap water and I empty the water reservoir each & every morning. 

Once once in a great while, I do find a minimal amount of mineral build-up left in the reservoir. That's usually due to the water chamber running low on water. Just a bit of tissue and it wipes clean. 

If it's a bit more build-up, a bit of Vinegar left in the chamber for about 15 min.or so, does the trick.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting that you change the filter every 2 week. Have been using my machine for about 5 weeks and the technician set a reminder to change it every 2 months. It still looks ok to me, so haven't changed it. I might be a bit on overkill with the rest of the cleaning though, but I figure best to be safe than sorry.
I rinse the hose with hot tap water every one to two days and let it air dry, wash everything else daily in hot soapy water (Morning Fresh which I presume is the equivalent of Dawn - I am in Australia), rinse it all well with hot tap water and then let it air dry. I also have a glass jug with a silicone cover which I wash and rinse everyday and then fill with cool boiled tap water for the humidifier. Have just got into a routine doing it every morning and now also the added task of uploading my data on to Oscar. I am still trying to learn how to organise the charts as they have been too big to upload, but getting there.
CPAP sure is an interesting journey particularly as 6 months ago, had never heard of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, regular cleaning definitely YES.

About a year ago I noticed some respiratory problems that seemed odd. I hunted around my living space and noticed one of my curtained windows was full of moist black mold - the toxic kind. The mold spores were continuously migrating to the room air, breathed them in via the Cpap unit where they settled comfortably in their new home - the Cpap hose corrugations. I nuked the hose, Cpap fittings, filters etc with a watered-down solution of chlorine bleach followed by clean water.

To prevent a fungal recurrence I thoroughly nuked the window glass with bleach until it was also spotlessly clean.  I then lined the window glass with a layer of plastic bubble-wrap, bubbles facing the glass, to provide an insulating air-gap layer. I'll be keeping a close eye on the glass this winter!

My respiratory problems have completely gone. I imagine double-glazed windows should be fine.
You can't go back and you can't stand still, if the thunder don't get ya the lightnin' will.
Post Reply Post Reply
After 5 years of CPAP use I began last year  to develop serious allergies .  From what ( ? )  I do not know even several  months later . But since then I have become very fixed on keeping everything re CPAP  clean and filters regularly  changed . This had been huge help with the daily allergies attacks . They have dropped off by 75 % . There must be a connection   in this  ( clearly is ) and therefore for me  there is no such thing as wasted  time in the  clean at max  process .  From 2017 to 2019 I neglected 99% of necessary cleaning and filtering needs . Was very inattentive - to this .  Lesson learned for me - no going back  !

pk
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 7 147 4 hours ago
Last Post: dharma2255
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 326 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 483 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,360 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  [Mod Note] Keep Your Stuff Together SuperSleeper 1 1,722 12-21-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Suggestions on how to clean a Resmed S10 motor? texquad 5 954 09-01-2023, 02:24 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Advice on how to clean F20 Airtouch? raptosnorus 4 749 06-30-2023, 08:23 PM
Last Post: snorin2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.